Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Is my engine knocking? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142828)

SamtheKorean 10-17-2020 11:51 PM

Is my engine knocking?

Hello guys, always getting some good answers here so I’m gonna ask away. I’m currently running nameless long tube headers with oft stg 2+ 93 octane tune. Few days ago I’ve had p0030 popped up, I believe it’s my o2 sensor. I had the CEL for days and it went away by itself.. and now I’m just diagnosing everything and I noticed that my tablet shows KC learning number which is keep going up (anywhere from 0-6.00) during acceleration and sometimes I see anywhere from 0-2.00 briefly on knock corr column during acceleration. If anyone knows any of these symptoms it would mean a lot. Thanks guys

jason_456788 10-18-2020 02:13 AM

KC learned goes up higher as you step the gas pedal deeper right?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

SamtheKorean 10-18-2020 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_456788 (Post 3376662)
KC learned goes up higher as you step the gas pedal deeper right?

Yes it does and knock corr sometimes pop up as well

jason_456788 10-18-2020 04:24 AM

Same here. But without all your engine problems. So maybe it's not the cause of the engine code. Also, the code means you might have faulty o2 sensor. Hmm I'm not sure but I don't think youre knocking. Cuz when ur car knocks, you can tell it's noticable.

Turdinator 10-18-2020 06:07 AM

Take a log with the OFT and post it in the tuning section. You will soon get the answers you seek.

Spuds 10-18-2020 08:36 PM

Does the IAM drop after a few minutes? Also a log would be great.

TommyW 10-18-2020 09:02 PM

I dunno but tell it to use the doorbell next time

humfrz 10-19-2020 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyW (Post 3376766)

:slap:

https://yarn.co/yarn-clip/2bd891a1-3...byhhqqmFx.copy

NoHaveMSG 10-19-2020 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spuds (Post 3376761)

^^^^This. Post a log, be sure to read the sticky's in the software forum, otherwise it will likely be useless.

SamtheKorean 10-19-2020 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spuds (Post 3376761)

so when the car is started it starts from .70 and it goes up to 1.00 after few minutes of driving and yes i’ll try to upload my log.

SamtheKorean 10-19-2020 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyW (Post 3376766)

don’t have one but i’ll see if COBB sells a aftermarket one for my fa20:lol:

Spuds 10-19-2020 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamtheKorean (Post 3376864)
so when the car is started it starts from .70 and it goes up to 1.00 after few minutes of driving and yes i’ll try to upload my log.

IAM is driven by the knock sensor and resets after a engine shutdown/startup cycle. I normally use that as a determining factor as to whether there is significant amounts of knock currently.

KC learned I believe is persistent across engine shutdown/startup, so those values indicate regions where it has detected knock from sometime between the last time you flashed and now. This indicates that your engine is already reducing timing in that region.

So with IAM at 1, and KC Learned at some value, it shows that your engine is not currently knocking, but has knocked at some point in the past.

SamtheKorean 10-19-2020 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spuds (Post 3376867)
IAM is driven by the knock sensor and resets after a engine shutdown/startup cycle. I normally use that as a determining factor as to whether there is significant amounts of knock currently.

KC learned I believe is persistent across engine shutdown/startup, so those values indicate regions where it has detected knock from sometime between the last time you flashed and now. This indicates that your engine is already reducing timing in that region.

So with IAM at 1, and KC Learned at some value, it shows that your engine is not currently knocking, but has knocked at some point in the past.

Ah that makes sense, I know knocking in engine can cause by improper air to fuel ratio, do you think having a faulty upstream and downstream o2 sensor can cause this problem?

Spuds 10-19-2020 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamtheKorean (Post 3376869)
Ah that makes sense, I know knocking in engine can cause by improper air to fuel ratio, do you think having a faulty upstream and downstream o2 sensor can cause this problem?

Yes, it is definitely possible. The more upstream sensor is the important one for afr as I recall. The one further downstream is just a check to make sure the cat is working , which I think you don't have. Running lean is likely to induce knock.

Any idea what your ltft is? It changes at different load values (load increases with airflow) so you might need a log to see it. Basically if your o2 sensor is messed up, you are likely to see large + or - values in your fuel trim.