Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Aftermarket Intake + Bog Issues - Read Here (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15651)

2forme 08-25-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TyperRspec789 (Post 402720)
I have the Injen intake installed as well, WITHOUT a tune. I have not had any issues with a low rpm take off in 1st gear.

I'm kindof worried now, i participated in the Visconti stage 1 tune group buy... I'll definitely report back if I experience issues once I do the tune.

I don't think it's related to the tune. I've seen more people on stock tunes have issues than us with tunes.

Jidonsu 08-25-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TyperRspec789 (Post 402720)
I have the Injen intake installed as well, WITHOUT a tune. I have not had any issues with a low rpm take off in 1st gear.

I'm kindof worried now, i participated in the Visconti stage 1 tune group buy... I'll definitely report back if I experience issues once I do the tune.

If you don't mind, please do the test as specified in the original post if you haven't already. Thanks for you input so far.

Jidonsu 08-25-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACK 8URT0N (Post 402715)
I am going to hold off on installing the Airaid intake I purchased, and keep an eye on this thread. Hopefully, there will be a fix coming, as it seems enough people are experiencing issues with the MAF.

The install is really easy and I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't mind, please install it, do the test as specified, and report back. Worse case scenario, you just reinstall the stock intake. Best case scenario, your intake works fine. I can do a swap in about 10 minutes now. It's not that bad.

civicdrivr 08-26-2012 01:03 AM

Thanks for starting this thread. I feel bad for bombarding Airaids thread with this, but I didn't like that posts were being deleted.

As I posted in that thread, I have this issue. My mods:

-Airaid intake, sound tube and snorkel deleted
-Perrin crank pully
-Visconti Stage 1 tune

I run 93 octane fuel with ~10% ethanol in it (unfortunately). I dont need to go WOT for it to bog either. I gave it just a bit more then 50% throttle yesterday at 2k rpms in first and the engine fell flat on its face.

I've noticed that throttle response below 4k rpms is lacking as well. Starting off in first gear takes more throttle then it used to. I, too, plan on sending @Visconti a log.

bimmerboy 08-26-2012 01:11 AM

the problem isn't your intake, its the tune! the tune is not set up for the intake... I would talk to your tuner and see if they can create a custom map for you

Tradewind 08-26-2012 01:17 AM

Tune or not

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmerboy (Post 403067)
the problem isn't your intake, its the tune! the tune is not set up for the intake... I would talk to your tuner and see if they can create a custom map for you

Bimmerboy

It says above (read all the posts) that the condition exists on stock and non stock tunes.

Hawaiian 08-26-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tradewind (Post 403081)
Bimmerboy

It says above (read all the posts) that the condition exists on stock and non stock tunes.

If you read through the thread and the airraid thread you would know people without the tune are having the same problems.

bimmerboy 08-26-2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tradewind (Post 403081)
Bimmerboy

Exactly!! The stock tune AND the Stage 1 tunes that are floating around are not properly setup to handle these intakes.

I even remember perrin addressing this in one of their threads, stating that their intake will require a tune if used...

sho220 08-26-2012 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmerboy (Post 403105)
Exactly!! The stock tune AND the Stage 1 tunes that are floating around are not properly setup to handle these intakes.

I even remember perrin addressing this in one of their threads, stating that their intake will require a tune if used...

I'd be a bit peeved if I dropped the cash for one of these intakes and was then told I'd need a tune to have it work properly...

Akired86 08-26-2012 02:30 AM

This graph probably describe your issue. If you want to read about it here the link.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3046/...6e761897_o.png

|-Goku-| 08-26-2012 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2forme (Post 402698)
First, some back ground info

I have a 6MT BRZ Limited with just over 2000 miles.

My mods thus far are Perrin crank pulley, SRT HB Exhaust, and Visconti STG1 e85 tune. With these mods, I've never experienced any issues.

After installing the AIRAID intake, I immediately noticed a loss of low end throttle response. I originally thought it was just the ECU going through it's learning process. However, the car started occasionally cutting power and jerking while pulling away from a stop or accelerating heavily from low RPM. I managed to capture this on a log seen here:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1345752122

Under heavy throttle, the MAF reading started spiking up and down. As a result, the ECU cut all the ignition timing. I sent the log to @Visconti and am waiting to hear what he says.

Now, Cobb uses "air straighteners" in all of their subaru intakes right before the MAF. The stock intake also uses these. An example is here:

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7116/35yu.jpg

I'm willing to bet, the stock MAF is tuned to use these and having the MAF so close to the velocity stack is messing with out readings. I'm surprised aftermarket companies overlook these. Especially with these molded plastic parts, it would be entirely easy, and cheap to implement.

That's my theory anyway.

This sounds like the problem. The air straighteners in the stock intake are there for a reason. When switching to the CAI/SRI the MAF is not able to read the air flow correctly because its just a sucked in, and it might not be getting picked up correctly as it "swirls"(dunno how to describe it) past the MAF.

With the straightener it allows the air to do just that..straighten out for the MAF sensor. This was a big issue for the 6th gen Civic Si's. When Injen, and AEM released their CAI for the cars, people were bogging down, and throwing CEL because the MAF wasn't detecting the air right. It could be resolved by flashing with a tune, and switching to MAP. But most people didn't want to have to do that. I know that AEM released a 2nd version with "veins" around the MAF sensor which resolved the CEL issue and any bogging down without needing a tune.

With that said, I'm not sure how our ECUs work, and I don't know if we can switch to MAP or not. But it sounds like the intake companies need to install veins into the intakes for our cars.

pdreams 08-26-2012 02:54 AM

I thought the reason or at least one of the reason for the velocity stack was to straighten out the air.

Is the MAF now located before the velocity stack?

I wonder if the intake manufacturers are now going to provide some sort of add -on kit.

Now that there are some postings on the mass air flow, given the STOCK/NO PROBLEM scenario, how is it suppose to look?

Hawaiian 08-26-2012 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmerboy (Post 403105)

No, Perrin has 2 intakes. One that does not require a tune and one that does not. If you can't contribute to the thread, don't post.

Here's a link for you.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=perrin+intake

"What we have learned is we will be offering two intakes. One that runs very close to the stock MAF curve, this will suite the more common customer that doesn't need or want a tune, but would rather get some really cool sounds along with a bit of HP. The other intake will require an ECU retune, and is designed for the customer who wants the maximum HP from his car."

Can people please use a search function before claiming to know things?

R2RO 08-26-2012 03:57 AM

I had that jerk coming from the engine as soon as i installed the injen short ram.
I disconnected the MAF Sensor and started back up the engine.
Then Reconnected the MAF Sensor and started back up the car.
And after i ran the car for 4 mins under 2000rpm so the ECU could Accept the new intake and not jerk anymore.
I restarted the car 4 times and ran it and the check engine light came out, and the car stopped jerking and ran way better.