Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Suspension change. Spring suggestions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139011)

Leonardo 02-17-2020 05:40 PM

Suspension change. Spring suggestions

I am removing my coilovers. I am contemplating getting Bilstein B6 shocks and lowering springs. Or B8, if the difference is negligible. If anyone has opinions, I want to hear them! Thanks!

What lowering springs will pair with the B6's? I had eibach Prokit springs in the past. I am not sure that I want a progressive spring again... Suggestions?

I think I want either the Pedders or Whiteline tophats for the front. I will be using camber bolts with these. Opinions on which?

like these...
https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...YaAkMFEALw_wcB

Thanks in advance for any input.

strat61caster 02-17-2020 06:49 PM

B8 just has less droop travel than B6, zero advantage to the B8.

Racecomp engineering or Swift would be my pick for lowering springs.

Get as much camber as you can, there's a good overview of options posted here.

Vital 02-17-2020 08:53 PM

RCE Yellows. I cant recommend these springs enough!

Racecomp Engineering 02-18-2020 10:21 AM

Bilstein B6 with RCE Yellows is a great combo.

Skip the B8s.

Skip the Whiteline mounts and get the Pedders mounts.

- Andrew

Leonardo 02-18-2020 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering (Post 3300052)

Skip the B8s.

- Andrew

Thank you! :thanks:

wolffbite 02-18-2020 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering (Post 3300052)

Skip the B8s.

- Andrew

How long have the pedders mounts been around? Do we know if they have a better bearing and last longer than the whiteline ones?

My whitelines lasted barely 5k kms before the bearings got noisy... didn't do enough research and found all the posts about issues with them after the fact. Since they only make noise during low speeding turning I've just left it for now, but it's annoying enough I want to replace them with something in the spring.

Edit: Alternatively, if I wanted to go as far as getting a set of verus camber plates, how long should I expect those bearings to last compared to OEM/whiteline/pedders mounts? I'm lowered on the eibach prokit, stock struts and it's a daily driver with occasional canyon spirited drives.

Leonardo 02-18-2020 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolffbite (Post 3300250)
I didn't do enough research and found all the posts about issues with them after the fact.

Exactly how I feel about my Fortune Auto (I mean BC racing) coils.

Thank you for adding to the conversation! :thanks:

Out of the parts I installed, I am keeping my Blackworks rear LCA, whiteline bumpsteer kit, Perrin sway bars, and whiteline endlinks.

I have J2 trailing and toe arms. I am going to swap the toe to SPC and the trailing back to stock.

Racecomp Engineering 02-18-2020 05:06 PM

Quote:

How long have the pedders mounts been around? Do we know if they have a better bearing and last longer than the whiteline ones?

My whitelines lasted barely 5k kms before the bearings got noisy... didn't do enough research and found all the posts about issues with them after the fact. Since they only make noise during low speeding turning I've just left it for now, but it's annoying enough I want to replace them with something in the spring.

Edit: Alternatively, if I wanted to go as far as getting a set of verus camber plates, how long should I expect those bearings to last compared to OEM/whiteline/pedders mounts? I'm lowered on the eibach prokit, stock struts and it's a daily driver with occasional canyon spirited drives.

I'll be running the pedders mounts myself starting this spring, so I'll be able to give some long term feedback on them eventually. Others have run them for longer time periods.

Very few conventional camber plates will remain silent for a long time.

- Andrew

Fred E 02-19-2020 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering (Post 3300276)
I'll be running the pedders mounts myself starting this spring, so I'll be able to give some long term feedback on them eventually. Others have run them for longer time periods.

Very few conventional camber plates will remain silent for a long time.

- Andrew

What noise do camber plates eventually make during those low speed turns? I'm getting some popping-type noises now while turning the wheel when stationary (mostly when turning the wheel while transitioning between reverse and forward in a parking lot) and was wondering if it was coming from the camber plates or something else. Currently on Tarmac 2s.

ZDan 02-19-2020 08:02 AM

Quote:

I ran Raceseng camber plates with stock PP Sachs struts and Swift springs that lowered the car 1.25". Not nearly enough bump travel as the camber plate bearing ate up another ~3/4" of travel, hit bump stops HARD over even small bumps. At the track it actually worked kind of OK, but because outside front was bottomed it would get mid-corner understeer which sucked at some tracks.

Anyway, I would caution against stock struts with lowering springs and camber plates unless there are some out there that don't reduce available bump travel.

Racecomp Engineering 02-19-2020 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZDan (Post 3300439)
Anyway, I would caution against stock struts with lowering springs and camber plates unless there are some out there that don't reduce available bump travel.

There are some but you'll raise the ride height.

- andrew

Racecomp Engineering 02-19-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred E (Post 3300437)
What noise do camber plates eventually make during those low speed turns? I'm getting some popping-type noises now while turning the wheel when stationary (mostly when turning the wheel while transitioning between reverse and forward in a parking lot) and was wondering if it was coming from the camber plates or something else. Currently on Tarmac 2s.

Can be a variety of different things. We've seen plates that are too tight. Also seen this happen from contamination leading to binding. PM me and we can probably figure it out.

- Andrew

wolffbite 02-19-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZDan (Post 3300439)
I ran Raceseng camber plates with stock PP Sachs struts and Swift springs that lowered the car 1.25". Not nearly enough bump travel as the camber plate bearing ate up another ~3/4" of travel, hit bump stops HARD over even small bumps. At the track it actually worked kind of OK, but because outside front was bottomed it would get mid-corner understeer which sucked at some tracks.

Thanks for the info.

From my understanding a camber plate will also introduce some NVH, and I have reverted back to stock on a couple of my last mods due to too much added NVH in the cabin.

I might try out the pedders mounts. Since I drive ~20k kms a year I could pretty quickly provide some long term feedback. If they become noisy again, I may just have to live with it.

norcalpb 02-19-2020 01:33 PM

I’ve had my Pedders top hats for 15k miles and no issues/noises. I can’t recommend them enough.