Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   CANADA (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Driving without a hood ONTARIO (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128774)

MaximS 07-06-2018 03:29 PM

Driving without a hood ONTARIO

So I've got an appointment with a body shop to get my front end fixed, but I have to go pick up a hood today from the scrappers. Problem is it doesn't fit in the car. Well I called the local OPP station and was told very sternly I can't drive without a hood. But I was reading the MTO regulations and it doesn't say you can't drive without a hood, no fender isn't allowed, but no hood is OK from what I read.

Quote:

HOOD:

a)
- insecure, damaged or deteriorated in a
manner that it is likely to become
detached or missing
So that's what makes a vehicle NOT roadworthy. I told the lady politely I think she's mistaken so she got the traffic Sergeant and he confirmed it's LEGAL to drive WITHOUT a hood. I just wanted to clarify that for anyone in case someone needed to make a small trip to buy a hood or whatever, because the way it's worded almost makes it seem like it's not allowed. But if you read it again it becomes clear that the LATCH can't be damaged in a way that would risk the hood flying off or coming up and breaking the windshield. No hood itself is allowed.

highway7 07-06-2018 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaximS (Post 3107153)
So I've got an appointment with a body shop to get my front end fixed, but I have to go pick up a hood today from the scrappers. Problem is it doesn't fit in the car. Well I called the local OPP station and was told very sternly I can't drive without a hood. But I was reading the MTO regulations and it doesn't say you can't drive without a hood, no fender isn't allowed, but no hood is OK from what I read.

So that's what makes a vehicle NOT roadworthy. I told the lady politely I think she's mistaken so she got the traffic Sergeant and he confirmed it's LEGAL to drive WITHOUT a hood. I just wanted to clarify that for anyone in case someone needed to make a small trip to buy a hood or whatever, because the way it's worded almost makes it seem like it's not allowed. But if you read it again it becomes clear that the LATCH can't be damaged in a way that would risk the hood flying off or coming up and breaking the windshield. No hood itself is allowed.

So you're going to pay out of pocket to fix your car instead of just paying the deductible? What is the quote?

wbradley 07-07-2018 09:56 AM

Kills the aero but great for cooling. ��

MaximS 07-08-2018 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highway7 (Post 3107295)
So you're going to pay out of pocket to fix your car instead of just paying the deductible? What is the quote?

I got a hood and headlights for $250, so with that total about $3700. I would pay more in insurance premiums over the next 2 years...

Lynxis 07-09-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaximS (Post 3107759)
I got a hood and headlights for $250, so with that total about $3700. I would pay more in insurance premiums over the next 2 years...

Just curious how you got them so cheap. I was looking for a spare hood last year but couldn't find anything in acceptable shape for less than $450 asking price and that was just the hood!

MaximS 07-09-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynxis (Post 3108028)
Just curious how you got them so cheap. I was looking for a spare hood last year but couldn't find anything in acceptable shape for less than $450 asking price and that was just the hood!

I got super lucky on Kijiji. Apparently the guy has a pretty well modded white FRS/BRZ (I'm not sure because my buddy picked up the hood and headlights on his way to meet me) and he was just getting rid of his OEM hood and headlights. Local classifieds for the win.