Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Any rust on these cars yet? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138054)

Snail 12-07-2019 10:31 AM

Any rust on these cars yet?

Hey all,

I'm a prospective buyer (just waiting to beef up my account a little more before I pull the trigger) so I'm reading as much about these cars as possible. Coming from a history of Volkswagen and Mazda products, rust has always been an issue for me. I don't ever want to repair rust panels ever again. And I always keep my cars as long as possible (10+ years)

Does the 86/BRZ have any rust issues, panels, creases or locations prone to corrosion? Do you guys rustproof your cars? How do the plastics and rubbers hold up to rustproofing? I know the paint is impossibly thin (my Mazda3's paint is pretty ridiculous, so I hold my farts in until I'm at least 10 feet away downdraft so as to not ruin the clearcoat). In the land of salty sh!t winters, pothole minefields and road debris, I'm concerned about the durability of the 86's body and chassis.

Cheers,
James

radroach 12-07-2019 02:16 PM

Early cars had a small issue with window pillar rust, salt water getting trapped between the seal. I think they fixed it by providing a little bit better insulation there. Easy to handle if you daub silicone grease down in there.

The underbody has a full rust coating from factory.

My control arms are rusty at 100k miles but not a problem considering that I'll probably be changing those parts by 150k miles.

The plastics and rubbers are holding well. I haven't lost any pieces or had any deteriorate in the 6-7 years I've had it sitting outside. There is some noticeable interior rattle when its cold and the glues aren't as compliant. And there are some issues with dashboards coming unstuck over the vents in the summer but its minor, I don't even care about that.

The body can be a different story. Thin panels that dent easily. Paint that requires very gentle care. Xpel film is a must to prevent rock chips. Also a windshield with "soft" glass that scratches easily.

Snail 12-07-2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radroach (Post 3281208)
Early cars had a small issue with window pillar rust, salt water getting trapped between the seal. I think they fixed it by providing a little bit better insulation there. Easy to handle if you daub silicone grease down in there.

The underbody has a full rust coating from factory.

My control arms are rusty at 100k miles but not a problem considering that I'll probably be changing those parts by 150k miles.

The plastics and rubbers are holding well. I haven't lost any pieces or had any deteriorate in the 6-7 years I've had it sitting outside. There is some noticeable interior rattle when its cold and the glues aren't as compliant. And there are some issues with dashboards coming unstuck over the vents in the summer but its minor, I don't even care about that.

The body can be a different story. Thin panels that dent easily. Paint that requires very gentle care. Xpel film is a must to prevent rock chips. Also a windshield with "soft" glass that scratches easily.

man, sounds a lot like my car, but with 50 extra horses to the other set of wheels. I have Protex clear bra on the whole front end of my car which helped a LOT in reducing the amount of paint destruction it would go through, but I want to learn how to apply it myself so I can just do the whole car and be done with it. I honestly see a huge benefit in wrapping 100% of the car in clear bra, especially in this day and age of absurdly thin paint and panels. There's no room to buff anything out anymore, so if you damage it, that's it. You either leave it, or respray it.

I think I'm looking for a 2017+ just for the shorter diff gearing and revised engine oiling upgrade (apparently?). I'll assume they cured any imperfections the early cars had.

radroach 12-07-2019 04:31 PM

@Snail you know you can reply to posts by just saying @Username instead of quoting everything I wrote.

Snail 12-08-2019 05:40 AM

@radroach I do now

:P

DarkPira7e 12-08-2019 11:30 AM

On my 4th winter with the car just below you in Vermont. There is minor surface rust on the subframe supports, but that's all. Anything structural seems to be holding up perfectly, and I drive my car every day in all weather.

The caveat here is that I do get my car undercoated with fluidfilm..

radroach 12-08-2019 04:18 PM

One area I'd be worried about is the rear frame rails. I'll try to take a picture later.

venturaII 01-02-2020 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3281369)
The caveat here is that I do get my car undercoated with fluidfilm..

That stuff is the shizz. I get a couple of cans before and after every winter and try to use as much as I can. The car drips for a couple of days but who cares.. Plus I like how it smells. lol

Spuds 01-02-2020 10:31 AM

Found the edges of the front subframe had some surface rust after a few winters. Visible from the front wheel well if you look closely.

Also near the top of the rear wheel well there are little gussets. One of mine wasn't covered with the factory undercoating well and began to rust where water can collect in it.

Subframe mounts and diff case get surface rust as well.

I didn't see any problems on the bottom of the unibody when I put the underpanels on 3 years ago, so that's probably fine, though you have a bit more winter than I.

Westen86 01-02-2020 12:37 PM

I have some bubbling under the door sill trim. 2013

YamahaR86 01-02-2020 01:18 PM

Live in FL, no snow and I don't go to the beach. Some of the coating on my front control arms are off and some rust is showing.

7 year ownership and 51k miles. Sits outdoors.

Gendry 01-04-2020 07:19 PM

Have had mine for a couple of years and no signs of rust, we don't really snow where I am and rarely ever travel to the beach. Prob just depends on where you drive it and how often. Also could be because I had mine applied with car paint protection?

ka-t_240 02-01-2020 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westen86 (Post 3287531)
I have some bubbling under the door sill trim. 2013

Curious for some pics of this. Has your rockers every been apart(accident repair)

Westen86 02-03-2020 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-t_240 (Post 3295958)
Curious for some pics of this. Has your rockers every been apart(accident repair)

Its a hail damage car, its possible the sill was painted for some reason. But also possible it wasnt.

https://i.imgur.com/AMmjm06.jpg