Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member's Car Journals (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   SlickWillyFRS’s Turbo Build Project (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135258)

SlickWillyFRS 06-15-2019 02:23 PM

SlickWillyFRS’s Turbo Build Project

33 Attachment(s)
! When I first joined the forum I did not own an FR-S/86/BRZ. In the past, I built a 2015 diesel Jeep Wrangler. I love the thing and I still have some ideas for it, but I’ve been wanting a new project build for a while. However, as of a couple months ago I am now a proud new owner of a 2013 Scion FRS. I’m really looking forward to sharing this journey with such a great community! Without further ado, let’s get started.

Back in May of 2019 I had my motorcycle stolen from my property. I was able to locate the bike, but unfortunately the monkeys did quite the number on it and the insurance company declared it a total loss.

Attachment 178714

Attachment 178713

Attachment 178715

Luckily, I was fully covered for theft so I had some money to play around with. I was back and forth between getting a new bike. But, I couldn’t help but getting on some used car websites and looking at some FR-S’s. Once I saw her I had to have her. So in April I finally became the proud new owner of a Scion FRS.

Attachment 178717

Attachment 178716

Attachment 178718

The previous owner had done some minor modifications to it such as a paint job, an exhaust (no idea what it is), a front bumper, a rear defuser, and some taillights. Other than that, the vehicle was stock.

Everybody knows that once you buy a new car you have to go take shitty iPhone pictures of it somewhere.

Attachment 178719

Attachment 178720

I really wanted to focus on performance modifications before cosmetic. I want to avoid the “slow car that looks fast” thing. With so many ideas of what I want to do to the car it was hard for me to pick out the first modification I wanted to do. Suspension maybe? I could consider that performance. What about wheels and tires? That’s definitely performance compared to the stock Prius tires. What about a cold air intake, or some new brakes? So many options!

So after taking some time to think it over and saving up some money, I finally decided on the first modification to my FR-S. A JDL Turbo kit! I opted for a Garret GTX2860R turbo, with a recirculating waste hate and a radium dual catch can kit.

Attachment 178723

Jesse over at JDL hooked me up with a great deal and was very helpful with any and all questions I had.

I’m currently renting a storage unit and chipping away at the kit whenever I have some free time.

Got the hot and cold side mocked up, nothing is tightened down fully.

Attachment 178724

Attachment 178725

It took me the a week but the kit is completely installed! I am waiting on the ECUtek tuning package from DeliciousTuning to get here next week. I am going to leave the bumper off for now so I can check for leaks once I start it. I’m so pumped. :happyanim:

Attachment 178726

She's up and running! I'm currently working with the guys over at Delicious Tuning to get a few maps set up and fine tune the power levels. I'll try and get a sound clip/pull when the tuning process is complete.

Attachment 178940

“Installed” the Oil Cooler today. Waiting on some metal ties to mount it to the bash bar. For now I’ve got it mounted with some zip ties. Honestly I’m pretty surprised at how sturdy it is. I’ll keep you guys posted on the difference in oil temperatures.

Attachment 179892

Attachment 179893

WHEELS AND TIRES
I have been driving the car for about 1000 miles since the turbo kit was installed and I couldn’t be happier. Until I get a boost controller and an e-85 tune that is. Until then, however it is about time to get some new shoes and rubbers for the girl. I bought the car used and it has the stock wheels and tires on it, not good for getting the power down to the road. I was also noticing some vibrations at about 80 miles an hour.

After some Q&A and a lot of scouring of instagram and other websites, I decided to go with a set of MST MT01s 18x9.5.

Attachment 181252

Attachment 181253

I suppose this explains the vibrations I was feeling at around 80 mph! This could have ended badly...

Attachment 181257

I opted for some Firestone Firehawks. They were pretty inexpensive and had some great reviews and honestly I am extremely satisfied with them. Quite ride and excellent traction. I still chirp the tires when I’m really getting after it but it’s night and day. The handling is also incredibly more responsive and reliable than the stocks. Go figure.

Attachment 181254

Attachment 181255

And here is my attempt at trying to take some half decent iPhone pictures.
Attachment 181256

BIG UPDATE (Coilovers, Brakes, DYNO, Headlights)

COILOVERS!
I haven't been keeping up with the forum recently but rest assured I have been improving upon the car in the meantime (between paychecks).
So after the wheel and tire upgrade I felt as though the "monster truck" status did them injustice. So after doing some research I opted to go with some BC racing BR style coil overs with the swift spring upgrade. Since this is essentially my daily driver I opted for the swift spring upgrade to give it a more "comfortable" drive while still having the handling characteristics of a set of coilovers. Now I realize that the FRS/BRZ/GT86 has amazing handling from the factory but in my opinion the car looks so much more aggressive lowered. And surprisingly I had very little scraping and only needed to make minor adjustments to the height of the car to eliminate the issue. She handles even better than before now!
Attachment 189326
Attachment 189327
Attachment 189328

BRAKES!

This is probably my second favorite modifications to the FRS, second to the turbo kit. These took my quite a long time to acquire but I am so satisfied with how they look and perform. The front is a six piston caliper on a 2-piece 345mm floating rotor while the rear is a 4 piston caliper also on a 2-piece 345mm floating rotor. I ordered them both in a "deep red" color which is hard to fully appreciate with an iPhone camera.

Attachment 189329

At first I wasn't sure if they were actually going to fit under my wheels.
Here is a picture of the new front rotor compared to the stock rotor.

Attachment 189330

Unfortunately I do not have comparison for the rear set.

Attachment 189331

The car stops incredibly well. Even with the turbo kit, these brakes are overkill for this car and I love it.

Attachment 189332

Attachment 189333

DYNO!
Having the remote tune from delicious tuning was great, but after driving the car for roughly 4000 miles it didn't seem THAT much faster. Maybe it was just me getting used to it, but not having an actual known horse power number it was time for a change.
I knew I wanted some more "umph" out of the car but I wasn't going to get to where I wanted it with stock everything besides the turbo.
For this reason, I installed the following parts.
  • ID1050x Fuel Injectors
  • FBM485 Fuel Pump
  • Delicious Tuning Flex-Fuel Kit
  • Delicious Tuning Electronic Boost Control Solenoid
After I installed all these modifications I brought the FRS down to a Dotson Tuning in the Fort Worth area.

Attachment 189334

After a long night of tinkering my tuner was able to get the car to where it is now.
Pump Gas 266 WHP and 243 ft.lbs of torque
E-85 333 WHP and 279 ft.lbs of torque
Assuming a 15% loss at the crank that is roughly 310 and 385 crank horsepower respectively.

Attachment 189335

This is not the same car I bought a year ago. Not even close. While 330 isn't that impressive of a number, this car keeps me in my seat through acceleration and that is exactly what I wanted! I am so happy with this car right now.

HEADLIGHTS
This is an exciting moment for me. This is my first, purely, cosmetic modification to the FRS. I told myself I would focus on performance first and cosmetic second. While there are a couple more things I want to add to the FRS which are purely cosmetic, I thought this was a good time to add a little flare to the car. I ordered a pair of Jet Black sequential Spec-D headlights.

Attachment 189336

Attachment 189337

They aren't the most unique headlights on an FRS by a long shot, but I do plan to open them up and customize them so they're one of a kind. Definitely better than stock IMO though!

StraightOuttaCanadaEh 06-15-2019 02:52 PM

Wow that's quite an entrance. Congrats and welcome! Looking forward to the updates

evoto86 06-15-2019 11:17 PM

Who needs brakes when you have boost, worry about that later.

Conman 06-16-2019 07:51 AM

Nice dude! That color is awesome. Look forward to updates! I got the same JDL kit going in soon! Curious if you are using the stock radiator and fans?

SlickWillyFRS 06-16-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conman (Post 3228020)
Nice dude! That color is awesome. Look forward to updates! I got the same JDL kit going in soon! Curious if you are using the stock radiator and fans?

Thanks brother! Yeah I am! It’s a tight fit but nothing is making contact. Jesse also assured me that with the power levels I’m going for, for now (stock internals) I won’t need the slim fans yet. Once I go e-85 I might consider putting them on though.

Clipdat 06-17-2019 11:12 PM

Cool custom color, looks like a well done paint job.

Sorry about your BMW bike getting jacked up.

SlickWillyFRS 06-22-2019 04:19 PM

Update: Turbo Finished ^

WC-BRZ 06-22-2019 06:21 PM

Great thread - looking forward to your impressions and feedback with the JDL kit and also your choice to go w/ 2860r (i.e. spool up time, top end, etc...)

SlickWillyFRS 07-10-2019 06:46 PM

I want to run something by you guys, as many of you have much more knowledge and experience than I do.

I'm going to display the parts list I intend to add on to the car, in the order I intend to do it. I'd like some opinions/critiques on my plan. If there is anything I may be forgetting or should really consider adding, please let me know! (This is a big picture plan and is not an all inclusive list, it mainly focuses on performance modifications.) Please keep in mind that I am running and intend to run stock internals and keep it within a "safe" power range, for now. Before I get torn into about StOcK iNtErNaLs, I've been in contact with Jesse, the owner of JDL and the guys over at Delicious Tuning about appropriate power levels with and without e-85.

-Turbo Kit ✓
-ACT 6-Puck Clutch/Light Weight Fly Wheel
-JDL Oil-Cooler
-18x9.5 Wheels
-Tires (not sure about the specs yet, I'll figure it out)
-Big Brake Setup
-Coils
-Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel Kit
-Exhaust
-Intake snorkel

Thanks my guys! Stay tuned.

pillbox 07-10-2019 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickWillyFRS (Post 3235665)
I want to run something by you guys, as many of you have much more knowledge and experience than I do.

I'm going to display the parts list I intend to add on to the car, in the order I intend to do it. I'd like some opinions/critiques on my plan. If there is anything I may be forgetting or should really consider adding, please let me know! (This is a big picture plan and is not an all inclusive list, it mainly focuses on performance modifications.) Please keep in mind that I am running and intend to run stock internals and keep it within a "safe" power range, for now. Before I get torn into about StOcK iNtErNaLs, I've been in contact with Jesse, the owner of JDL and the guys over at Delicious Tuning about appropriate power levels with and without e-85.

-Turbo Kit ✓
-ACT 6-Puck Clutch/Light Weight Fly Wheel
-JDL Oil-Cooler
-18x9.5 Wheels
-Tires (not sure about the specs yet, I'll figure it out)
-Big Brake Setup
-Coils
-Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel Kit
-Exhaust
-Intake snorkel

Thanks my guys! Stay tuned.

I think you'll want to upgrade the clutch fork with the upgraded clutch. I've heard people run into failures when they upgrade their clutches.

Other thank the oil cooler, what other cooling mods are you planning to do to support the turbo?

SlickWillyFRS 07-10-2019 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pillbox (Post 3235672)
I think you'll want to upgrade the clutch fork with the upgraded clutch. I've heard people run into failures when they upgrade their clutches.

Other thank the oil cooler, what other cooling mods are you planning to do to support the turbo?

Honestly I didn't even think of that. I will definitely look in to the clutch fork. Other than the oil cooler I've got the air-to-air inter cooler provided in JDL's kit. Besides that, I'm not really sure what else there is to promote lower oil temps. My coolant levels right now are peaking at 93F so not too hot. I was planing to make a custom intake snorkel to assist with intake temps (even though its being boosted shortly thereafter). Anything else you had in mind for supporting "cooling mods"?

pillbox 07-11-2019 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickWillyFRS (Post 3235724)
Honestly I didn't even think of that. I will definitely look in to the clutch fork. Other than the oil cooler I've got the air-to-air inter cooler provided in JDL's kit. Besides that, I'm not really sure what else there is to promote lower oil temps. My coolant levels right now are peaking at 93F so not too hot. I was planing to make a custom intake snorkel to assist with intake temps (even though its being boosted shortly thereafter). Anything else you had in mind for supporting "cooling mods"?

I think the JDL kit you have is already thermal ceramic coated (bronze), so that helps with underhood temps.

I would definitely recommend vented hood and DEI gold thermal tape for the charge pipe section that passes over the downpipe.

Another thing you can do is a turbo blanket for the the turbo exhaust housing. :w00t:

SlickWillyFRS 07-28-2019 10:13 PM

Oil cooler install ^

SlickWillyFRS 09-14-2019 08:41 PM

Update: new wheels and tires!