Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   First long trip with my 86... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136153)

PetrolioBenzina 08-03-2019 05:37 PM

First long trip with my 86...

Drove from Potland to Grand Junction, CO. Straight through, both ways.

1. The seats are more comfortable than I thought. I have a wrecked back, and I had no problems with that at all.

2. JFC, this thing needs another gear. Speed limits were 70 and 80 almost all the way.

3. The OFT with the E85 tune is worth every penny. I was frustrated with the car a few times since the trip was done with gasoline instead of booze.

4. I kept getting high-beamed. I need to check how the lights are aimed.

5. At about 80, I was noticing the hood seemed to be lifting a bit at the front. I was worried the latch was failing. I'd not noticed that before, but what else is there to notice in the middle of ID?

6. I like my 86. Nicest looking car in every rest stop, too.

humfrz 08-03-2019 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina (Post 3244255)

1. The seats are more comfortable than I thought. I have a wrecked back, and I had no problems with that at all.

2. JFC, this thing needs another gear. Speed limits were 70 and 80 almost all the way.

3. The OFT with the E85 tune is worth every penny. I was frustrated with the car a few times since the trip was done with gasoline instead of booze.

5. At about 80, I was noticing the hood seemed to be lifting a bit at the front. I was worried the latch was failing. I'd not noticed that before, but what else is there to notice in the middle of ID?

I thought Colorado was "potland" too - :iono:

:D

humfrz

RToyo86 08-03-2019 06:31 PM

Do you have factory LED fog lights?

I turn them off when I drive in areas with no overhead lighting. I got flashed a bunch driving on hilly country roads until I stopped using them.

weederr33 08-03-2019 07:02 PM

The oem hood has a lot of flex for sure, especially on the sides. I notice mine has a slight flutter when it's really windy or I'm going over 70mph.

Decep 08-03-2019 07:54 PM

Yeah the hood is really light. I only notice it on rough potholed roads but it can kinda bounce a bit haha.

Ultramaroon 08-03-2019 08:27 PM

My hood's rock solid even on the track. It can be adjusted.

+1 on comfort, taller sixth, and love giggles.

PetrolioBenzina 08-03-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3244288)
My hood's rock solid even on the track. It can be adjusted.

Gotta go faster than 70. :)

Atmo 08-03-2019 10:04 PM

Quote:

5...what else is there to notice in the middle of ID?

-- roadkill and potholes, especially hard to avoid at night cruising 80mph.

Ultramaroon 08-03-2019 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina (Post 3244300)
Gotta go faster than 70. :)

https://66.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m...t7p1o1_400.jpg

Bluefire98 08-04-2019 01:04 AM

Yeah these seats are surprisingly well designed. You wouldn't think that they'd be good for a long trip but I never have any back pain. My mom's newer pathfinder platinum however has awful seats and kills my back after an hour and a half. I have no idea why they do that

humfrz 08-04-2019 01:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Heck, you could have dropped in on ol @Sapphireho in Caldwell, ID. He only lives a few miles off of I-84.

He maybe still in his PJs (he's retired you know) but you could have pulled up a rocking chair on his front porch and had a big glass of stump tea - :thumbsup:

;)

humfrz

strat61caster 08-04-2019 01:55 AM

Butt support, seat that cradles your butt means your lower back doesn't have to work as hard to keep you upright. Have an Acura that kills me after about three hours, can do the FRS all day.

Just screw out the rubber stops to increase pressure on the hood to reduce flapping.

EAGLE5 08-04-2019 02:19 AM

I've seen the hood flap at 110 plus, but that's about it. On the track.

The seats are fine if you have normal to short legs. On a long trip, not enough thigh support for me. If the seat base were 1-2" longer, I'd be happier. I'm more torso than leg, but still.

DarkPira7e 08-04-2019 03:05 AM

Get the 3.91 or 3.73 rear diff from the 98-04 Lexus is300. Direct swap, taller gears