Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Riken Raptor ZR (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125475)

Alfrz91 02-18-2018 01:40 PM

Riken Raptor ZR
 
Has anyone tried these out? I live in Florida so I figured I'd just slap these on since we're so warm year round. They're super cheap at just $56 a tire and the reviews on tire rack seem solid enough. Also a YouTuber tested them out on a Honda and seemed to love them, just curious if anyone here has had them? Did a search, and there were only about three posts on them and nothing substantial to take away from them.

CoolHandMoss 02-18-2018 01:44 PM

A while back I used raptors on my 300zx and I really liked them. The z32 was 3300 lbs and they lasted about 20k, which isn't great but they were very comfortable, quiet, fantastic in the rain and standing water and the grip was pretty good. It's no race tire but I liked it. Seriously the best tire in standing water that I've ever driven.

Alfrz91 02-18-2018 04:41 PM

Great to hear. Not super concerned about how long they'll last, If they last 25k I'd be happy. These are the first tires I'm putting in after the stock ones, and to be honest the first time I've ever actually don't any research on car tires at all. So I'm partly gonna be chalking them up to a learning experience on how the tires will impact the car drives. Mainly just didn't want to see anyone say anything about them being a terrible tire, but hearing how they handle in water is great seeing as how we get some serious downpours here(for 30mins then nothing)

thecarfilmer 02-19-2018 08:29 PM

I have these on my car and after about 3 months and 5k miles of driving they're holding up pretty well. Have taken it a little hard up in the twisties and they do just fine. Paid about 350 shipped for my set (235/40/18)

ZionsWrath 02-20-2018 08:34 AM

What is making you look at them. Probably because they are the cheapest summer tire available on tire rack. Oh, ok.

If thats your budget fine, but there are much better tires out there.

JazzleSAURUS 02-20-2018 10:33 AM

Your factory tires are a much higher quality tire. Your tires are the #1 area you should not cheap out on, they are what connect you to the road, literally the most important part of the driving experience.

I suggest Hankook V12's if you want something decent in the wet and a little grippier than the stock tire, or if you want a nice upgrade the Firestone Indy Hawk 500 is a Bridgestone RE0003 equivalent for the US market. Both tires are head and shoulders above the Raptor, and as such I would take that youtubers advice with a rather large grain of salt. I doubt they have much tire experience.

Personally I like the S-04 a lot, it sits below the RE0003 and RE71R. The V12 sits below the S-04, the Michelin Pilot AS3 sits around where the V12 is, but copes with cold weather better, and is remarkable for an A/S, but it is still an A/S, as such it does still have compromises. The PSS sits with the S-04, I think they are comparable as they both have trade offs, but the MPSS does outperform the S-04 in the dry slightly, with a softer sidewall and stiffer tread, where the S-04 will feel a bit more precise as the tread wears in, albeit with overall slightly lower limits, but slightly better wet performance.

If I lived in Florida and wanted a nice stiff sporty tire to enjoy my 86 with, and deal with lots of water, I'd be running the S-04, or MPSS.

http://movieboozer.com/wp-content/up...in-of-salt.jpg

Edit: I'd like to add that these ARE made as a subsidiary of michelin, so don't think it's a totally junk tire, the carcass is fine, the materials are fine, but don't expect it to perform with some of the tires that are a variant of an already high performing tire, or tires that are in a class above it.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.