Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   car bogging when coming to stop (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135096)

Qball1754 06-05-2019 05:09 PM

car bogging when coming to stop

Hello, i just noticed recently that while i come to a stop my car will bog (almost want to say a hard downshift into first). it used to be really noticeable but after i got new brakes it got inconsistent and sometimes you barely notice it. it only does this while in drive and if i'm in manual mode there's no bog. i was told my throttle body needs cleaning and that could be whats causing the bogging. has anyone else ran into this problem? i'm hoping its nothing transmission related. i recently had to replace my TCM but even after doing that it didn't have this issue

soundman98 06-05-2019 05:58 PM

Clutch in faster!

humfrz 06-05-2019 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3224966)
Clutch in faster!

:lol:

OK, OP, you can stop looking for your clutch on your AT.

:D

humfrz

Qball1754 06-05-2019 10:54 PM

i wish i had a clutch. i picked up driving manual shortly after buying my AT and i feel like i made a mistake. manual was just too much fun but my next car has to be a manual!

DarkPira7e 06-05-2019 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qball1754 (Post 3225023)
i wish i had a clutch. i picked up driving manual shortly after buying my AT and i feel like i made a mistake. manual was just too much fun but my next car has to be a manual!

Sell it now, you're not going to be able to deal with it for long. Quick, before the mod bug sets in and your car is worth nothing but Pokemon cards.

soundman98 06-06-2019 12:01 AM

Wait, pokemon cards are worth something?

Qball1754 06-06-2019 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3225025)
Sell it now, you're not going to be able to deal with it for long. Quick, before the mod bug sets in and your car is worth nothing but Pokemon cards.

i did try that. was told in a few months if i continue to take care of it i got someone who will buy it off of me. just hope this issue isn't anything major

humfrz 06-06-2019 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qball1754 (Post 3224956)
Hello, i just noticed recently that while i come to a stop my car will bog (almost want to say a hard downshift into first). it used to be really noticeable but after i got new brakes it got inconsistent and sometimes you barely notice it. it only does this while in drive and if i'm in manual mode there's no bog. i was told my throttle body needs cleaning and that could be whats causing the bogging. has anyone else ran into this problem? i'm hoping its nothing transmission related. i recently had to replace my TCM but even after doing that it didn't have this issue

How many miles on your car?

Is it still under warranty?

Any power modifications?

Have you had the battery disconnected lately - if so, maybe it's just re-learning?

I doubt there is anything wrong with the throttle body.

humfrz

Qball1754 06-06-2019 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3225061)
How many miles on your car?

Is it still under warranty?

Any power modifications?

Have you had the battery disconnected lately - if so, maybe it's just re-learning?

I doubt there is anything wrong with the throttle body.

humfrz

58k miles. from my understanding toyota voided my warranty due to frame damage that wasn't there (i guess i could always take it to another dealership) no modifications. i did get an oil change and brakes done and that's when i was told the throttle body needs to be cleaned. aside from the oil and brakes i did have the ECU and TCM replaced

wparsons 06-06-2019 10:58 AM

They can't void engine warranty because of body damage...

humfrz 06-06-2019 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qball1754 (Post 3225065)
58k miles. from my understanding toyota voided my warranty due to frame damage that wasn't there (i guess i could always take it to another dealership) no modifications. i did get an oil change and brakes done and that's when i was told the throttle body needs to be cleaned. aside from the oil and brakes i did have the ECU and TCM replaced

Welp, the warranty can't be "voided", however, they can deny to do warranty work. Like @wparsons points out, they should not be able to deny warranty work on the engine because of body damage - :iono:

Like I mentioned earlier, I don't reckon the throttle body is dirty enough to cause it to run rough unless you have been driving around in a sandstorm.

I suggest you take your car to a different dealer for a second opinion - ;)

humfrz