Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   New suspension suggestion/pricing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123836)

The owl Talon 12-04-2017 06:04 PM

New suspension suggestion/pricing

So I plan on getting new suspension for my 2013 Scion FR-S, what would be the best suspension for about $700. Also for installing, what price is reasonable in your opinion.

Leonardo 12-04-2017 06:35 PM

Welcome to the forum.

"Best Suspension" for what? Street driving? AutoX? Drifting? Because different setups will work "best" for each category...

There is tons of great info in the suspension section.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59

I went with Eibach Pro Kit springs. They work well with stock shocks, are inexpensive ($239), and there is a great DIY (in in the DIY section) that was easy to follow. I DD my car. The springs lowered my car a modest 7/8" and are only slightly stiffer. I like them.

Good Luck!

The owl Talon 12-04-2017 06:50 PM

Yes it is for street driving. Would just regular springs be sufficient, or would going with coilovers be better. I would like to lower my car, but don't know the exact measurements. Is there a thread with all the height sizing measurements?

Brayden_23 12-04-2017 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The owl Talon (Post 3012521)
Yes it is for street driving. Would just regular springs be sufficient, or would going with coilovers be better. I would like to lower my car, but don't know the exact measurements. Is there a thread with all the height sizing measurements?

RCE Yellow springs get great reviews.

I don't believe there is a singular thread that has all the springs and their respective drops, but the info is readily available on the websites.

Gunman 12-04-2017 07:28 PM

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8739

I went Hotchkis, spring rates are good for daily driving, and mountain drives.

Tcoat 12-04-2017 07:34 PM

If just looking for a simple drop then some lowering spring are probably a more cost effective purchase than cheap coil overs. I have the RSR Superdown springs and am very happy with them. At under $300 they are a much better bet than coilovers.

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/rs-r...l#.WiXpc0qnGUk

Decep 12-04-2017 07:47 PM

I've never tried coilovers, but in my experience I would avoid just springs, get struts while you're at it. Lowered cars with stock struts (yes even eibach pro kits) never feel quite right.

Vten 12-04-2017 07:50 PM

For $700, Tein Flex Z can’t be beat. Install is super easy too.

Pat 12-04-2017 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vten (Post 3012556)
For $700, Tein Flex Z can’t be beat. Install is super easy too.

In my opinion they can be beat for $0. Keep OEM. It's likely better.

Leonardo 12-04-2017 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decep (Post 3012553)
Lowered cars with stock struts (yes even eibach pro kits) never feel quite right to me.

There, I fixed it for you.:cheers:

Seriously, he has a budget of $700, and may not know how to install the springs/shocks himself. Sure, it is nice to replace shocks at the same time, but the rce, trd, & other springs are proven to work well. The billstein b8 shocks are $900!!!

Tcoat 12-04-2017 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decep (Post 3012553)
I've never tried coilovers, but in my experience I would avoid just springs, get struts while you're at it. Lowered cars with stock struts (yes even eibach pro kits) never feel quite right.

Lowered cars with quality springs and stock struts feel just like lowered cars on coil overs. Lowered cars on cheap coil overs feel worse.

stevesnj 12-04-2017 08:29 PM

TRD Lowering spring, They are re branded Eibachs and can be had for close to $250 and you can use the stock struts. I think they are best bang for the buck IMHO.

Decep 12-04-2017 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonardo (Post 3012571)
There, I fixed it for you.:cheers:

Seriously, he has a budget of $700, and may not know how to install the springs/shocks himself. Sure, it is nice to replace shocks at the same time, but the rce, trd, & other springs are proven to work well. The billstein b8 shocks are $900!!!

Yeah, i get it, but better to spend the money now and do it right imo, especially on the suspension on this particular car.

Again, just my 2 cents. I've never lowered one of these cars but i've lowered Hondas and Mercedes in the past (never a lot, 1-2 inches), they always have that underdamped, slightly bouncy feel right afterwards and its only downhill from there. I'd end up doing the work again later replacing the struts with a shorter stroke strut/shock. If the stock struts on the FT86 are that much stronger than other cars go ahead and tell me im talking out my ass, i wont get offended :bonk::D

Leonardo 12-05-2017 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decep (Post 3012601)
Yeah, i get it, but better to spend the money now and do it right imo, especially on the suspension on this particular car.

Again, just my 2 cents. I've never lowered one of these cars but i've lowered Hondas and Mercedes in the past (never a lot, 1-2 inches), they always have that underdamped, slightly bouncy feel right afterwards and its only downhill from there. I'd end up doing the work again later replacing the struts with a shorter stroke strut/shock. If the stock struts on the FT86 are that much stronger than other cars go ahead and tell me im talking out my ass, i wont get offended :bonk::D

I can tell you that for DD, the eibach springs (TRD springs are made by eibach) work with stock shocks. And are a great way to decrees the wheel gap without sacrificing ride quality or performance. I chose to pair the eibach springs with stock shocks because of the many positive reviews in the suspension section. They still feel good after 65,000 miles too.