Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   User/Vendor/Sponsor Reviews, Feedback, Comments (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Perrin Engine Mounts (FI) User Caution (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58984)

tg_1981 02-23-2014 11:21 AM

Perrin Engine Mounts (FI) User Caution

2 Attachment(s)
This review is about my experience with Perrin's Engine Mounts for Force Induction Application

Purchase Date: Jan 2013
Received Date: April 2013
Installed Date: April 15, 2013

***The pictures kinda sum it all up. The mounts are melting!:mad0260:***
Let me start off by saying I live in Florida and this car has been FI(Perrin Tuned Vortech & FA20Club Turbo) . The exhaust system on the car was a Perrin 2.5 header back. We only found this problem because I was switching setups to a 3inch header back exhaust system. Huge props to @Ironsquid for seeing it. I also have every cooling product on the car you can buy to keep engine bay temps down.(vented hood, ceramic coating, radiator, oil cooler...etc)

Quality: 4/5
Design looks great. Mounts felt like quality in hand. When on the car the engine mounts kept the engine from rocking. Very little NVH.

Packaging: 5/5
Came in a nice box with bubble wrap well packaged.

Install:
Can't comment on this mechanic installed them.

Durability: 1/5
The mounts have only been on for 10 months and this is the condition of them. The mount is disentgrating you can pick pieces of urethane right off.

Evasive Motorsports 02-24-2014 12:27 AM

Yeah this car gets very hot when boosted. Pretty sure guys at Perrin will take care of you. Good luck. Maybe solid mounts next?

FT-86 SpeedFactory 02-24-2014 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evasive Motorsports (Post 1552369)
Yeah this car gets very hot when boosted. Pretty sure guys at Perrin will take care of you. Good luck. Maybe solid mounts next?

Have to agree. This is not a typical application and would of had the worse issues with the stock mounts.

Your tuner may want to check EGT's as well as you may be close to melting other items. Can't even imagine the ambient temps in that area to melt something like that.

Sportsguy83 02-24-2014 09:23 AM

@PERRIN
@PERRIN_ADAM
@PERRIN_Chris
@PERRIN_Christina
@PERRIN_Jeff
@PERRIN_Mladen

Dave-ROR 02-24-2014 09:57 AM

Did you call Perrin to get a replacement? Or to discuss? It could have been a bad part, or your EGTs are too high. Others are using those mounts but I haven't heard of any others melting (but few people check).

Solid mounts are probably going to be your best bet though.

OrbitalEllipses 02-24-2014 10:09 AM

Stock part on the turbo EJ series engines has a heat shield over it - never seen an aftermarket part that included this so you may want to look into getting one fabbed (as I wouldn't want solid mounts for NVH reasons).

Ironsquid 02-24-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FT-86 SpeedFactory (Post 1552447)
Have to agree. This is not a typical application and would of had the worse issues with the stock mounts.

Your tuner may want to check EGT's as well as you may be close to melting other items. Can't even imagine the ambient temps in that area to melt something like that.

You guys don't live in Florida where it gets 98 degrees in winter. I melted a couple generic slimfans in a couple hours in Miami a month ago.

In any case, I'm pretty sure the Perrin mounts weren't designed for FI originally as I believe these came out of production before most turbo kits were developed.

It's not a bad part, but you northern parts shops need to consider 100+ ambient temps everyday driving, even if his car wasn't turbo'd these would have melted with aftermarket headers.

And FWIW, the stock mounts would have held the heat because they're made of materials with higher heat tolerances than a urethane filled and exposed mount. (weaker albeit, but *could* withstand the heat)

Dave-ROR 02-24-2014 11:00 AM

Man it's already too hot around here. Later this week should be nice though :)

Ironsquid 02-24-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 1552902)
Man it's already too hot around here. Later this week should be nice though :)

I dunno man, 98 in Miami in winter time. I might move out of Florida this summer =/

Dave-ROR 02-24-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironsquid (Post 1552920)
I dunno man, 98 in Miami in winter time. I might move out of Florida this summer =/

yeah it was high 80s or so last week. Mid week and late this week it should be nice.

Off topic now, but if I didn't have my current job and my elderly parents around here I'd be gone already.

Ironsquid 02-24-2014 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 1552935)
yeah it was high 80s or so last week. Mid week and late this week it should be nice.

Off topic now, but if I didn't have my current job and my elderly parents around here I'd be gone already.

Thats funny, if I didnt have my wife..

Yeah offtopic a little. But yeah heat sucks.

King Tut 02-24-2014 11:29 AM

Remember that the OEM header and overpipe had heat shielding that the aftermarket parts don't have. I would have contacted Perrin prior to making this thread and seen what they said. If you want to continue to run their mounts then ask for new ones and wrap your pipe in that area or make a heat shield like @OrbitalEllipses recommended.

OrbitalEllipses 02-24-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironsquid (Post 1552841)
And FWIW, the stock mounts would have held the heat because they're made of materials with higher heat tolerances than a urethane filled and exposed mount. (weaker albeit, but *could* withstand the heat)

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Tut (Post 1552966)
Remember that the OEM header and overpipe had heat shielding that the aftermarket parts don't have. I would have contacted Perrin prior to making this thread and seen what they said. If you want to continue to run their mounts then ask for new ones and wrap your pipe in that area or make a heat shield like @OrbitalEllipses recommended.

I've heard of Group-N mounts breaking over time, but I've never seen a melted example - even when you remove the stock heat shielding from the OEM mount in the WRX platform and replace the headers/etc. with unshielded piping. So the STI mounts for this engine may be another option as they are high durometer rubber as well.

PERRIN_Chris 02-24-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tg_1981 (Post 1551121)
This review is about my experience with Perrin's Engine Mounts for Force Induction Application

Purchase Date: Jan 2013
Received Date: April 2013
Installed Date: April 15, 2013

***The pictures kinda sum it all up. The mounts are melting!:mad0260:***
Let me start off by saying I live in Florida and this car has been FI(Perrin Tuned Vortech & FA20Club Turbo) . The exhaust system on the car was a Perrin 2.5 header back. We only found this problem because I was switching setups to a 3inch header back exhaust system. Huge props to @Ironsquid for seeing it. I also have every cooling product on the car you can buy to keep engine bay temps down.(vented hood, ceramic coating, radiator, oil cooler...etc)

Quality: 4/5
Design looks great. Mounts felt like quality in hand. When on the car the engine mounts kept the engine from rocking. Very little NVH.

Packaging: 5/5
Came in a nice box with bubble wrap well packaged.

Install:
Can't comment on this mechanic installed them.

Durability: 1/5
The mounts have only been on for 10 months and this is the condition of them. The mount is disentgrating you can pick pieces of urethane right off.

That is not normal for sure, sending PM! Sorry for the hassle. I'm not sure how many customers of ours have turbo kits installed with our header, this is the first we've seen melt! It could be that it will need additional head shielding.