Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   BRZ NO Crank After HKS Supercharger and Tune Install (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147102)

kyu01186 10-04-2021 04:12 PM

BRZ NO Crank After HKS Supercharger and Tune Install

I recently installed an hks supercharger onto my 2018 brz. I used an openflash tablet with a custom tune to tune the car. After installing the base map, I tried starting the car and it would crank but not fire. So I reverted back to the stock map and now the car won't crank at all. I brought the car to a shop and they said told me that the open flash tablet most likely broke one either the bcm or ecm or both. They checked the ecm and were able to load a new tune onto the car with ecutek and checked all sensors but the car still won't crank.

What could be the problem? Does anyone have any solutions I can try before I remove all the mods and bring the car to the dealer?

zberz 10-04-2021 05:37 PM

No idea what's involved in a supercharger install, but did you verify the simple stuff like there's nothing that would prevent the engine from getting sufficient air, fuel, and spark? Did you change any of those things during the install? I would double-check the easier things before jumping into electronics and tune.

Knowing myself, it would be something dumb like a rag stuffed in a throttle body I forgot to remove.

In any case, good luck! Hopefully it's nothing expensive.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

x808drifter 10-05-2021 05:01 AM

Did anyone bother to check the battery?

tomm.brz 10-05-2021 05:22 AM

did you change MAP sensor?
if it s not scaled in the tune it won t crank

kyu01186 10-05-2021 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomm.brz (Post 3471038)
did you change MAP sensor?
if it s not scaled in the tune it won t crank

yes I confirmed with the tuner to make sure that its set for the stock MAP sensor

kyu01186 10-05-2021 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x808drifter (Post 3471035)
Did anyone bother to check the battery?

I brought the car to a shop and they told me that nothing appears to be physically wrong with the car. When they use their scan tool, they see all the sensors are okay and providing a reading. They are telling me that the problem is most likely the ecm and bcm. They also said that the ecm was ok since they were able to flash it and that it probably is something wrong with the bcm.

x808drifter 10-06-2021 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyu01186 (Post 3471171)
I brought the car to a shop and they told me that nothing appears to be physically wrong with the car. When they use their scan tool, they see all the sensors are okay and providing a reading. They are telling me that the problem is most likely the ecm and bcm. They also said that the ecm was ok since they were able to flash it and that it probably is something wrong with the bcm.

I'll take that as a No.
Nobody put a multimeter on the battery.

tomm.brz 10-06-2021 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyu01186 (Post 3471170)
yes I confirmed with the tuner to make sure that its set for the stock MAP sensor

then make sure you really have a Stock map sensor and not a upgraded one

FR-S2GT86 10-06-2021 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomm.brz (Post 3471322)
then make sure you really have a Stock map sensor and not a upgraded one

A bad or incorrect MAP sensor shouldn't cause the engine to not crank. Unplug it and try to crank to test this.

I second the comment made by @x808drifter about checking the battery voltage and I will also add the recommendation of checking fuses and fusible links.

wbradley 10-06-2021 10:38 AM

Fuses and relays and or connectors. Fuel system, ignition system. Make sure MAF is clean.