Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Software Tuning (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Camshaft angles going crazy (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121273)

sw20kosh 08-15-2017 12:42 AM

Camshaft angles going crazy
 
I have a built engine that runs great other than camshaft timing. The stock ecu would not control the cams even after changing all sensors, oil control valves, and ecu.

Decided to try a motec m150 and the m150 is able to control the cams partially... Most of the time the cam angles follow the commanded angle but when under moderate/high load bank 1 intake cam loses angle. Sometimes bank 2 intake cam loses angle shortly after bank 1. As for exhaust cams... bank 2 exhaust cam angle signal is also very noisy/erratic but it doesn't lose angle like the intake cams. I see weird noisy/erratic behavior during warm idle sometimes too.

The cam actuators/sprockets are from a 2013. I am just trying to figure out if this looks like a hardware or electrical issue. I am leaning towards replacing all cam actuators with brand new ones.

Have you seen any thing like this before?

Under load:

https://scontent.fsjc1-3.fna.fbcdn.n...11&oe=5A26861F

Regular driving:

https://scontent.fsjc1-3.fna.fbcdn.n...c9&oe=5A360B45

https://scontent.fsjc1-3.fna.fbcdn.n...86&oe=59ECBF45

Idle: (lambda goes erratic when cam does)

https://scontent.fsjc1-3.fna.fbcdn.n...88&oe=59EC6D38
@nelsmar @Kodename47 @jamesm @Shiv@Openflash @steve99

steve99 08-15-2017 08:51 AM

Yeah those cam issues are a real bummer.
looks like you have already replaced ECU so that pretty well rules that out


unfortunately that leaves


Oil control valves
CAM sensors or cam sensor clearance
Sprokets/actuators




Have you seen this TSB re checking clearance on CAM sensors.
Be worth doing/checking as its fairly simple and low cost


http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1375302652




Then the other TSB for cam sprocket/actuator,oil control valves
Bummer its doing it on both banks else you could probably swap ocv from bank 1 to 2.
and as your motec the DTC wont be much help.


http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1375302652




Obly other thing I could suggest would be check your earth connections to chassis and motor since you have had motor out. Bad earths can cause weird stuff.


Maybe check batt/alternator volts to see its regulating correctly alternator is controlled via ecu, fluctuating batt volts could cause weird issues, should be pretty stably around 14 during normal operation.

sw20kosh 08-15-2017 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve99 (Post 2962255)
unfortunately that leaves


Oil control valves
CAM sensors or cam sensor clearance
Sprokets/actuators


Obly other thing I could suggest would be check your earth connections to chassis and motor since you have had motor out. Bad earths can cause weird stuff.


Maybe check batt/alternator volts to see its regulating correctly alternator is controlled via ecu, fluctuating batt volts could cause weird issues, should be pretty stably around 14 during normal operation.

I have changed all OCV's, cam position sensors, crankshaft position sensor, and ecu. Batt volts are stable. I will double check grounds and cam sensor clearance.

How much advance should the intake cam's be capable of? I am seeing both intake cams do not want to go above 38-40 deg.

steve99 08-15-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw20kosh (Post 2962447)
I have changed all OCV's, cam position sensors, crankshaft position sensor, and ecu. Batt volts are stable. I will double check grounds and cam sensor clearance.

How much advance should the intake cam's be capable of? I am seeing both intake cams do not want to go above 38-40 deg.


Not sure on the limits


The cam phasors may be capable a certain amount of advance but it may be limited in ecu not sure


some info here


http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1514207


http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...9&d=1391829861

Kodename47 08-15-2017 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw20kosh (Post 2962447)
How much advance should the intake cam's be capable of? I am seeing both intake cams do not want to go above 38-40 deg.

It's around 40deg advance for the intake cams and similar retard for the exhaust.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.