Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Fix Trans or trade in? New old FRS (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142137)

pragba 08-29-2020 03:07 PM

Fix Trans or trade in? New old FRS

Hey,

First time posting here. I've wanted an FRS for the longest time and I finally did this May. It was my first car so I went with a (Mitsubishi) dealer and got a used standard - 90,000 KM, black, in Canada for $12K.

I couldn't test drive it on the highway cause it was during the pandemic but almost immediately after I bought it, I recognized a high pitched whine from the 6th gear. Over time a grinding/rattling noise has started to come from the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears.

I got back in touch with the dealer as soon as I bought it and I've since been arguing with them. I even had it checked by the Toyota dealership and a 3rd mechanic and they tell me that it's transmission and clutch issue and could be costly - complete replacement or just as much work. [Total trans and clutch $5600 + $800 @ Toyota Dealer]

The dealership I bought it from basically washed their hands off it because I didn't buy their "warranty". Finally after escalation to their management, the guy offered me a $1000 dollars to fix this (which would barely cover the labour)
or trade it in for the price I bought it for from him for a '13 black Subaru BRZ he has with 35K km. He hasn't given me a fixed price but the thinks its gonna be $16K CAD.

I'm kind of stuck - what do you guys think I should be doing?

Getting the car fixed at another cheaper Auto Shop or going with the lower mileage BRZ or fight for something else?

Ernest72 08-29-2020 03:26 PM

Which car do you like better? Get that one. If you keep the car the money spent is similar.

DarkPira7e 08-29-2020 03:45 PM

Get the FRS fixed. If you get a different car, it's more of the same- something else could be wrong. At least with this car they're willing to cover some of it

Turdinator 08-31-2020 12:17 AM

If it were me I'd take the $1000, source a second hand g/box and throw it in the car one weekend.

If you are not mechanically inclined or don't have the tools the other cheap option is to find a second hand g/box yourself and get several quotes on installation from local mechanics. A dealer will almost always be the most expensive option and whilst you know you are getting shiny new parts being a dealer does not guarantee the mechanics doing the work will do a good job.

Immaculate Fury 08-31-2020 08:17 PM

I'm with Turdinator on this one

I noticed your post said that you're in Canada. eBay has lots of used BRZ transmissions for cheap and the $1000 you'll get should be more than okay to cover the cost of shipping and the unit. Find a low mileage one and you should be okay for a long time. I personally have bought 3 transmissions on eBay from the LKQ seller which ships in Canada, where I also live.

Now being that it is your first car, just be sure that the noises you're hearing aren't just a part of the operation of the car. I've owned many manual trans cars and this one has the rattliest, whiniest, roughest gearbox I've ever heard