Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Air Bag SENSOR Cross-Compatability (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150262)

Kūsho 07-01-2022 12:29 PM

Air Bag SENSOR Cross-Compatability

So I was involved in an accident with my 2018 Subaru brz my passenger Air bag went off above the door panel with no passenger in the seat. I have one simple question and I am in need of immediate response, as this is the final part needed to have my vehicle back from the shop. Subaru has the sensor on backorder with no ETA. Does ANYONE have any knowledge about if the Toyota 86's sensors will work for the Subaru BRZ???

Thank you to any and everyone who respond!

Tcoat 07-02-2022 10:07 AM

They are identical parts with different numbers to match the stock system for each.
Odds are if Subaru is back ordered the Toyota part number will be as well though.

Kūsho 07-02-2022 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3532572)
They are identical parts with different numbers to match the stock system for each.
Odds are if Subaru is back ordered the Toyota part number will be as well though.

Toyota has them in stock. I just need to know if the Toyota sensors will work on the BRZ. Subaru has them on backorder w no ETA, Toyota can get them in 3-4 days

Tcoat 07-02-2022 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kūsho (Post 3532573)
Toyota has them in stock. I just need to know if the Toyota sensors will work on the BRZ. Subaru has them on backorder w no ETA, Toyota can get them in 3-4 days

Exact same parts.

Kūsho 07-02-2022 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3532574)
Exact same parts.

So will Subaru's system software read the Toyota sensors correctly and activate the airbags properly?

Tcoat 07-02-2022 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kūsho (Post 3532575)
So will Subaru's system software read the Toyota sensors correctly and activate the airbags properly?

Exact same means exact same. There are very few actual differences between the two including software.

Kūsho 07-02-2022 10:45 AM

Is there any proof of this? Have you personally used Subaru's sensors on your 86? (BTW, sick that u have the Hakone edition) I don't doubt your credibility, I just need to present the body shop with as much evidence as I can in order to have them order this part from Toyota. THEY said the parts are not the same.

Tcoat 07-02-2022 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kūsho (Post 3532577)
Is there any proof of this? Have you personally used Subaru's sensors on your 86? (BTW, sick that u have the Hakone edition) I don't doubt your credibility, I just need to present the body shop with as much evidence as I can in order to have them order this part from Toyota. THEY said the parts are not the same.

They are the same car built in the same plant with the same parts.
The only reason the parts have different numbers is that the two companies use different systems to identify and track inventory.
Not sure how this could be “proven” to them though.

villainous_frx 07-02-2022 02:21 PM

Friend is using a an 86 airbag sensor/occupancy sensor in his BRZ, no issues.

Grady 07-03-2022 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3532583)
Not sure how this could be “proven” to them though.

Install sensor, run into wall at 50 see if the airbag deploys.

Chances are Subaru nor Toyota makes the sensor. Look for a manufactures part number on the old and new sensor. Guarantee they are identical except for the box they come in.