Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   CANADA (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   No Front License Plate (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59646)

Wilso 03-02-2014 12:19 PM

No Front License Plate

Just got my WRB BRZ and really really don't want to run a front license plate.. Law of Ontario says you gotta have both so I know I'll have to eventually.. Any suggestions on where to put it without drilling? Not a huge fan of the tow hook mount.
Thanks!

krayzie 03-02-2014 12:38 PM

Tow hook mount plate relocation kit is probably your safest bet, or you can stick the plate into the front dash like I see some ricers do, so the plate will become a projectile and chop your head off in an accident.

Wilso 03-02-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krayzie (Post 1568860)
Tow hook mount plate relocation kit is probably your safest bet, or you can stick the plate into the front dash like I see some ricers do, so the plate will become a projectile and chop your head off in an accident.

lmfao that's a picture in my head. I have it there now, just didn't want to drill anything or decide until I've made up my mind. Such a nice looking front bumper :(

wparsons 03-02-2014 05:24 PM

Not sure if you can pull it off on the BRZ, but I've got mine mounted using the factory mount but positioned lower and not screwed into the bumper. Instead I used a longer bolt and big washers to hold it to the grille.

You can kinda see it here:

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7116/...b73630a2_b.jpg

fripsgirl 03-02-2014 05:32 PM

When I had my vintage Fiat 500 in Toronto, I had a retractable plate on the front. These do screw in underneath, but are very easy to install and quite handy. A quick click and the plate retracts when you no longer want to see it.

Just today I saw a suction cup mount that many Porsche guys use. I was told the suction mounts were heavy duty and didn't give, but I have my hesitation.

A friend of mine bought something called SpeedFlip for his high-performance vehicle, if you're looking for a Knight Rider type gadget ;)

I will say that chances of being pulled over is high without a front plate. The only time I've been pulled over (and as a passenger too) was for a missing front plate. A nice cop will give you a warning, but otherwise it's a huge pain to go and fight it.

robwbright 03-02-2014 06:09 PM

I didn't want the tow hook mount either, but didn't want to drill. I briefly tried putting some foam backing on the plate and merely zip-tying it to the middle of the grille area. It looked like crap up close, so I bought the Perrin tow hook mount.

For what it's worth, I actually like it after installing it.

btune 03-02-2014 06:28 PM

I got the Grimmspeed relocation kit because of the same reasons as you (also on a WRB). However, recently I've been contemplating installing the license plate in the middle where it was meant to be. I don't know what it is about the color, but I feel like it does a better job dividing the mustache.

btune 03-02-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wparsons (Post 1569305)
Not sure if you can pull it off on the BRZ, but I've got mine mounted using the factory mount but positioned lower and not screwed into the bumper. Instead I used a longer bolt and big washers to hold it to the grille.

You can kinda see it here:

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7116/...b73630a2_b.jpg

nice pic btw
very crisp

KPDoubleX 03-03-2014 07:50 PM

Definately look into using the grill....either zip tie or use some sort of mounting that will grad onto the grill

Aaron.H 03-03-2014 09:33 PM

My suggestion is the relocation kits using the the front tow hook.
That's what I did. Used the Grimmspeed in my car

Gords_zenith 03-04-2014 09:59 PM

Tinted plate covers help to dull down the bright white. Worked for me, if you want to run a front plate

Btw how do I post pics. Without using a URL

DaJo 03-04-2014 10:41 PM

GrimmSpeed Tow Hook Plate Relocator is the best route to go...

You can take it off at car shows and still look good while you're on the road with the front plate displayed by law.

I ordered it way before I even got the car.

Wilso 03-05-2014 08:45 PM

The only reason I don't want to get the tow-hook plate is because I might want to do the JDM looking towhook with the red loop hanging down :/

krayzie 03-06-2014 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilso (Post 1577386)
The only reason I don't want to get the tow-hook plate is because I might want to do the JDM looking towhook with the red loop hanging down :/

But in Japan everybody runs a front plate in the middle. That's JDM! Just sayin' :D