Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   When Did You Fall In Love With Your BRZ? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142644)

SUSPECT_BRZ 10-05-2020 12:30 AM

When Did You Fall In Love With Your BRZ?

Just felt like starting a new thread asking forum members at what point they actually fell in love with their vehicle. Was it as soon as you drove the vehicle for the first time, after your first performance mod, after adding forced induction, after doing your first maintenance? Or do you actually like it a lot but never quite fell in love with it?

I'm at the point where I like the car a lot but haven't driven it and enjoyed it enough to actually have fell in love with it. I actually need to make a car "mine" by adding performance modifications to truly feel connected with a car.

What about you?

Dzmitry 10-05-2020 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUSPECT_BRZ (Post 3372889)
Just felt like starting a new thread asking forum members at what point they actually fell in love with their vehicle. Was it as soon as you drove the vehicle for the first time, after your first performance mod, after adding forced induction, after doing your first maintenance? Or do you actually like it a lot but never quite fell in love with it?

I'm at the point where I like the car a lot but haven't driven it and enjoyed it enough to actually have fell in love with it. I actually need to make a car "mine" by adding performance modifications to truly feel connected with a car.

What about you?

Too lazy to answer in depth. But I fell in love with this car when it was first released. I was just set on it. Read the forums and everything about it for years before I snagged mine up early 2019. Loved it just as much. It's as if all the reading and learning I had done it confirmed my exact expectations of it.

I feel as though I continue to love it more and more as time passes. As many always say, it just puts a smile on my face with each drive, and I miss it every time I choose to drive my beater. The modifications over time help as well of course in adding to the excitement. Will always love this car/platform.

jcw99 10-05-2020 08:48 AM

first time I sat in the driver's seat

Takumi788 10-05-2020 09:19 AM

The first few months with it (2013) I just drove it on the street. Coming from a 350hp 240sx with all the handling goodies, I actually considered selling the FRS. I missed the power and it was kinda boring on the street without ringing its neck for RPM. Then I did a HPDE track event and it was love after that. The thought of selling it has never returned and now it is just a track toy.

I fell in love with it again when I crashed it on track (2018). I swiped the hood, fenders, bumper and bumper support off the car. I loved how the entire front end is mainly bolted on. I just purchased new parts and the car went back together with no issue. The cars I had prior would have needed an entire front clip, drilled out spot welds or a tube front end.

weederr33 10-05-2020 09:29 AM

When I first saw it back in 2010. And then again in 2014 when I first test drove one. And then again when I traded my FR-S in for a 2017 BRZ. And then every time I go for a drive on empty country roads.

spcmafia 10-05-2020 09:45 AM

I think ever since it's first release it had a certain appeal to me. Not going to say it's my "Dream Car" because that's for the RX-7 and S14 Sylvia. But what drove me to get it was the fact that is one of those cars that you have to own because if you don't, you'll regret it. Took months of research, but when my Mazda 3 was finally on the flat bed from Carvana and the keys of the BRZ were given to me, it was an amazing experience. Whether I'm doing a random errand, or pushing it on a curvy road, it just feels so connected to you and always puts a smile to my face. Don't forget the looks you get, it's a beautiful looking car. It's just mechanically and aesthetically sound.

DarkPira7e 10-05-2020 10:54 AM

After my first test drive. During the drive was great, but as I sat back into my E36, I felt a gust of disappointment that I wasn't in the FR-S. I knew at that point that I was fucked.

RToyo86 10-05-2020 11:17 AM

Probably after driving it through the snow/winter.

Takes all the fun bits of the car and amplifies it.
There were many of occasions where I'd drive past my house just to extend the drive a bit further.

N_Raged 10-05-2020 12:11 PM

TLDR: Took a year to get comfortable and fully love the car.

It was not until the 2017+ refresh that I thought the BRZ looked good. I haven't spent a lot of time with or around twins so I did not know much about them. In the summer of 2019 I needed an autocross car and was torn between MX-5 and BRZ. I have not test driven either of them so all I could do was research on the internet and youtube for impressions. The value and practicality of the BRZ was undeniable. My local Subaru dealer had a promotion event and I put my name down for a rare Pure Red BRZ without even test driving one.

This being my first manual transmission car, it took time to learn before I felt comfortable driving it. And despite what everyone says, this is not the easiest car to learn how to drive stick (numb clutch and notchy shifter). I made a lot of mistakes. Also I had to drive the car gently during its break-in period so I did not yet know how I felt about the car.

After the car was broken in I brought it to autocross and realized how special it was. I was still on the factory Primacy's which felt like they were on ice at the limit so I did not have confidence in the car. But the lightness and nimble handling was something I never had before so I was thrilled.

Winter 2019 came and went - had fun doing donuts in the snow. But Spring 2020 was when it all changed for me when I got a set of 200tw performance tires and it was only then that I fully fell in love with my BRZ. Steering feel was better, and I could take fast sweeping corners with confidence. Went on two track days this summer and had a blast and learned a lot too.

So it took a while to learn the nuances of this gearbox and driving RWD, but with a proper set of tires I could not imagine myself in another car that fits my small 5'8" frame so perfectly, and is a practical enough daily driver, and looks so good in Red.

DarkSunrise 10-05-2020 01:05 PM

Every time I drive it on a track, autocross or canyon/mountain road. It is so good in those settings.

NoHaveMSG 10-05-2020 01:12 PM

First time I saw one at the Portland Auto Show in 2012 back when I thought subaru's were good. Saw it and was wondering WTF it was.

dpfarr 10-05-2020 01:30 PM

When I got the cockpit feeling. I bought a car because it had a rimless rear view mirror.

Summerwolf 10-05-2020 05:19 PM

Never have. It has sentimental value, and its paid for so I'll likely never get rid of it.... but I dont think I've ever had a real "love" moment for this car.

I followed the development and liked the car but the first time I drove one it was so disappointing. I actually bought mine without driving it because I knew I wouldn't buy it if I drove it. Made my brother drive it home, lol.

Bluefire98 10-05-2020 05:38 PM

Mine has been like a lovely, strong, growing relationship. I remember the first day in it, taking it around roundabouts right after I just got it. Coming from my rsx type s, it was another world of handling and response. It's been wonderful growing with it. From doing the maintenance, modding, and teaching me to be a better driver, it's been amazing. I've never had a car I've learned so much from (well, maybe my mr2 project, but that's another story). Sadly I know one day I will sell it, but it will go down as probably my favorite car I've owned so far. "Falling in love" with it wasn't so much of a love at first sight thing, but just slowly bonding with the car and living with it. I always find that Subarus have this endearing quality to them, as in great day-to-day liveability coupled with great (relatively) driving dynamics, as well as just enough character, or perhaps unrefinement, to make them feel a little bit alive. Mine's a scion, but it still has all of those qualities in spades, plus a dash of good looks. I'd say as long as you like properly driving your car, you'll fall for it and all the little edges just make it seem more human.