Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   FRS/BRZ/GT86 Aerodynamics Video! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75199)

graysgarage 10-01-2014 01:47 PM

FRS/BRZ/GT86 Aerodynamics Video!

Ever wonder what the flow around the Toyota 86 looks like? How about the Toyota Supra? Mazda RX7? or the Toyota MR2?

I've done some tests and compiled everything in an easy-to-follow video located below. Enjoy!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quDLzxmJl5I"]http://graysgarage.ca/random%20uploa...obannerep1.png[/ame]

stevesnj 10-01-2014 10:18 PM

Fantastic. I had a theory the OEM wing was just for show, I may get a 5 AXIS it seems to have a higher degree angle than the OEM so it should create a little more downforce since the air wont pass between the deck and spoiler thus pushing the rear down more. I wish he would increase the up angle 5 deg with a solid spoiler to see what happens but he didn't... darn, it's the first episode anyway. But with a higher degree solid spoiler conjunction with the under body flat panels it should will produce even more downforce. Very great video. Technical but very good idea. The nose that breaks the airflow y axis to x is needed for intake and cooling. F1 cars use rear side mounted radiator pods. And only some consumer sports and Supercars, MR and RR cars only get these.

PabloN 10-02-2014 11:41 AM

Terrific stuff! Look forward to future videos. It's been many many years since I was even remotely involved with fluid mechanics, but I couldn't resist trying some numbers. At the flow velocities shown (0.275 and 0.668 m/s) and using 1.27/24 = 0.05 m for the height of the FR-S model, I get Reynolds numbers of the model in water of about 15,000 and 35,000. The same calculation for a real FR-S with 1.27 m height at 60 mph in air gives a Reynolds number of about 2,000,000 which is about 100x the water channel value, if I did this right (always a big question). Do you expect the flow characteristics (e.g., separation) to change much over this range?

Dake 10-02-2014 01:09 PM

Neat video. For those of us without the background, the only thing I might add would be a quick summation of whether your experiments supported or contradicted the manufacturer figures (because maths). A simple, "Toyota said this; we got this. This is within/outside normal error." It's interesting to see the 86 seems to get slipperier at the higher speed - if I'm watching the video right. This seems to support my personal experience that I get excellent (and potentially better) mileage up to the mid-seventies.

I'm also curious, once the spoiler is added to the 86, the lower bubble gets bigger but the upper one seems smaller (compared to some of the other vehicles where the bubbles changed size in general but still seemed to stay relatively symmetrical). Does this mean anything?

I seem to recall reading the fully-aerod 86 is within .01 of the Prius so while building a Prius model might not be as exciting, I'd be curious to see if that was true. I had an '87 Celica and I also remember reading it had an impressively low CoD for its vintage - I do know I could get 40 mpg on the highway and regularly maintained 35-36 mpg avg. It'd probably also be interesting to throw a Tesla Model S into the mix. If it comes down to only one one-hundredth of a difference in drag to have something that looks like the 86 or Tesla over something that looks like the Prius, I think the case is clear. :)

From a model-building perspective, and not to criticize, but the paint jobs seem very rough; I'm curious whether that would effect the boundary layer separation in these tests. I would think a properly prepared surface and glossy black would better represent the actual paint job.

Lastly, I might suggest the production could be tightened up a bit. I suppose this is being presented in a manner required for scientific rigor, but after the first test for example, I didn't need to be reminded how the bubbles worked, which direction they were coming from, when you switched from constant to pulse, etc. ;)

I still really enjoyed it though. Thanks for taking the time to make this and I look forward to the next segment!

FyeaFRS 10-07-2014 04:49 PM

Canadian...

ichitaka05 10-08-2014 12:57 AM

Great info for sure... just only thing that kinda un-happy about was, not giving the credit in the 43:15. Which he got the pic from this forum but in the end, he didn't credit.

Yeah, I know, it's small thing, but at least he could of done was give a credit to the guy translated that brochure for all of us... unless he's AKI then, you're damn awesome guy!

Pizzman 10-08-2014 01:15 AM

Well that's a hell of a first post! Couldn't you have led off with something a bit more mundane. I mean electrolysis, fluid dynamics, blah, blah, blah, frs model with a horrible paint job, blah, blah, science! I jest.

I am very curious to see where this series goes. I appreciate the time it took to build such a huge tank just to dunk a model in.

How do you space out the bubbles from the wire? insulation? do they form into lines naturally?
Can you move the wire from side to side to view the entire width of the car in profile at different points, such as the rear view mirrors.
Can you turn the car on its side to see top down how the bubbles move around the car?

Kudos and please continue with this series. There are practical and tangible applications of what you are showing, to so much on this forum. turbos, exhausts, rear tail lights, crickets, giant 3 ton downforce adjustable wings, shit that probably will never and should never work.
A lot.

ps I watched almost all of it.

Yrr 10-08-2014 05:30 AM

Thanks for making this great video!

Aerodynamics are not my cup of tea, but you made it very understandable and informative!

I'm looking forward to watch your next episode!

But maybe you should change the background, I don't like the unaligned gray-blueish stone wall.
It's probably just my, but I felt my OCD kicked in hard every time i looked at it. :-P

MemphisR 10-08-2014 11:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
@graysgarage
I totally have an '89 MR2 S/C in the two-tone grey/silver as well!! They are pretty hard to find these days, good to see another MK1 fan. I had to take her off the road and get a more reliable car as she is starting to show her age. But I did get an FR-S as a daily :thumbup:. Tell me what you think.

Additionally I think that you should try the MK1 with the Plumbley mod, which moves the rear spoiler back a bit. Also consider a '67 stingray. I am curious if it has an exceptionally good or bad design for the 60's and now.

Captain Snooze 10-11-2014 08:50 PM

Thank you for a fantastic video.
Question about the flow tank. How much influence does having the tank horizontal have on slow speed analysis? That is, I would have thought having the tank vertical would have negated any tendency for the bubble to float to the the top. In stationary water how long does it take for the bubbles to rise to the top?

hmong337 10-12-2014 01:48 AM

This is epic! Best video I've seen in a LONG time! THANK YOU. This was an awesome video on fluid/air-flow dynamics. I hope Toyota is paying you for making a kick ass video ahaha.

Toyota fanboy here too. Here is my scrap.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ps2e6edb50.jpg

Props to another Canadian! Waterloo here. Can't thank you enough for such an awesome video.

Cheers.

Grip Ronin 10-16-2014 08:16 PM

well done. id love to see more on wheel arches and diffusers

abraxis 10-16-2014 09:34 PM

Kind of curious how some of those windshield wiper spoilers would look at that separation area.

Would also to be nice to see how vortex generators at the top of the rear glass look in front of those tall wings.

almedarj 10-18-2014 11:57 AM

I really enjoyed the video and having owned an mk1 Mr2 and my current car being an fr-s I was very interested. If I could make a suggestion for another topic I'd like to see you try the other spoiler types that are available for the frs so that we could see which spoiler would actually benefit our cars.