Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Southern California (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   FR-S search begins (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21145)

mkiisupra 10-31-2012 08:06 PM

FR-S search begins

Last week, I put together the last bit of plans to move from my Focus SVT to an FR-S by mid-Nov. Started an earnest search (last month on cars.com/autotrader.com) last week by actually contacting dealerships about the car and its availability/QC issues and allotments being held up at port...

Wildly differing stories about the car and who/how to get one. All within about 100miles of home. Looks like my Hot Lava MT will be a bit of a wait.

Eric G

86 FRS 10-31-2012 08:23 PM

r u just looking for a Hot Lava color? if ur willing to drive all the way here to Milpitas Ca, there's 2 available FRS at Piercey Toyota Milpitas.

-Raven MT - Wheels Upgraded to 19" R5:F FiveAxis and Leather Seats
-Argento AT

just to let u know :)

mkiisupra 10-31-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prettyboyice (Post 531524)
r u just looking for a Hot Lava color? if ur willing to drive all the way here to Milpitas Ca, there's 2 available FRS at Piercey Toyota Milpitas.

-Raven MT - Wheels Upgraded to 19" R5:F FiveAxis and Leather Seats
-Argento AT

just to let u know :)

Thanks!

I am looking to work with a dealership who doesn't charge markup, does Piercey? Milpitas is not a problem, location-wise. Hot Lava only need apply. No upgrades, looking to autocross stock/street tire class.

Eric G

midnightfrolic 10-31-2012 09:51 PM

GL on the hot lava search. call everyplace around you and have them put you on their list. I lucked out on my raven. called several dealers and waited about a month. even put $500 deposit at my local dealer. another dealership called me and I picked it up within the hour.

Veloist 10-31-2012 10:41 PM

Good luck on the search, and don't give up because at times it can get frustrating. It'll be worth it in the end, and you'll appreciate your car more as you look back at what you went through.

2 months ago I made a list of the dealers that sell MSRP without dealer installed equipment. Try calling them to confirm if they do still sell for MSRP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veloist (Post 406380)
Just for future buyers, as of 8/27/12 the following sell at MSRP:

City Toyota Scion, Daly City, CA (upon availability or wait list)
Merced Toyota Scion, Merced, CA (upon availability or wait list)
Chuck Patterson Scion, Chico, CA (upon availability, unsure about wait list)
Scion Vacaville, Vacaville, CA (pre-order deposit and wait list only)
One Scion of Oakland, Oakland, CA (Wait list and deposit)
Melody Scion, San Bruno, CA (wait list only)

I've been calling dealerships all around NorCal and these are the ones that have confirmed they sell at MSRP, and are also backed up by testimonials on the thread.

I've dealt with City and Chuck Patterson, both positive experience. Melody Scion did a search for me (color+transmission) since they didn't have the car I wanted.

mkiisupra 11-13-2012 09:23 PM

Update: I emailed about 10 dealerships up and down CA central valley/SF bay area and even a few SoCA dealerships. I got the 'rare car, what? you want only one color?' story, which I understand. Finally today, I went over to Modesto Toyota, whom I have been in contact with over the past week. We spoke about the allocation swap concept and I think that they and another dealership (salesperson, really) who may actually help get this car here. Barring out of state purchases, the 8-10 week wait after the deposit (refundable) is about as good as I can get.

I am a bit tired of the hustle to get the car. It seems that the wait and see mode is best without getting too worked up in waiting for a new car.

The 'wait' should give me enough time to get the 240z turbo back on the road from last month's CV boot blowout and brake master/booster fail.

Eric G

mkiisupra 11-22-2012 01:40 AM

The Search Ends!

Found one last weekend, in Hemet. Just picked it up and drove back this afternoon, 7 hour drive through the Tehachapi Pass/Mojave/Bakersfield, back home to Modesto. Tried to keep it under 4k (save that time after stop and go traffic forgetting it was in fourth gear) and vary the speed, but had to make 400 miles and didn't wan't to do too much nighttime driving. Picked it up with 5 miles, got to watch the first smoke through the tailpipes, heatup smells, all that jazz.

Waiting for tomorrow to check out the car on my turf in daylight!

Eric G

http://www.pbase.com/egillis/image/147492758/medium.jpg http://www.pbase.com/egillis/image/66464780/medium.jpg