Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Buddy Club Version 2 tail light Issue (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128962)

TachyonBomb 07-13-2018 07:49 PM

Buddy Club Version 2 tail light Issue

In the Buddy Club instructions that come with the tail lights it claims that 2017+ cars don't need to install the provided LED relay switch.

I installed the tail lights on my 2017 brz and the sequential turn signal mode doesn't work. But the normal non-sequential mode works fine.

Here is a video of what the sequential mode turned on looks like with the factory denso relay switch installed.

https://imgur.com/Q5W4ctN

I contacted the shop that sold me the tail lights to see what sort of feedback they are getting from other 2017+ customers.

Their reply stated that 2017+ needed the buddy club relay switch installed and the sequential function would only when the hazards are activated but not when using the turn signal.

So I installed the provided buddy club LED relay switch and the turn signal does not function at all whether in sequential mode or normal mode.

After some hunting a found a guy in Korea that showed that both turn signal and hazard sequential functions should work at the same time on a 2017+ car.

Here is a video showing the sequential function working for turn signals and hazard mode.

https://imgur.com/mVNoPZy

So what exactly needs to be done to get the sequential function to perform normally?

LED86 07-14-2018 04:52 PM

Sounds like you need a new LED relay. Try that first

NRXRaptor 07-14-2018 07:34 PM

I'm actually having almost the exact same problem with the ft86speedfactory headlights. non sequential works fine, sequential+hazards works fine, and turn signal+sequential gives hyperflash. I'm pretty damn sure that I need a hyperflash relay

TachyonBomb 07-14-2018 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LED86 (Post 3110239)
Sounds like you need a new LED relay. Try that first

So are you suggesting that I need a new factory "denso" LED relay?

or

Are you suggesting that the Buddy Club LED relay that came with the tail lights could be bad?

my issue with the Buddy Club relay seeming like its broken is that the instructions state pretty clearly that the 2017+ year cars don't need the relay.

I remember seeing a thread a while ago that mentioned the wires in some tail lights need to be switched to have sequential functions work properly with north american cars. But this was an old thread and they where talking about an older style of lights. I can't seem to find that thread unfortunately to compare if this is the same issue.

kevinpantz 07-14-2018 10:16 PM

Interested to see if you figure out what causes the issue. I was so close to ordering these today too and by chance you posted this today while I'm searching the forums about it.

fx1mark 07-15-2018 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TachyonBomb (Post 3110271)
So are you suggesting that I need a new factory "denso" LED relay?

or

Are you suggesting that the Buddy Club LED relay that came with the tail lights could be bad?

my issue with the Buddy Club relay seeming like its broken is that the instructions state pretty clearly that the 2017+ year cars don't need the relay.

I remember seeing a thread a while ago that mentioned the wires in some tail lights need to be switched to have sequential functions work properly with north american cars. But this was an old thread and they where talking about an older style of lights. I can't seem to find that thread unfortunately to compare if this is the same issue.

It sure looks like hypeflash. I would order a cheap aftermarket non-hyperflash relay and see if that solves the problem. less that 10 bucks.

gpvecchi 07-15-2018 04:18 PM

It looks that the ON time from the relay is too low

Aluma007 07-15-2018 08:54 PM

I had the same problem with the original Buddy clubs, the stock relay and the buddy club relay and some other one didn't work either...I went back and forth with FT86speedfactory with different relays until they sent me a highpower one. That made everything work correctly on my 2017.

TachyonBomb 07-15-2018 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aluma007 (Post 3110521)
I had the same problem with the original Buddy clubs, the stock relay and the buddy club relay and some other one didn't work either...I went back and forth with FT86speedfactory with different relays until they sent me a highpower one. That made everything work correctly on my 2017.

Is the brand called HighPower? Do you have a link to the exact relay that worked for you?

Aluma007 07-16-2018 01:54 PM

sorry, spelling error. I really dont know the brand, but they told me it was a high power 150 watts one. I just installed it and never really checked. They probably have it on their website.

NRXRaptor 07-16-2018 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aluma007 (Post 3110746)
sorry, spelling error. I really dont know the brand, but they told me it was a high power 150 watts one. I just installed it and never really checked. They probably have it on their website.

duly noted. my problem was semi solved by turning the car on. now when the alternator is sending power to the turn signals, they work most of the time in sequential mode, but I still get hyperflash sometimes. hopefully op gets a hyperflash relay and his problems are solved

TachyonBomb 07-16-2018 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NRXRaptor (Post 3110949)
duly noted. my problem was semi solved by turning the car on. now when the alternator is sending power to the turn signals, they work most of the time in sequential mode, but I still get hyperflash sometimes. hopefully op gets a hyperflash relay and his problems are solved

Ordered a 150W hyper flash relay off amazon today for $11 with prime shipping. so I should be able to let you know on Wednesday how it works out. :thumbsup:

NRXRaptor 07-19-2018 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TachyonBomb (Post 3110968)
Ordered a 150W hyper flash relay off amazon today for $11 with prime shipping. so I should be able to let you know on Wednesday how it works out. :thumbsup:

my breath is still bated

TachyonBomb 07-19-2018 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NRXRaptor (Post 3112141)
my breath is still bated

Because of "Prime Day" Amazon has been lagging with shipping. My tracking shows that it was delivered yesterday. I called amazon last night saying it was a no show. Amazon said it was an error on their part and will be arriving today.

To add to the whole clusterfuck, Amazon delivered my neighbors prime day shipment to my mailbox this morning by mistake. :bonk:

...So I'm just as anxious as you are haha.