Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Passenger seat cannot 'lock' ? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124120)

redwine 12-16-2017 10:23 AM

Passenger seat cannot 'lock' ?

Hello,

A recent new owner of BRZ 2017.
Just want to make sure i didnt get a lemon,
hope i describe is correctly......

This is for the front passenger seat only.

Under 'normal' condition (with someone sitting on the passenger seat),
If you pull/operate the lever underneath the front side of the seat,
you can choose to lock the seat position (in term of slide forward or backward) in any position you like.

But when you move the 'Back Piece' (vertical part of the seat) all the way towards the front dash by pulling/operating the side lever,
The forward/backward sliding function will not lock.

Is this a feature or mine not working ?

JMon85 12-16-2017 10:32 AM

Yup learned that loading my winter tires in lol..

redwine 12-16-2017 10:39 AM

So i purpose that is for the rear passenger to 'unload' themselves :)

Tcoat 12-16-2017 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwine (Post 3017100)
So i purpose that is for the rear passenger to 'unload' themselves :)

Yep. That is exactly what it is for. Pain in the butt when trying to clean the back seat though.

ermax 12-16-2017 11:57 AM

Standard feature. What I have noticed is you can pull the side lever and then push it all the way forward and then press down lightly on the lever you normally use to adjust the seat position. You will have to pull it back up to release it though.

It’s tempting to take the whole thing apart and see if there is some way to fabricate a fix.

ermax 12-16-2017 11:59 AM

Oh also so you know. It’s also a standard feature for the doors to slam on your legs.

ToySub1946 12-16-2017 02:00 PM

There are a few thought processes of the Japanese engineers which have not changed much since the 1970s.

It's actually nice to occasionally retain some old ideas.

Tcoat 12-16-2017 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ermax (Post 3017117)
Oh also so you know. It’s also a standard feature for the doors to slam on your legs.

Until it gets really cold out and then they don't want to close at all.

Poodles 12-17-2017 12:13 AM

It's to allow the seat to slide forward for someone to get in/out and then you move the back of the seat rearward and it will relock. 100% normal and as designed for any 2+2 car I've been in.

ermax 12-17-2017 07:27 AM

Passenger seat cannot 'lock' ?

Most cars when you pull the side lever they will unlock the slide rail when the seat back is in the full forward position. You can then slide the seat all the way forward and then it will lock into place. When you are ready to put the seat back you simply recline the seat a tad which will unlock the rail and let it slide back to where it was. It’s this locking mechanism that is missing on our cars. Our cars will not stay forward long enough to access the rear seat and it’s annoying as hell.

funwheeldrive 12-17-2017 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poodles (Post 3017306)
It's to allow the seat to slide forward for someone to get in/out and then you move the back of the seat rearward and it will relock. 100% normal and as designed for any 2+2 car I've been in.

IIRC, my old Prelude, Integra, or Eclipse ever had this issue. I've never owned a car where the locking mechanism was simply left out.