Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   AOS/Catch Can Needed for Supercharger Support Mod? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144882)

Jasper 04-10-2021 08:37 PM

AOS/Catch Can Needed for Supercharger Support Mod?

I know this is one of the most debated questions in the 86 community.
I ask this question because CSG Mike brings up the point of an AOS/Catch Can not being necessary due to the differing design of FA20 vs the traditional boxer motors boxer-heads like to focus on (mainly the EJ). So what do the other 86 owners think? I'd like to hear from everyone who has a strong opinion!

Ashikabi 04-10-2021 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper (Post 3422046)
I know this is one of the most debated questions in the 86 community.

I ask this question because CSG Mike brings up the point of an AOS/Catch Can not being necessary due to the differing design of FA20 vs the traditional boxer motors boxer-heads like to focus on (mainly the EJ). So what do the other 86 owners think? I'd like to hear from everyone who has a strong opinion!

I trust Mike's judgement. But it's not a bad idea. I had a catch can buy never had anything in it though

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Jasper 04-10-2021 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashikabi (Post 3422066)
I trust Mike's judgement. But it's not a bad idea. I had a catch can buy never had anything in it though

Very interesting... Were you boosted or NA?

Ashikabi 04-10-2021 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper (Post 3422083)
Very interesting... Were you boosted or NA?

NA

DarkPira7e 04-10-2021 10:42 PM

I think it catches vapor. Mine caught some if I was hammering on it a lot. Not certain how much "catching" it helps though. I think it's nice to be able see monitor how much you're getting and not recirculate it

Ashikabi 04-10-2021 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3422085)
I think it catches vapor. Mine caught some if I was hammering on it a lot. Not certain how much "catching" it helps though. I think it's nice to be able see monitor how much you're getting and not recirculate it

A catch can shouldn't recirculate anything but air. That's what it's for. Vapor goes in, air comes out(presumably). I beat on mine pretty good and never got anything. After my LS1 swap I caught shit tons. But the LS1 was really bad about sucking oil through the PCV. Now that I switched to the LS6 valley cover, I'm not hardly catching anything

DarkPira7e 04-10-2021 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashikabi (Post 3422090)
A catch can shouldn't recirculate anything but air. That's what it's for. Vapor goes in, air comes out(presumably). I beat on mine pretty good and never got anything. After my LS1 swap I caught shit tons. But the LS1 was really bad about sucking oil through the PCV. Now that I switched to the LS6 valley cover, I'm not hardly catching anything

I meant vs not having one at all, haha. What I was wasn't very clear, I'm overtired

sam69 04-11-2021 10:04 AM

I would Defiantly put a catch can in as it cost us a new motor when tracking the car due to oil and the result was 4 bent rods !

NoHaveMSG 04-11-2021 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam69 (Post 3422172)
I would Defiantly put a catch can in as it cost us a new motor when tracking the car due to oil and the result was 4 bent rods !

How the heck did that happen? Was it pushing enough oil to hydraulic lock the engine?

x808drifter 04-11-2021 10:49 AM

As I said in the other thread.

A catch can is used to monitor engine health.
And as Mike said, you probably don't need one unless pushing the engine hard.

If its catching alot of fluid something is wrong with the engine.

Do you feel the engine is or might in the future have blowby/pcv problems, get one.
Get one if you are going to be pushing the engine hard alot. (Track Use)
Or get one just because you want the peace of mind.

Otherwise on a daily, don't bother.

sam69 04-12-2021 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3422192)
How the heck did that happen? Was it pushing enough oil to hydraulic lock the engine?

It got enough oil through the pcv into the supercharger hence then the engine which bent the rods .
The cornering G forces were very high and yes pushing hard but we did manage to drive/nurse it home from the track.

bfrank1972 04-12-2021 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x808drifter (Post 3422199)
As I said in the other thread.

A catch can is used to monitor engine health.
And as Mike said, you probably don't need one unless pushing the engine hard.

If its catching alot of fluid something is wrong with the engine.

Do you feel the engine is or might in the future have blowby/pcv problems, get one.
Get one if you are going to be pushing the engine hard alot. (Track Use)
Or get one just because you want the peace of mind.

Otherwise on a daily, don't bother.

This. Depends on your setup and driving. If you're running super high boost, if your motor is tired/has a lot of blow-boy, if you track hard and frequently, it's a good safety mechanism and good indicator of how your motor is holding compression. If your motor is healthy, and you're running something like an 8 or 9 psi unit (especially a centrifugal unit), you probably don't need it unless you suspect your motor is tired (high mileage, uses oil). I have catch can on both PCV and CCV, PCV doesn't collect hardly anything, and CCV absolutely nothing. I'm running a Vortech unit that peaks around 11psi. Some motors naturally use more oil than others, so if you want to be safe, just spend a couple hundred bucks and get one for the PCV side.

NoHaveMSG 04-12-2021 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam69 (Post 3422472)
It got enough oil through the pcv into the supercharger hence then the engine which bent the rods .
The cornering G forces were very high and yes pushing hard but we did manage to drive/nurse it home from the track.

Me thinks there was another extenuating circumstance. I would 100% run an AOS boosted on track, but I can't imagine it pushing that much fluid to bend a rod let alone multiple rods.

Ashikabi 04-12-2021 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3422541)
Me thinks there was another extenuating circumstance. I would 100% run an AOS boosted on track, but I can't imagine it pushing that much fluid to bend a rod let alone multiple rods.

I think he's saying there was so much oil in the intake air that it reduced octane enough to create so much knock that the rods bent. Something along those lines. I don't believe a hydraulic force is being blamed