Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Roof trim line coming off (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13825)

mashal 08-05-2012 07:45 PM

Roof trim line coming off

2 Attachment(s)
Not sure if this is the correct spot for this, If not mods please move it.

Is anyone else having this issue ?
Mine is on the right side closer to the rear windshield , it's coming off but I looked under it and there is only 2 clips that hold it, which are fine just the rubber piece itself doesn't seem like its holding properly .

Attachment 11958Attachment 11959

mechaghost 08-05-2012 08:15 PM

Has it been really hot?

BRZranger 08-05-2012 08:16 PM

Super easy fix. It comes on and off like a ziplock bag. Just protects the metal seam. Maybe it is deformed?

mashal 08-05-2012 08:25 PM

Ye I think it deformed for some reason, I took it out completely and put it back in and same thing, just that one spot bulges

Brimford 08-05-2012 09:23 PM

I would take it back to the dealer and get a new piece just in case then.

francosolracer 08-05-2012 09:34 PM

It has two clips one on each end one is misplaced making the mohican strip to lift. Easy fix but better take it to the dealer.let me know if you need some help I work installing this strips @ the plant in Texas

mashal 08-06-2012 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by francosolrac (Post 361282)
It has two clips one on each end one is misplaced making the mohican strip to lift. Easy fix but better take it to the dealer.let me know if you need some help I work installing this strips @ the plant in Texas

What do you mean misplaced ?

FRiSson 08-06-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashal (Post 361086)
Not sure if this is the correct spot for this, If not mods please move it.

Is anyone else having this issue ?
Mine is on the right side closer to the rear windshield , it's coming off but I looked under it and there is only 2 clips that hold it, which are fine just the rubber piece itself doesn't seem like its holding properly .

Attachment 11958Attachment 11959

There was a video by a guy doing extensive detailing of the FR-Z. He noted that he was surprised that the roof strip was held in only at two points. He removed it so that he could add sealant underneath. So it appears to be a minor design flaw.

It looks one of three things happened to yours. Either the insert lengthened, or the clips were placed too close together on the insert, or the clips were placed too closely together on the roof. The dealer should measure all three components to see if they are within specifications. I would start by asking them to replace the insert. If that doesn't solve the problem, they should replace the clips on the roof.

ottawafrs 07-20-2018 10:12 AM

Sorry to bump this old thread.

I recently bought an old 2013 FRS and a few weeks later the driver side roof trim flew off my car while driving. I checked the passenger side and its loose as well (but held in at the ends where there are clips.

I got a replacement for the driver side and it fits snugly with no movement whatsoever. I think im going to replace the passenger side as well as a preventative measure.

I highly recommend everyone checks their trim for movement and replaces them if loose. You'll get better waterproofing/rust protection in the area and reduce the risk of it actually flying off, which could obviously be dangerous. The trim itself is $20CAD ($15USD) per side and you don't need to replace the clips.

ls1ac 07-20-2018 02:54 PM

Canada? Water and freeze?

ottawafrs 07-20-2018 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1ac (Post 3112569)
Canada? Water and freeze?

It's certainly possible. I should mention that the pieces were not deformed as shown in the OP of this thread, just loose (you can push on either endcap and the trim will bend, move freely).

The new one is extremely tight, and looks water sealed, so water shouldn't be getting in there. The car was winter driven but not garaged so there shouldn't have been that much freeze-thaw going on anyways. I'll check on it next spring and see if there's a difference (and hopefully remember to report back here). There's been a heat wave (around 40c/105f) here recently and that could also be a cause, as my car is black and parked outside at work.

Regardless of the cause, I'd just recommend people check them. A friend (also in Canada) has a 2015 and when I told him he checked and both were loose.

(ps - I know this thread is in the wrong spot, but it was the only one I could find related to the roof trim and thought it best to keep the discussion together)

bcj 07-20-2018 04:06 PM

Crows, jays and flickers like to prod at bits of rubbery stuff hoping to find something squirmy underneath.

I've heard that a New Zealand kakapo can mostly dismantle a land rover in under 45 minutes.
They're not hungry. They just like being D1cks.

240zdave 05-22-2020 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRiSson (Post 362081)
There was a video by a guy doing extensive detailing of the FR-Z. He noted that he was surprised that the roof strip was held in only at two points. He removed it so that he could add sealant underneath. So it appears to be a minor design flaw.

It looks one of three things happened to yours. Either the insert lengthened, or the clips were placed too close together on the insert, or the clips were placed too closely together on the roof. The dealer should measure all three components to see if they are within specifications. I would start by asking them to replace the insert. If that doesn't solve the problem, they should replace the clips on the roof.

Newbie here. I'm bringing this thread back up because the roof trim has come off his FR-S on the drivers side. The clip at the rear end (at the back window) had come off. I ordered a new clip to replace it, which when I first took it out of the package, appeared to have a foam adhesive backing that you pealed off and applied to the car, but on closer examination, it was not foam at all, but some kind of hard layer of something (probably 1/32" thick). Does anyone know if this is some kind of heat-activated glue? If so, is a heat gun sufficient, and do I heat it while the clip sits in place on the car, or heat it off the car until soft and then apply?