Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   TRD Coilover Suspension (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113139)

switchlanez 11-22-2016 02:35 AM

TRD Coilover Suspension
 
1 Attachment(s)
I believe these are linear springs. Does anyone know if these are monotube or twin tube and if they are a rebrand of another manufacturer?

Also is the pillowball mounting set required (I believe they can be sold separately) or can I reuse stock top hats?

Tagging @nzer (you and I have similar taste, sorry for bugging you with yet another question).

switchlanez 11-22-2016 03:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cusco subcomponent comparo. Thoughts?

nzer 11-22-2016 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by switchlanez (Post 2801426)
I believe these are linear springs. Does anyone know if these are monotube or twin tube and if they are a rebrand of another manufacturer?

Also is the pillowball mounting set required (I believe they can be sold separately) or can I reuse stock top hats?

Tagging @nzer (you and I have similar taste, sorry for bugging you with yet another question).

I believe there's a new set like you have pictured that comes with the shocks, springs and top hats.

When I bought them they came with I think (it was a while ago) springs and the coilovers and the springs fitted the stock top hats but were kind of tapered.

I wanted the narrower TRD race springs to give max wheel clearance from the suspension knowing I wanted fat rubber eventually on fat 9.5" wheels with a +45 offset rather than the usual +38 that has too much poke IMHO. +45 means 7mm closer to the springs than +38 and means no guard rubbing.

After getting them I realised the TRD race springs fit the coilovers but do not fit the stock top hats without modification. So, I bought the front and rear pillow ball sets. End result was TRD coilovers, TRD race springs and TRD top hats.

As mentioned, I think you can now just buy the set you have pictured. The top hats look great too under the hood :-)

Your second pic above with the cusco ones shows TRD shocks with the tapered springs and stock top hats. They are the ones I replaced the springs for TRD race springs and found they wouldn't fit the stock top hats so bought the pillow ball sets.

Cusco looks similar but I don't think the same. But hard to tell. I'll ask my dealer for you as they sell both.

churchx 11-22-2016 07:50 AM

Even if made from same line / from same partbin, there is big chance for it to be not just rebrand but also revalved (eg. KW vs RCE's Tarmacs). Unless vendor discloses info or one puts both on shock dyno to compare it's too hard to tell if same or not by visuals alone.

nzer 11-22-2016 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by switchlanez (Post 2801435)
Cusco subcomponent comparo. Thoughts?

From my TRD supplier and Toyota OEM supplier

"Definitely not, the lower moutning bracket is the same across even OEM Toyota, and all aftermarket coilovers as that is how it is attached to the steering knuckle…

Attached a photo of BC-Racing Taiwanese made suspension front lower mounts, again they are the same…

And the C-Spanners are indeed all the same shape and style, again also the same across most other manufacturers.

Saying Cusco and TRD suspension are the same because of the spanner and front lower mounts would be the same as saying Nitto NT01 and Firestone Supercat tyres are the same, because they are black and rubber"

switchlanez 11-22-2016 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nzer's supplier
Definitely not, the lower moutning bracket is the same across even OEM Toyota, and all aftermarket coilovers as that is how it is attached to the steering knuckle…

Attached a photo of BC-Racing Taiwanese made suspension front lower mounts, again they are the same…

And the C-Spanners are indeed all the same shape and style, again also the same across most other manufacturers.

Saying Cusco and TRD suspension are the same because of the spanner and front lower mounts would be the same as saying Nitto NT01 and Firestone Supercat tyres are the same, because they are black and rubber

BC are not the same shape on the lower mount for the 86 application (photo from owner on this forum):


http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1427122754


Though the Camaro has an almost similar but still not identical lower mount and spanner wrench is not identical (which I think would run the same across all BC applications):


http://marylandspeed.com/images/Q-04%20Camaro.JPG


Moto Miwa, good friends with Tada and has other ties with Toyota and Cusco, confirmed Cusco makes the TRD coilovers with retuned damping. Also makes the stabilizer bars for TRD Japan (TRD USA springs and sways are Eibach according to a friend who worked in Toyota's procurement system and saw Eibach in their list). Not official but relatively reliable sources.

nzer 11-22-2016 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by switchlanez (Post 2801895)
BC are not the same shape on the lower mount for the 86 application (photo from owner on this forum):


http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1427122754


Though the Camaro has an almost similar but still not identical lower mount and spanner wrench is not identical (which I think would run the same across all BC applications):


http://marylandspeed.com/images/Q-04%20Camaro.JPG


Moto Miwa, good friends with Tada and has other ties with Toyota and Cusco, confirmed Cusco makes the TRD coilovers with retuned damping. Also makes the stabilizer bars for TRD Japan (TRD USA springs and sways are Eibach according to a friend who worked in Toyota's procurement system and saw Eibach in their list). Not official but relatively reliable sources.

Further from TRD supplier:
"The TRD suspension kits are made in-house by TRD Technocraft themselves, not shared with anyone (biggest difference you will easily spot is how the TRD units only have lower seat adjustment not both seat and body adjustment)"

switchlanez 11-24-2016 03:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nzer (Post 2801921)
Further from TRD supplier:
"The TRD suspension kits are made in-house by TRD Technocraft themselves, not shared with anyone (biggest difference you will easily spot is how the TRD units only have lower seat adjustment not both seat and body adjustment)"

Toyota/TRD does not specialize in manufacturing suspension systems. MkII OEM MR2 shocks were made by Bilstein. Trunk and hatch shocks have typically been made by Tokico. The Kouki 86 has Sachs dampers. I imagine coilovers are contracted out like window glass (etching reveals the contracted OEM). Performance suspension is not a market they compete in enough to sustain viable in-house design and manufacturing on the level of Bilstein, Sachs, or Cusco.

I dunno, after what Moto said, it's going to be hard to convince me otherwise. Toyota sent a team to SoCal to consult with Moto and AE86 enthusiasts for inputs to develop the new 86. He's good friends with 86 Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada and arranges meet-and-greets when Tada visits SoCal. Tada entrusts Moto to foster 86 culture as a "spiritual champion."

Those wrenches I posted earlier is the giveaway. Other manufacturers' wrenches look similar but none exact matches like Cusco/TRD. Close-ups of identical adjustment knobs:

Tokay444 11-24-2016 08:09 AM

I bet Cusco doesn't even make their own dampers.

ryoma 11-24-2016 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokay444 (Post 2802921)
I bet Costco doesn't even make their own dampers.

I wish Costco made coilovers.

Kirkland coilovers sound great, not to mention it will be a rebrand of a major coilover company for cheap. good value

Ro_Ja 11-24-2016 03:10 PM

Moto has some great insight into the cars, people, companies, and parts, but I tend to take a grain of salt with everything he says because he isn't right all the time.

Toyota no doubt has a contract with some very big manufacturers to meet specific cost and production scales. Cusco is a small fish compared to producers like Showa, KYB, or Tokico which Toyota has pre-existing relationships with. Therefore, I don't believe these TRD coilovers are Cusco. However, it's absolutely possible that Cusco works with/sources the same hardware from the company Toyota has making these which is why they look alike.

Racecomp Engineering 11-25-2016 01:03 AM

Cusco shocks used to be made by SHOWA, but I don't think they are anymore.

Not sure on the TRD coilovers.

- Andrew

switchlanez 11-25-2016 02:06 AM

There you go, Showa was Toyota's big contracted shock company on the tip of my tongue. I'd believe if they make both Cusco and TRD coilovers.

And yes, Moto isn't always right as I've had to correct him before.

MJones_RB 11-30-2016 06:01 PM

If those TRD coilovers are cheaper than the Cusco ones then why not? ;-)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.