Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Anyone else can't stand The R35 GTR? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130515)

Tk rocket 09-27-2018 01:14 AM

Anyone else can't stand The R35 GTR?

I'm a huge Nissan Fan from the Silvia, 240sx, 300zx, 370z, Skyline GTR etc.

But when it comes to the R35 this car does nothing for me.

is it fast. YES

does it handle well...YES

Is it cool...Hell no

It simply doesn't have the coolness of 90's JDM cars such as rx7, supra, gtr, etc.

Car's of course evolve but the r35 is just so out of place

Nissan really dropped the ball on this one

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/117254.jpg

Strife26 09-27-2018 01:22 AM

It's a massive car too. I'm not a fan, but if I wake up a millionaire one day I might buy one...or well that was before the Tesla...but ya not a huge fan. Just respect it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tk rocket 09-27-2018 01:46 AM

If I had all the money in the world I still would not consider one. Maybe the word hate would be closer to my true feelings of as more so then just can't stand it. I can't respect it either.

The R35 is is like eating at ur fav restaurant for 13 years a next thing you know it had a chance of owner ship and the new owner totally changed changed the menu and type of food and i'm like fuck this shit i'm outta here

86MLR 09-27-2018 02:32 AM

I like them

WolfpackS2k 09-27-2018 10:07 AM

It's very large and heavy and unavailable with a manual, so it's never really been an exciting car to me.

I used to consider it pretty ugly too, but now, compared to so many other vehicles that have been designed in Japan over the last decade, it's merely par for the course.:cry:

Summerwolf 09-27-2018 10:11 AM

They're pretty decent. Idk why nissan hasn't really updated it or trickled down the motor in to other offerings in one way or another.....but whatever.

bfrank1972 09-27-2018 10:29 AM

Sooooo..... any of you ever driven one? :D

Stats/measurements don't quantify this car. Agree on the looks of the car, not terrible but not quite as sexy as the older cars. But cannot deny the physics bending attributes of this car.

m.box.design 09-27-2018 10:44 AM

it's a great car, especially when considering the performance for the price. i think people mostly drool over the previous models because they weren't available stateside.

Irace86.2.0 09-27-2018 10:46 AM

@Tk rocket ...You do know that the R32-R34 had the exact same drivetrain with minor tweaks and mostly just cosmetic changes to the bodies, right? The R35 has a completely different engine. And I have mentioned it before, but everyone seems to love wide body kits, fender flares and other changes that allow for larger wheels and a wider wheelbase, but when a manufacturer does it then the car is just fat and heavy.

@Summerwolf ...The R35 GTR was designed to be the first supercar that was made on an assembly line, so the cost could be kept down, but one piece was an exception and that was the hand assembled engine. One person builds the motor, so trickling it down wouldn’t be cheap if the current process of production continued, and perhaps adapting it to an assembly line would be impossible.

Summerwolf 09-27-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfrank1972 (Post 3138144)
Sooooo..... any of you ever driven one? :D

Stats/measurements don't quantify this car. Agree on the looks of the car, not terrible but not quite as sexy as the older cars. But cannot deny the physics bending attributes of this car.

Ridden in a stock one. Insane, even a stock one. Throws you into the seat without even doing the launch and the brakes, omfg.... slam you in to a windshield good.

I did drive one in and out of a showroom once when I worked at nissan. I contemplated just leaving with it, coming back and tossing them the fob but.... I didn't.

Summerwolf 09-27-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 (Post 3138155)
@Tk rocket ...You do know that the R32-R34 had the exact same drivetrain with minor tweaks and mostly just cosmetic changes to the bodies, right? The R35 has a completely different engine. And I have mentioned it before, but everyone seems to love wide body kits, fender flares and other changes that allow for larger wheels and a wider wheelbase, but when a manufacturer does it then the car is just fat and heavy.

@Summerwolf ...The R35 GTR was designed to be the first supercar that was made on an assembly line, so the cost could be kept down, but one piece was an exception and that was the hand assembled engine. One person builds the motor, so trickling it down wouldn’t be cheap if the current process of production continued, and perhaps adapting it to an assembly line would be impossible.

I'm aware that the engine is hand built. You're telling me they couldn't find a way to adapt lower trim levels to a mass production version? They just came out with a variable displacement motor ffs. Seems like if they could make it somewhat modular they'd have a great option and really get noticed. A titan that could compete with an EcoBoost ford?

Irace86.2.0 09-27-2018 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerwolf (Post 3138158)
I'm aware that the engine is hand built. You're telling me they couldn't find a way to adapt lower trim levels to a mass production version? They just came out with a variable displacement motor ffs. Seems like if they could make it somewhat modular they'd have a great option and really get noticed. A titan that could compete with an EcoBoost ford?

They did. You haven’t seen the Nissan Juke-R?

The engine isn’t modular, so they couldn’t lop off two cylinders or swap turbos and call it a day. The turbos and pre-cats integrate into the exhaust manifolds as one giant piece. The oil system is unique. The internals are unique. The transmission is unique. They could do it, but it wouldn’t be cheap or necessary. They can just develop or turbocharge an existing VQ motor.

Summerwolf 09-27-2018 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 (Post 3138170)
They did. You haven’t seen the Nissan Juke-R?

The engine isn’t modular, so they couldn’t lop off two cylinders or swap turbos and call it a day. The turbos and pre-cats integrate into the exhaust manifolds as one giant piece. The oil system is unique. The internals are unique. The transmission is unique. They could do it, but it wouldn’t be cheap or necessary. They can just develop or turbocharge an existing VQ motor.

Modular as in being able to fit multiple platforms....not lopping off cylinders.

Of course everything GTR specific would be unique. They could still base things off that motor and make a great production style piece to fit other needs.

The vq has been around since 94 in some way or another. Idk why they dont do like ford or Chevy and make a decent motor that fits almost everything. Seems like it would save money in the long run. Chevy has handbuilt motors and a production version of the same thing and has done that for a while....

Sasquachulator 09-27-2018 12:07 PM

Im not a fan, but never really was a GTR fan to begin with

The R35 is also a heavyass pig, it was meant to appeal to the playstation crowd I think (including the numerous in dash status stuff, and the ability to download data to Gran Turismo when it first came out?)