Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   STX setup sharing thread (2021) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143763)

Autoxer62 01-04-2021 07:55 PM

STX setup sharing thread (2021)

Well, the last one was pretty well received, so here's the 2021 thread starter.

No, really, *this* year I'll put the coilovers on the car!

I have collected some small bits (sway bars, engine/trans mounts, etc), so really, this time I mean it :D

Opinions on the KW V3 coilovers?

--Bryan

steverife 01-05-2021 09:16 AM

I'll put my setup on here.

I threw the car together last March, then only got to run a couple of events all year.

2016 Scion FRS
- ProParts Megan Racing coilovers - using Megan camber plates and front end links
- 400/400 springs
- Eibach 25.4mm hollow front sway bar (leftover from SSC set up), set on soft
- Mann rear bar
- Racer X rear end links
- SPC rear arms with DIFtech bushings
- JDL 4-2-1 EL header
- JDL OP/FP combo
- Invidia Q300 catback
- Perrin inlet tube
- Xero Limit Ecutek tune
- Whiteline transmission insert
- Whiteline subframe bushings
- 17x9 RPF1's +35 offset
- 245/40/17 A052's

Car was too low and I need to shift the front subframe to get the camber numbers I want up front. Never got around to it with Covid and then Nats getting cancelled.

I've got an Anti-Gravity ATX20 Restart and Mele Battery Box waiting to go in the car and I may do a few other things.

Hope to run a "normal" schedule for myself and my co-driver, which would be about 8-10 national events, and whatever locals I can hit at Bristol/ZMax/Huntsville, but kind of in limbo with Covid and possible travel restrictions related to my job and I'm having a lot of fun throwing frisbees.

Hopefully, STX numbers make it worth traveling.

M0nk3y 01-05-2021 11:12 AM

Copy and paste from 2020 with a couple updated items. I won't be running STX for 2021, I'm codriving within SSR. Anyways my car has a flex fuel kit going on it for E85 and track use. I think my days in STX are done.

2016 Scion FRS:

Suspension:
MCS 2W Remotes - Custom Revalve & Coated Piston
400/350# Rates
Raceseng Camber Plates/Raceseng 1" Top Hats in Rear
Front: -4.2* Camber, 0 Toe
Rear: -2.5* Camber, 1/16" Total In
Ride Height - Front Wheels 25" from floor to center of fender above wheel. Rear set for 1/8" Rake
Karwan FSB
Mann Rear Bar set of Stiff (I adjust all the time though). RacerX Endlinks
RacerX LCA
Whiteline Subframe Insert Bushings
STi Engine Mounts

Engine:
aFe Momentum Intake
JDL 4-2-1 Header
JDL Ultra Quiet FP/OP Combo w/Cat
Perrin 2.5" Exhaust
MotoEast/XeroLimit Custom Dyno Tune
Perrin Oil Cooler

Wheels/Tires/Misc
AP Racing BBK w/Ferodo DS2500s
RPF1s 17x9 +35 with 245/40/17 RivalS 1.5s + Yokohama AO52s
Antigravity 680CA Battery w/PFTuning Tray
Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace

e1_griego 01-05-2021 11:54 AM

I'm running STX again and probably for the next year or two, realistically. Don't want to switch to a 'big tire' car and the ownership costs for this car seem pretty low now that I've spent the money on parts. (I also have an s13 track day car, a miata with vvt/xidas/etc, and a fiesta ST daily driver, so the brz is the simple one).

Suspension:
MCS 2W remotes
5k/9k (275/500) rates
Raceseng CasCam front plates, 1" top hats in rear
Karcepts Front bar
Mann rear bar
Alignment is generally -4.2ish*/-2.1*ish camber, 0 / -1/16" toe.
Racerx LCA with a delrin bushing (instead of poly)
Racerx Rear endlinks

Engine:
Cosworth or k&n drop-in filter
Ace A350 header
JDL Ultra quiet front pipe
CSG touring86 exhaust
Perrin oil cooler

Other:
OS Giken lsd in 1way config
Whiteline subframe, diff and trans inserts
STi motor mounts

I run a few different sets of konigs 17x9 +40 with 245/40s. I mix between rivals and a052s.

Still run a heavier miata battery because I had one laying around when the 35lb beast died. Maybe I'll buy something fancy this year.

Stock brakes with Stoptech pads f/r.

smg1138 01-05-2021 02:14 PM

What kind of caster are you guys running for AutoX? I’m looking at finally getting some camber plates for my Tarmac 2’s. Been running them with stock top hats for years and am maxed out at -2.7 with the crash bolts. Not sure if I really need any additional caster adjustment or not though. I’ve heard too much can cause issues with the power steering?

e1_griego 01-05-2021 04:08 PM

I want to say mine is basically at stock caster -- is that 6*? I can't really remember.

racingfool 01-05-2021 04:17 PM

I prefer less caster.
With a lot of caster I feel like I'm picking up the inside front of the car with the steering wheel.

When I drove the 914-6 in my avatar I could barely finish the run the steering was so hard.
I told the owner it felt like a lot of caster. We popped the hood and saw the caster was maxed.

Westen86 01-05-2021 04:25 PM

What is the purpose of the Mann rear bar? Ive read its softer than stock? Does it have to do with the Torsen diff, or is it just to keep the rear planted on heavy turn in for autocross? Would it be beneficial in a "touge" setup? (tight hilly backroads)

steverife 01-05-2021 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westen86 (Post 3397823)
What is the purpose of the Mann rear bar? Ive read its softer than stock? Does it have to do with the Torsen diff, or is it just to keep the rear planted on heavy turn in for autocross? Would it be beneficial in a "touge" setup? (tight hilly backroads)

- Adjustability.
- There are 3 settings, the stiffest setting is supposed to be equal to stock.
- I don't see any reason to run a larger rear bar on the car, regardless of diff. Yes, it allows the rear suspension to articulate.
- Over a stock bar? Not really. Over a bigger rear bar? I think so. I drive my car on the Tail of the Dragon maybe every month or two. Rear bar is just a part of the equation, but the car is much more predictable with a lot less computer intrusion with the current setup compared to the SSC set up with the Eibach rear bar.

strat61caster 01-05-2021 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smg1138 (Post 3397784)
What kind of caster are you guys running for AutoX? I’m looking at finally getting some camber plates for my Tarmac 2’s. Been running them with stock top hats for years and am maxed out at -2.7 with the crash bolts. Not sure if I really need any additional caster adjustment or not though. I’ve heard too much can cause issues with the power steering?

Aside from a little extra steering effort I never noticed a useful difference playing with the raceseng cascam plates (goes from oe -6° to -7° iirc). Getting up to -4° camber is more important imho, you can mess with caster if it's free but on this car it's less critical then other suspension designs like the Miata.

Breezio 01-06-2021 12:59 AM

Still in STX with mostly the same as last year.

2017 w/ performance pack
RCE T2's
Camber/caster plates
-3.8 camber (probably going to push up to -4.0 - -4.2)
7.2 caster
0.0 toe
Hotchkis 1" hollow front bar
Rear LCAs
-2.5 camber
0.4 total toe in
UEL header, catback, OFT tune
255/40 A052's

Adding:
Various bushing inserts, trans, diff, rear subframe.
Overpipe
Inlet hose

Thinking about switching to Hotchkis rear adjustable sway bar. Looking for more predictable rotation with the rear end.

PLX92 01-06-2021 10:14 AM

Hopefully get the car a bit more dialed this year:

2017 BRZ Base

Ohlins MI20 R&T's from Works Motorsports - 6KF/7KR
Blox LCA (Poly bushings)
Whiteline 24mm front bar (Soft)
Whiteline front endlinks
Whiteline Trans mount insert

-3* F -2*R Camber (Increasing to 3.5-4F / 2.5R for 2021)
6.5* Caster
0 Front toe
1/8" Total rear toe in

Ace350
Motiv catted Front pipe
CSG Touring86 Catback
Tuned by Zach @CSG

17x9 Hypergrams
245/40r17 RE71R's (Will try Ao52's for 2021)

Adding 2021:
Whiteline sub frame inserts
Whiteline diff Inserts
JR Oil Cooler
Engine mounts - Brand TBD

M0nk3y 01-06-2021 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smg1138 (Post 3397784)

IMO - Run the most caster you can while not sacrificing your camber goal.

I have Raceseng Plates with the +1 of caster. So I have it set to that with whatever that ends up being. I have never measured it, I don't really care not knowing what it is.

I think it's worth it to try and gain as much dynamic camber as you can. I personally have not dealt with power steering issues aside from hitting NCM Faux Rouge at 114 MPH and loading up the car (at at sinkhole)

bslate3 01-07-2021 02:34 AM

I’m pretty much the same setup as last year. And if I remember right I’m right about stock caster settings. I tried running a ton of caster and didn’t like how the car felt in slower transitions.

Power mods:
Grimspeed intake, Tomei UEL header and overpipe, highflow cat/ front pipe,Kartboy crank pulley, OFT tune.

Suspension:
RCE T2 400lb front 500lb rear springs.
Whiteline 20mm front bar on stiff setting
Mann rear bar(settings depends on surface)
-4.2 front camber with 1/16th” toe out
-2.5 rear camber with 1/16th” toe in

AP Racing Sprint front kit with Ferrodo DS2500 pads front and rear.
OS Giken LSD with the Lugod specs
Rear subframe and diff insert bushings.
Light weight battery.

17x9+35 RPF1 with 245/40R17 Yokohama A052 or Falken RT660 for local events.