Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How to use fogs as daytime lights instead of high beams? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108652)

itsAlex 07-21-2016 08:59 AM

How to use fogs as daytime lights instead of high beams?
 
Hey everyone, I recently installed fog lamps on my FRS and I like the look of them. In fact, I like the look so much that I prefer to have my fog lights on all the time, so that's why I want them to be my daytime lights and not the high beams.

Is there any way I could change the relays or jump across relay pins etc. So that when the DRL is engaged, the fogs come on and not the high beams? My fogs are installed via OEM wiring, meaning they turn on and off in accordance with the low beams and the dash board indicator illuminates when they're on.

go_a_way1 07-21-2016 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsAlex (Post 2709753)
Hey everyone, I recently installed fog lamps on my FRS and I like the look of them. In fact, I like the look so much that I prefer to have my fog lights on all the time, so that's why I want them to be my daytime lights and not the high beams.

Is there any way I could change the relays or jump across relay pins etc. So that when the DRL is engaged, the fogs come on and not the high beams? My fogs are installed via OEM wiring, meaning they turn on and off in accordance with the low beams and the dash board indicator illuminates when they're on.

Easiest thing to do would wire then up independently and use a relay to engage the circuit when the ignition is in the on position. I did that for the boomerang in the Spec D headlights so they function as my DRL

JoeC 07-21-2016 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsAlex (Post 2709753)
Hey everyone, I recently installed fog lamps on my FRS and I like the look of them. In fact, I like the look so much that I prefer to have my fog lights on all the time, so that's why I want them to be my daytime lights and not the high beams.

Is there any way I could change the relays or jump across relay pins etc. So that when the DRL is engaged, the fogs come on and not the high beams? My fogs are installed via OEM wiring, meaning they turn on and off in accordance with the low beams and the dash board indicator illuminates when they're on.

Have you some how modified your wiring to make the high beams the DRLs? I bet other drivers are super annoyed by that...

itsAlex 07-21-2016 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeC (Post 2709783)
Have you some how modified your wiring to make the high beams the DRLs? I bet other drivers are super annoyed by that...

No no, I guess you aren't aware that the high beams on the FRS has dual purposes: they act as daytime lights when the car is running and they are also the high beams. When the car is running, it sends 6V to the high beam bulbs to illuminate them at ~ half brightness. When the high beams are on, it's at 12V or more.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

JoeC 07-21-2016 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsAlex (Post 2709792)
No no, I guess you aren't aware that the high beams on the FRS has dual purposes: they act as daytime lights when the car is running and they are also the high beams. When the car is running, it sends 6V to the high beam bulbs to illuminate them at ~ half brightness. When the high beams are on, it's at 12V or more.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

so you mean low beams?

itsAlex 07-21-2016 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeC (Post 2709793)
so you mean low beams?

No, low beams are separate bulbs on the FRS.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

JoeC 07-21-2016 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsAlex (Post 2709794)
No, low beams are separate bulbs on the FRS.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

weird. I definitely had no idea.

FX86 07-21-2016 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeC (Post 2709798)
weird. I definitely had no idea.

yeah those bulbs you see in white in the pic below act as DRL and as high beams..the projectors to the side are our low beams
http://www.ijdmtoy.com/BLOG/Showcase...g-lights-2.jpg
http://www.ijdmtoy.com/BLOG/Showcase...g-lights-1.jpg

FX86 07-21-2016 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsAlex (Post 2709753)
Hey everyone, I recently installed fog lamps on my FRS and I like the look of them. In fact, I like the look so much that I prefer to have my fog lights on all the time, so that's why I want them to be my daytime lights and not the high beams.

Is there any way I could change the relays or jump across relay pins etc. So that when the DRL is engaged, the fogs come on and not the high beams? My fogs are installed via OEM wiring, meaning they turn on and off in accordance with the low beams and the dash board indicator illuminates when they're on.

i'm not sure how much different the wiring is from the winjet fog lights set but in my case i first had the power wire plugged into the ignition fuse slot so they are always on when the car is turned on or run a on/off switch through the firewall into the cabin

https://assets.howtune.com/articles/...ire_normal.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/k2O31Ww.jpg


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.