Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Problems Daily Driving With Hood Louvers? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105239)

TeutonicShift89 05-01-2016 11:47 PM

Problems Daily Driving With Hood Louvers?
 
Didn't want to thread jack where this topic started so wanted to start a dedicated thread.

To recap, I've heard other people voice concerns about driving their cars in the rain, snow, etc. with hood louvers. My question is--what exactly are the problems people who have owned louvered or exposed hoods have experienced?

Seems possible that it wouldn't in fact be an issue for our cars since I also thought it was common to pressure wash your engine bay and so forth--which sounds much harsher than rain etc.

Perhaps there are long term problems that crop up by being exposed to elements that I'm not aware of.

Anyway please post yay or nay and why based on your experiences...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avishenoy1 05-02-2016 12:04 PM

I'm planning to install louvers on my hood soon. Water getting into the engine bay isn't going to cause any immediate problems, but I imagine that over time it will lead to faster oxidation buildup on the aluminum and eventually rusted steel.

hypebrz 05-02-2016 02:50 PM

Maintain good maintenance of your engine bay and you'll be fine. Also remember when most people spray their engines it isn't hot or is cooled down mostly. If it starts raining on a DD your engine is running and at very high temps.

Ashikabi 05-02-2016 02:54 PM

I have louvers. I've noticed done oxidation on my AC lines and oil filter bowl. Also my oil filter lip started rusting(my louvers are right over my filter). I solved the oil filter problem with an oil filter cap/cover from Raceseng. Not worried about anything else

TeutonicShift89 05-02-2016 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypebrz (Post 2640504)
Also remember when most people spray their engines it isn't hot or is cooled down mostly. If it starts raining on a DD your engine is running and at very high temps.



And for the ignorant like me what would that cause?

Ashikabi 05-02-2016 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeutonicShift89 (Post 2640507)
And for the ignorant like me what would that cause?

Instant water evaporation. Not positive that's what he was getting at but that's about what happens. Should stop nearly all corrosion

hypebrz 05-02-2016 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeutonicShift89 (Post 2640507)
And for the ignorant like me what would that cause?

On modern vehicles most likely nothing, lol. Just creates a bunch of steam to spray a hot engine and I just wouldn't recommend it


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.