Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Which tire for 2017 PP wheel (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116885)

Last Lemming Alive 03-25-2017 12:16 PM

Which tire for 2017 PP wheel
 
My main complaint about the stock wheels isn't with the performance but that they look skinny and stretched. The stock tire is a 215/45 r17.

I have been trying to find a tire with a wider tread contact patch but with the same performance as the OEM tire. I don't necessarily want a ultra high-performance tires because I like the loose characteristics of the OEM tire which is definitely not a high performance tire but keeps the car playful.

So my question is is there a 215 tire that has a wider contact patch in the stock tire otherwise I would have to move up to a 225 tire which I don't really want to do. The stock wheel is 7 1/2 inches wide which will fit a 225 tire, however it makes the overall diameter about 3/10 of an inch taller which will screw up some of the better gearing ratio the 2017 has with the 4.3 rear end and The tires tend to be a bit heavier.

This is a purely street driven car by the way.

TommyW 03-25-2017 12:49 PM

Go on the Tirerack website and you can compare tires there. They have all the specs listed.

nico_rsx 03-25-2017 04:39 PM

You could do 245/40/17 which is nearly the same outer diameter, but that is a bit too wide for a 7.5" wheel.
235/40/17 would not be too bad. A 0.8% difference in tire diameter.

https://tiresize.com/height-calculator/

imnotsureaboutbrz 03-25-2017 05:19 PM

I'm going with a 225/45/17 personally, you get a little more contact patch and the size it's too far off oem. 235/40/17 is closer to OEM height, but your options of tire are extremely limited compared to 225 or 215.

The other thing to consider and check is that not all 225 tires will have the same tread width, for example the PSS is 8.2in where the RE71R is 7.6 in

JSube 03-26-2017 10:07 AM

I have 235/45-17s on the PP wheels- they fit just fine and don't look like motorcycle tires on the car. Here's a handy tire/wheel calculator- you have more options than you think.

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/ty...ize-calculator

Mr.ac 03-26-2017 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Last Lemming Alive (Post 2879080)
.......
I have been trying to find a tire with a wider tread contact patch but with the same performance as the OEM tire. I don't necessarily want a ultra high-performance tires because I like the loose characteristics of the OEM tire which is definitely not a high performance tire but keeps the car playful.
......

Oh boy. Lot of face palming there.
I see your google-fu is non existent young grasshopper.

Basically my mind reading ablities tell me you want wider looking wheels so you can brake them lose cause your a drifting ***, and are too scared to do autocorrect or track days. And I say *** with all the love and respect. :)

Short answer, any 225/45/17 or 235 CHEAP tire would tickle your pickle. Something around the sub $90 range.

JSube 03-26-2017 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.ac (Post 2879531)
Oh boy. Lot of face palming there.
I see your google-fu is non existent young grasshopper.

Basically my mind reading ablities tell me you want wider looking wheels so you can brake them lose cause your a drifting ***, and are too scared to do autocorrect or track days. And I say *** with all the love and respect. :)

Short answer, any 225/45/17 or 235 CHEAP tire would tickle your pickle. Something around the sub $90 range.

"break them loose cause you're..." :)

Mr.ac 03-27-2017 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSube (Post 2879538)
"break them loose cause you're..." :)

Thanks grammar naiz, you made my life complete ;)
Keep up that google-fu.

Last Lemming Alive 03-28-2017 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.ac (Post 2879531)
Oh boy. Lot of face palming there.
I see your google-fu is non existent young grasshopper.

Basically my mind reading ablities tell me you want wider looking wheels so you can brake them lose cause your a drifting ***, and are too scared to do autocorrect or track days. And I say *** with all the love and respect. :)

Short answer, any 225/45/17 or 235 CHEAP tire would tickle your pickle. Something around the sub $90 range.

Might want to recalibrate your mind ;) you pretty much misread on all counts.
I'm not young, unless 46 is young for you, I don't want them to break loose, but when they do I don't want it to happen at high speeds but rather lower speeds. I don't drift, and I don't autocross ( though I have done that in the past), and I didn't say cheap, I actually didn't specify price. For the record I've owned over 20 sports cars and have modified all 20 but usually with very good tires, but this car requires a different approach, where sticky tires will ruin the low speed fun this car can provide.

churchx 03-28-2017 02:53 PM

Check tirerack for real thread width of certain tire models. But in your place i'd just wear down primacies as is and move up a bit .. sensibly. As in - grippier/better tire but stock sized, not trying to keep grip to exactly primacies-low level. MPSS or MPS4 should fit the bill. Even of stock size (which you mentioned as wishing to keep to not change gearing ratio) MPS should have wider actual thread width, and while they certainly will be much grippier then stock primacies, not insanely so. If one has went through stock primacies, one may already be familiarised with car, it's behaviour, learnt limits, etc good enough & may wish for a bit more.
P.S.
You are forgetting few other options. - There is also option of going not just wider but at same time also together with lower profile. Or narrower + higher. As in sizes of 205/50 & 225/40, both shouldn't be too different in diameter from stock.
Also going narrower may compensate a bit increased grip of grippier tire model.

Keenercarguy 03-28-2017 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
225/45/17 Firestone Indy 500's or Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They're generally fine on a normal BRZ, with a normal rear end, and only feel the slightest bit less quick. Super Sports are the kings, full stop, when it comes to street tires, and you can totally still break them loose. Their breakaway characteristics are great! :burnrubber:
A 235/40/17 realistically has too much width for a 17x7.5, or at least my 235/40/17 Nitto NT01's did lol, I'll attach a picture of my old track set so you can tell. I lost significantly more feel than I gained grip with the extra "10mm". But hell, those race tires only cost me $100 :bonk:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.