Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   AFRICA (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Couple questions before I buy (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80796)

momoPike 01-16-2015 03:08 AM

Couple questions before I buy

Hi all,

Pretty excited at the prospect of finally getting a FT86 but I have a couple questions before I shoot from the hip.

1. What kind of petrol usage are you getting?
2. Any issues so far with the car? Heard some mention of the seals on the brake lights not being done properly and rattles in the cabin when going at speed.
3. Should I change the tyres as soon as I get the car to something more grippy.
4. Are humps an issue? Have a couple in my area and don't want to be damaging the car.

Any other notes and items of mention you have would be appreciated.

LauraDUP 01-16-2015 03:18 AM

Hey Momo,

So far since I got my car end of October I haven't had any issues with anything. The place that I work has a huge hump as you go over the train tracks but it goes over smoothly, with an angle I might add. Hope this helps!!

Laser69 01-16-2015 03:29 AM

Hello.

1) Depends on how you drive. I average 9.3l per 100, but can between 8.5 and 11.
2) I had boot clicking and light seal issues, but mine was made in May'12 and the newer cars are not effected, from what I have heard.
3) Still have factory 16's. They are have enough grip for road use, but if you want you can break them loose and have some fun.
4) Never had a issue with humps, but you need to watch curbs when parking, as it is lower and will scratch the front.

momoPike 01-16-2015 03:55 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far. :D
Issues with dealers or their stock when you need something?

qbzee007 01-16-2015 04:04 AM

From my experience with my BRZ this is what I have to report.

1) On highway crusing around 125 km/h having cleared instantaneous consumption is about 7.5. During my weekly commute with traffic and all i think its just over 9.0 l.

2) I think I have the moisture issues with my lights but only when its really heavy rain. Had a noise coming from diff but was fixed from an oil change. Also had excessive oil consumption but somehow this is gone after my 2year service @ about 24k kilos.'

3) Tyre are awesome. I have stock 17s and the only real reason i would change them is for nice look. Handling for day to day as mentioned is good. Havent been on the track so I cant judge. They are awesome on the Skidpan thou.:burnrubber:

4) Normal speed humps are not an issue but do note you cant take them at the same speed you would a yaris or something like that. I have found myself scrapping on certain speed humps but very rarely.

Now that that has been sorted when can we expect you to pick your car up? :cheers:

Freedom 01-16-2015 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momoPike (Post 2093067)
Hi all,

Pretty excited at the prospect of finally getting a FT86 but I have a couple questions before I shoot from the hip.

1. What kind of petrol usage are you getting?
2. Any issues so far with the car? Heard some mention of the seals on the brake lights not being done properly and rattles in the cabin when going at speed.
3. Should I change the tyres as soon as I get the car to something more grippy.
4. Are humps an issue? Have a couple in my area and don't want to be damaging the car.

Any other notes and items of mention you have would be appreciated.

1) I drive in the city/town 95% of the time with a HEAVY foot. I do track days and skidpan. My avg is 12L/100km.
2)My gear lever rattled. I had to take it in to be fixed. Still has a little rattle at high revs.
3)If you want to drift/slide around in the car you going to want to stay with stock wheels. On wet roads you must be vigilant.
4)I am very paranoid with steep driveways but I have not had a problem with any speed bumps. I've scraped the exhaust a few times (driveways :mad0260:).

Check that the daylight driving lights work (a common problem).

momoPike 01-16-2015 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qbzee007 (Post 2093080)
Now that that has been sorted when can we expect you to pick your car up? :cheers:

Hoping early Feb. Insurance is still a sore point :cry: but that's what I get for being born in the 90's.
Deciding whether to trade in my '95 Corrolla.

momoPike 01-16-2015 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freedom (Post 2093082)
1) I drive in the city/town 95% of the time with a HEAVY foot. I do track days and skidpan. My avg is 12L/100km.
2)My gear lever rattled. I had to take it in to be fixed. Still has a little rattle at high revs.
3)If you want to drift/slide around in the car you going to want to stay with stock wheels. On wet roads you must be vigilant.
4)I am very paranoid with steep driveways but I have not had a problem with any speed bumps. I've scraped the exhaust a few times (driveways :mad0260:).

Check that the daylight driving lights work (a common problem).

Thanks for this. How easy it it for the tail to slide out with Traction control on?

LauraDUP 01-16-2015 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momoPike (Post 2093087)
Thanks for this. How easy it it for the tail to slide out with Traction control on?

Its not that easy, drove behind me Dad to Krugersdorp (he has a heavy foot and my husband was driving too:eyebulge:) it did not kick out once.

BentAnat 01-16-2015 05:07 AM

1) About 9l/100km average. On long roads 7-7.5
2) Some squeaks, some rattles, nothing serious, and nothing too bad. My Mk V GTI rattled worse (or rather - it irritated me). Safe to say that at 300K you're not buying a Bentley, but an affordable sports car.
3) 13.000km on stock 16's. They're a bit janky in the wet, but they are fun. And they offer enough grip even in the wet, provided you don't stomp down on the accelerator mid corner.
4) no real issues. It handles them better than my Bravo Sport. As for sidewalks - i find the ones around here (Windhoek) not normally a "threat". Steep driveways on the other hand are best done cautiously.

BentAnat 01-16-2015 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momoPike (Post 2093087)

As for this: To get it to kick out, you need to be rather sudden on the throttle. In bumpy corners, the (quite frankly bloody impressive) throttle response can help you there.
Best advice: don't try in the streets. Try on a track.

BRY100 01-16-2015 05:13 AM

Hi,

I've had my car for a few months now, and so far am loving it. I have a few small rattles, but nothing too irritating. It comes with the hard ride. Speed bumps are not a problem at slow speeds.

Haven't had any moisture issues, but then I also swapped out my lights for Valenti's as soon as I got the car.

Its very easy to get the back out, if you want to, but not too much of a handful if you are driving normally.

Cheers

Fish Eagle 01-16-2015 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BentAnat (Post 2093095)
Best advice: don't try in the streets. Try on a track.

Even better advice: don't try in the streets, don't try on a track - rather learn your car's handling on a skidpan.

Ds3ire 01-16-2015 06:49 AM

4 steps to owning a Toyota 86:
1. Buy it
2. Drive it
3. Mod it
4. Love it

1. Open road (dbn to jhb): 6.8l/100km. Urban: 8.8l/100 km
2. Tail light condensation in heavy rail. Gear lever rattle. People getting strained necks from turning and looking as you drive past.
3. No. Stock tyres are fun. Just learn the point at which they let go as above.
4. Not really. Humping is an issue coz the car interior isnt big enough

Enjoy the car man. The drive is amazing, but just a little hard to use as a daily driver.