Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Toyota S-FR Concept!! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95956)

strat61caster 08-17-2014 01:53 AM

Huh now that I've seen a picture I've got a better understanding.

I still don't think they'll hit 2,100 lbs in America, this looks like a kei car more than anything else, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't hit our shores at all, looks like a replacement iq at best.

That mule does not look set up for rwd that hood is much too short, looks like a plain jane transverse i4 fwd, but what the hell do I know.

serialk11r 08-17-2014 02:18 AM

Sources tell us? What sources? There are too many things wrong with this article lol.

The 6 speed manual in the 86 is for a longitudinal RWD application whereas the 2NR is a transverse I4. There is no way they are going to make custom bellhousing to make this work. The current 2NR-FE is for some low income markets and has no VVTi, but 100kW sounds like a lot coming from Toyota. A VVTi version would make something like 110-115hp, and if they give it the 1ZZ-FED treatment with slightly larger valves, an extra 20hp is not going to magically show up.

It replaces the MR2, but it's a 2+2? Where does the engine go?

suaveflooder 08-17-2014 02:29 AM

That thing is UGLY

ZDan 08-17-2014 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serialk11r (Post 1903596)
The 6 speed manual in the 86 is for a longitudinal RWD application whereas the 2NR is a transverse I4.

Ever heard of an FR car with a transverse engine? Obviously it would be rotated 90 degrees and oriented longitudinally in this car :).

serialk11r 08-17-2014 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZDan (Post 1903643)
Ever heard of an FR car with a transverse engine? Obviously it would be rotated 90 degrees and oriented longitudinally in this car :).

You typically wouldn't do that for an I4 that already has a transaxle for it in a MR car though, why redesign when you can just use off the shelf. If they use a 2NR, it will have the manual transmission that comes on non-US 1NR cars most likely.

Unless I'm getting this all wrong and it's supposed to be an FR car. Now that I think about it, I'm probably hoping too hard for an MR car, and this article seems to be describing an FR :bellyroll:

Vracer111 08-17-2014 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serialk11r (Post 1903651)
You typically wouldn't do that for an I4 that already has a transaxle for it in a MR car though, why redesign when you can just use off the shelf. If they use a 2NR, it will have the manual transmission that comes on non-US 1NR cars most likely.

Unless I'm getting this all wrong and it's supposed to be an FR car. Now that I think about it, I'm probably hoping too hard for an MR car, and this article seems to be describing an FR :bellyroll:

Yeah, all these cars Toyota are bringing out are FR designs, no wonky mid-engine designs. Can't afford the lawsuits from combination of people who can't drive + MR sports car. They already changed the FR-S handling for 2015 because of idiots...

Quentin 08-17-2014 10:38 AM

Cheaper, smaller, rwd, hatchback...

Yup, I meant the base 3 cyl model.

We took the family up to the big MINI event in Pittsburgh in our R53. The new Cooper and Cooper S were there. I hate the new styling. :( The R56 was a good evolution, but sharing an FF platform with BMW's Active 2 really hosed up the proportions. Both new engines are apparently very good, though. That said, I don't think we'll be trading our R53 anytime soon. It has been reliable and my wife is in love with it. She'll keep her MINI, I get my FRS, and we have the '14 Rav Limited for family hauling.

Sent from Tandy 400

gymratter 08-17-2014 10:59 AM

you guys do know that the pic in the link is just a render and not a real actual concept.

http://liveimages.motoring.com.au/mo...Pad&width=1050

gymratter 08-17-2014 11:02 AM

i dont think it will be that hard to make a coupe, roadster, and shooting brake variation.

this may even sell more then the 86 considering it rumored to start at $16k.

quality_sound 08-17-2014 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strat61caster (Post 1903561)
Looks like clickbait to me, 2,100 lbs? Not even Lotus's weigh that little today.

If you mean the current 3-cylinder hardtop then yes, they line up almost perfectly on paper per this article.

However I just have to point out that the '14 Mini Cooper S is a Toyobaru fighter.
2,760 lbs to the Toyobaru's 2,800 lbs
189 horses and 207 ft-lbs of turbocharged torque usable at any rpm
Same engine is supposedly going to be tuned up to 230 horses for the JCW and a couple BMW's, wonder how much it would take to bump it up...
0-60 in 6.5 seconds with the MT, 6.4 with the AT (Toyobaru MT 6.2)
23 mpg city, 37 highway
More usable space in back with a hatch and seats folded down (although a bit shorter)
Nicer interior hands down, more space inside
Smoother, quieter, fewer worrisome noises from the engine, transmission, suspension
It starts at $24,950 (vs. current Scion @$25,470) and the dealerships are willing to wheel and deal unlike Scion.

Only downsides I can think of on paper are the FWD, run flat tires, styling, BMW's reliability track record, and of course if you don't like one of the things mentioned above (yeah there's a bit of turbolag). Don't have any regrets on my purchase but the new Mini is a solid contender for practical economical daily driver fun and weekend enthusiast driving.

I owned an R55 and drove the new Cooper S before buying my BRZ. At a similar price point the Mini doesn't quite measure up. It is a shit ton of fun and you can tell it has more torque but that's it. I wouldn't call the interior nicer. Different, yes, but not nicer. It does have more room but only with the seats down. With them up it is another story. The back seat is more usable though.
They're just different cars with different demographics in mind.

Muaddib 08-17-2014 12:23 PM

I would believe it when i see it. I do not think that Toyota will be able to keep this thing under 2500lbs.

strat61caster 08-17-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quality_sound (Post 1903802)
They're just different cars with different demographics in mind.

Instead of arguing I'll just agree with this statement.

:cheers:

daiheadjai 08-17-2014 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WesleyG (Post 1903533)
...will probably be very Dynamic, but boast disappointing power levels that everyone will complain about

Hmmm.... sounds familiar....

Shagaliscious 08-18-2014 06:40 AM

Hatchback + RWD = Fuck yea