Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Plasti Dip Tail lights (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106726)

SyntrexFRS 06-06-2016 11:46 AM

Plasti Dip Tail lights
 
I plasti dipped my taillights. the lights still illuminate no issue both day and night but my friend was tellin me that its illegal and im gonna get pulled over. I live in Mass and couldnt find anything on tail light laws and was curious if you guys had any insight and if you think me doing this was a bad idea.. at the end of the day all i have to do is peel it off and im out like 6$ so its not a huge deal.

8R6 06-06-2016 11:53 AM

did u spray only like 2 layers? lol. plastidip is opaque so either you put a super thin layer to let light thru, which the spray probably looks ghetto; or you put on several coats to smooth it out and make clean, but then the light isnt visible anymore. lol

soulreapersteve 06-06-2016 12:06 PM

Please peel it off. Why won't you tint the tail lights like what others do? I'm not a fan of either but I've seen really good tint jobs which came out really well.

I think its VHT nightshade? I didn't really pay attention since again, dont really care for either.

Tcoat 06-06-2016 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't know if illegal there but it is pretty much anyplace else.
It may not seem like the lights are that much dimmer but people seem to have enough problems seeing these cars at full brightness so I know it isn't something I would want to do. Have to keep in mind that there are also reflectors in the tails that help you be spotted if your lights are out. The reflectors would not work at all with dip.
On a very subjective and personal level I think they look like crap plastidipped anyway.

STV3 06-06-2016 12:13 PM

Scrape if off and throw the can of plasti dip in the garbage

Bowen 06-06-2016 12:54 PM

I plasti dipped my Jeep Cherokee's tail lights, only put 2-3 layers on them. Was able to run them for a year before a state cop (Maryland) pulled me over and issued me a fix it ticket.

You'll get pulled over eventually.

sdemo 06-06-2016 02:01 PM

Maybe illegal, maybe not. Still, it looks half assed and will limit visible light... given the number of tourists where you live, do you really want to increase likelihood of a rear end collision, and give the person a viable excuse to absolve themselves of guilt and shift the repair cost over to you?

Seems like the fully burdened cost is a bit higher than $6.

YamahaR86 06-07-2016 04:09 PM

In my state, or any state for that matter I believe. Anything that is obstructing the light output is illegal. So yeah, that's why people paint inside the headlights/around the inside instead.

Poodles 06-14-2016 05:14 AM

He could be talking about the smoke Plasti Dip... It's still hideous as Plasti Dip isn't smooth at all.

As with all light tints, it's illegal and will eventually get you in trouble.

stevesnj 06-14-2016 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SyntrexFRS (Post 2672250)
I plasti dipped my taillights. .

http://memesvault.com/wp-content/upl...facepalm-8.jpg

YamahaR86 06-14-2016 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poodles (Post 2679916)
He could be talking about the smoke Plasti Dip... It's still hideous as Plasti Dip isn't smooth at all.

As with all light tints, it's illegal and will eventually get you in trouble.

Looks smoooooooth to me.

Summerwolf 06-14-2016 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YamahaR86 (Post 2680090)
Looks smoooooooth to me.

:laughabove: LOL, good one!

stevemp5 06-14-2016 10:57 AM

No! :slap:

Tectoniic 06-14-2016 11:50 AM

Why stop at the tails? I plastidipped my headlights, sidemarkers, windshield, and the side and rear windows. So much cheaper than a quality tint and how is the cop gonna give me a fixit ticket when I can't even roll down my windows? Checkmate police


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.