Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Software Tuning (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   ECU mismatch, OFT (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93148)

Bergen23 08-11-2015 11:20 AM

ECU mismatch, OFT

ok, short of the long is that my car went in to the dealer for warranty work, the dealer replaced the ECU EGI and I forgot to flash back to stock before I dropped it off, and didn't have a chance to do so when they told me what they were fixing because I was 3800KM away at that point.

I get an error code when trying to flash now that says "ECU number mismatching, ECU write denied, (my VIN)" then the next screen says "an error occurred while writing to the ECU please try again".

I feel like I've seen this issue come up before, and the guys at OpenFlash can reset your tablet for a cost. Tried getting in touch over email, but no luck yet.

Anyone have any ideas?

swarb 08-11-2015 12:02 PM

@Bergen23
You can also do a reset on the tablet which erases everything(and load all the roms again), but from what I remember you can only do it 3 times before you have to send it in for a hard reset that resets the 3 counter.

FT86POWER 08-11-2015 12:09 PM

Being that you didn't reflash back to stock and dealer replaced your ecu the dealer basically wipe out your tune.

Your OFT only matches the old ecu data that is why you are getting an error. That is also why its crucial for you to flash back to stock before dealer/warranty service. The process only takes 4 mins so not a very good excuse for not flashing back to stock.

You will need to contact sales@openflashperformance.com

They are pretty good with email respond times. Just don't expect an reply when the office is closed. They should be able to work something out to take care of you.

Goodluck

QUOTE=Bergen23;2353353]ok, short of the long is that my car went in to the dealer for warranty work, the dealer replaced the ECU EGI and I forgot to flash back to stock before I dropped it off, and didn't have a chance to do so when they told me what they were fixing because I was 3800KM away at that point.

I get an error code when trying to flash now that says "ECU number mismatching, ECU write denied, (my VIN)" then the next screen says "an error occurred while writing to the ECU please try again".

I feel like I've seen this issue come up before, and the guys at OpenFlash can reset your tablet for a cost. Tried getting in touch over email, but no luck yet.

Anyone have any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Bergen23 08-11-2015 12:44 PM

@swarb can't do that. Tried erasing the tablet and it won't go because the stock rom isn't the one that was last flashed.
@FT86POWER no, there's no reason for not reflashing to stock, but given I didn't think I'd need a new ECU, it wasn't a big priority for me. But, given that I was almost 4000km away from my car, I wasn't about to ask the dealer to reflash for me. And I realize why I can't flash back to stock. Looking for solutions here, not condescension.

Edit: problem somewhat resolved. The OpenFlash guys have gotten in touch with me and have made me an offer I can't refuse.

Shiv@Openflash 08-13-2015 02:09 PM

Hi guys,
I'd like to use this thread to remind everyone to ALWAYS flash your ECU back to stock (original file) before taking your car in to the dealership if there is ANY chance that they will replace your ECU or update your ECU software. Doing either will essentially divorce your OFT from your car and make it unusable.

SlammedSilly 08-13-2015 02:13 PM

so if one flashes back to stock... and the dealership replaces the ecu... wont the OFT not be married to the new ecu?

FT86POWER 08-13-2015 02:39 PM

When you flash back to stock the tablet is unmarried.

If the dealership were to replace your ecu without you knowing. You can simply erase the data on the tablet and it will be ready to READ on the new ecu.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlammedSilly (Post 2356332)
so if one flashes back to stock... and the dealership replaces the ecu... wont the OFT not be married to the new ecu?

steve99 08-13-2015 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergen23 (Post 2353495)
@swarb can't do that. Tried erasing the tablet and it won't go because the stock rom isn't the one that was last flashed.
@FT86POWER no, there's no reason for not reflashing to stock, but given I didn't think I'd need a new ECU, it wasn't a big priority for me. But, given that I was almost 4000km away from my car, I wasn't about to ask the dealer to reflash for me. And I realize why I can't flash back to stock. Looking for solutions here, not condescension.

Edit: problem somewhat resolved. The OpenFlash guys have gotten in touch with me and have made me an offer I can't refuse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash (Post 2356325)
Hi guys,
I'd like to use this thread to remind everyone to ALWAYS flash your ECU back to stock (original file) before taking your car in to the dealership if there is ANY chance that they will replace your ECU or update your ECU software. Doing either will essentially divorce your OFT from your car and make it unusable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlammedSilly (Post 2356332)

Quote:

Originally Posted by FT86POWER (Post 2356369)
When you flash back to stock the tablet is unmarried.

If the dealership were to replace your ecu without you knowing. You can simply erase the data on the tablet and it will be ready to READ on the new ecu.

Make sure the dealer coded the correct vin number into the ecu, sometimes they forget and sometimes they make a typo.

you should be able to read the vin with oft and check it against plate on car.

Bergen23 08-13-2015 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve99 (Post 2356554)
Make sure the dealer coded the correct vin number into the ecu, sometimes they forget and sometimes they make a typo.

you should be able to read the vin with oft and check it against plate on car.

They do still match.

But now I'm wondering, if and when I send my tablet into OpenFlash and I receive it back. When I go to read the rom on my car, will it be the stock rom or the stage 2 that I had previously flashed?

Or, would it be possible to get a tactrix cable, and flash my stock rom back? Would that fix the issue I'm having?

I don't know if they replaced the ECU, as on my service receipt, it said replaced the EGI ECU

steve99 08-13-2015 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergen23 (Post 2356589)
They do still match.

But now I'm wondering, if and when I send my tablet into OpenFlash and I receive it back. When I go to read the rom on my car, will it be the stock rom or the stage 2 that I had previously flashed?

Or, would it be possible to get a tactrix cable, and flash my stock rom back? Would that fix the issue I'm having?

I don't know if they replaced the ECU, as on my service receipt, it said replaced the EGI ECU

I think the OFT displays the ecu vin its married to not the actual vin.

you might need to use torque app or similar to read the vin from the ECU, i suspect the dealer did not enter it correctly.

Guy in Oz got new ecu and oft syned up fine he forgot to unmarry as well.

If the openflash guys send to unlocked or new oft then yes it will read in whatever tune you have in the ecu as the stock tune. If the dealer did actually replace ecu then tune will be stock.

you could still flash bock to "stock" be loading a stock tune into one of the five modified slots and flash that.

But yes a tactrix cable would allow you to flash whatever rom you liked back to car. I actually have tactrix and oft for that reason

MGPAX 09-18-2015 11:51 AM

Looking for help here. Mine won't reflash back to stock.
It gives me the error "Error communicating with ECU...Please try again"
It also won't load the ots tune.
It will only load tunes I have modified and loaded from my computer.???
Any help? I need to take it in to dealer TODAY!!

Pax

elBarto 09-18-2015 12:26 PM

Check the cable connection and see if it can communicate with the ECU by using the diagnostics screen or the info tab.
If this all works, you should be able to flash the stock rom back.

MGPAX 09-18-2015 04:34 PM

I figured it out. After one of the last two of so upgrades to the OFT, I had to rename all my tune files! (I suspect this is just to update the save date or something like that) The car wouldn't recognize any of the files I made before the update.

The stock file is before the update. So I copied it off the OFT and made a new "Stock Tune.bin" file and it loaded on perfectly! ???

Now I have two unusable slots in my OFT.... (The stock file and the first tune slot file that loaded on when I first got the OFT) :iono:

Quote:

Originally Posted by elBarto (Post 2394266)
Check the cable connection and see if it can communicate with the ECU by using the diagnostics screen or the info tab.
If this all works, you should be able to flash the stock rom back.

steve99 09-18-2015 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGPAX (Post 2394561)
I figured it out. After one of the last two of so upgrades to the OFT, I had to rename all my tune files! (I suspect this is just to update the save date or something like that) The car wouldn't recognize any of the files I made before the update.

The stock file is before the update. So I copied it off the OFT and made a new "Stock Tune.bin" file and it loaded on perfectly! ???

Now I have two unusable slots in my OFT.... (The stock file and the first tune slot file that loaded on when I first got the OFT) :iono:

you can never overwrite the stock file in oft the only way is to write scock file back to car then erase oft you only need to do this to unmarry device.

if the stock file wont write back to car then something weird has happened, talk to the oft guys.