Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   FR-S / BRZ vs.... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Toyota 86 Vs 2018-Suzuki Swift Sport (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140933)

evoto86 06-15-2020 07:53 AM

Toyota 86 Vs 2018-Suzuki Swift Sport

As im looking for my next new car I want similiar things the 86 is giving me low weight, cheap thrills, low running cost and good on fuel but in a four door.

I'm contemplating the Suzuki Swift Sport 7-8 grand cheaper brand neww it has a 970 KG Kerb weight (something I will never achieve with the 86) and 1.4 liter 140HP engine with 240NM of torque (86 has more HP but is a 2.0 thirstier engine). Suzuki say the car does 8.1 second but people actually testing the car show the car does it in a healthy 7.1-7.5 second's and the Dyno number is really 150-155HP. Looking at this car it does not seem like I'm upsizing (Going to a better car) or I'm downsizing (Going to a lesser car) they seem to be two cars on a similar plain. They are both not refined by any means road noise, cheap plastics account for same situation. Although the Suzuki seems to be kitted out rather nicely compared to the 86 it features better safety technology.

I'm sure with a free flowing exhaust and a dyno tune the Suzuki Sport will make 180-190HP and with the Kerb weight no NA Toyota 86 is keeping up.

DarkPira7e 06-15-2020 08:18 AM

What are your goals for the car? This is a lightweight, FWD car. I'm sure there will be no measures taken to reduce wheel hop and torque steer if you try adding more power to it. Objectively, I don't think I could replace a barebones RWD car as ideal to me with a FWD car with even lower displacement and more safety features.

Try it and see what you think! Nobody here can tell you what is best for you unfortunately :(

evoto86 06-15-2020 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3341115)
What are your goals for the car? This is a lightweight, FWD car. I'm sure there will be no measures taken to reduce wheel hop and torque steer if you try adding more power to it. Objectively, I don't think I could replace a barebones RWD car as ideal to me with a FWD car with even lower displacement and more safety features.

Try it and see what you think! Nobody here can tell you what is best for you unfortunately :(

Just a fun daily and occasional spirited driving no plans to track or go crazy with it maybe an exhaust and basic bolt on's, I decided I want a fun little turbo car to get to A to B, but I don't want a fuel guzzler like an Evo for instance just something with enough HP that will give me the sensation of a Turbo car without the negatives associated with them.

biggest selling point of the Suzuki is its under 1000 kilo's which is insane for a modern car. I always wanted to cut the fat on the 86 but its to difficult and costly, and I never want to turbo charge it because weak Rods and not willing to get myself into a money pit.

9walker 06-15-2020 08:42 AM

Have you sat in one? The seat is so small and uncomfortable and I am not even a big guy.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

DarkPira7e 06-15-2020 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evoto86 (Post 3341119)
Just a fun daily and occasional spirited driving no plans to track or go crazy with it maybe an exhaust and basic bolt on's, I decided I want a fun little turbo car to get to A to B, but I don't want a fuel guzzler like an Evo for instance just something with enough HP that will give me the sensation of a Turbo car without the negatives associated with them.

biggest selling point of the Suzuki is its under 1000 kilo's which is insane for a modern car. I always wanted to cut the fat on the 86 but its to difficult and costly, and I never want to turbo charge it because weak Rods and not willing to get myself into a money pit.

Seems like it should fit well! I also need the turbo sensation in my life. My FRS is indeed a money pit now, but it's so perfect for me in every other way that I won't change platforms. I also got my car salvage as a flood car and got it for 10k with 20,000 miles in 2015, so I'm not as invested as most to begin with so I'm able to justify the turbo expense

evoto86 06-15-2020 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9walker (Post 3341122)
Have you sat in one? The seat is so small and uncomfortable and I am not even a big guy.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Yeah I work at a vehicle auction house we have had some regular 2018 swifts come in from a rental company that went bust, I'm 5'10 70-75 kilo's i didn't notice anything to bad when i was trying it out.

evoto86 06-15-2020 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3341125)
Seems like it should fit well! I also need the turbo sensation in my life. My FRS is indeed a money pit now, but it's so perfect for me in every other way that I won't change platforms. I also got my car salvage as a flood car and got it for 10k with 20,000 miles in 2015, so I'm not as invested as most to begin with so I'm able to justify the turbo expense

I bought mine brand new and they are not cheap in Australia 35 grand brand new, with a turbo kit it will creep up to 45-50grand.

alphasaur 06-15-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evoto86 (Post 3341114)
As im looking for my next new car I want similiar things the 86 is giving me low weight, cheap thrills, low running cost and good on fuel but in a four door.

I'm contemplating the Suzuki Swift Sport 7-8 grand cheaper brand neww it has a 970 KG Kerb weight (something I will never achieve with the 86) and 1.4 liter 140HP engine with 240NM of torque (86 has more HP but is a 2.0 thirstier engine). Suzuki say the car does 8.1 second but people actually testing the car show the car does it in a healthy 7.1-7.5 second's and the Dyno number is really 150-155HP. Looking at this car it does not seem like I'm upsizing (Going to a better car) or I'm downsizing (Going to a lesser car) they seem to be two cars on a similar plain. They are both not refined by any means road noise, cheap plastics account for same situation. Although the Suzuki seems to be kitted out rather nicely compared to the 86 it features better safety technology.

I'm sure with a free flowing exhaust and a dyno tune the Suzuki Sport will make 180-190HP and with the Kerb weight no NA Toyota 86 is keeping up.

the 86 is a no frills economical sports car intended to give maximum handling/enjoyment for the $

the suzuki is not a sports car. It's an economy car intended to get good gas mileage and be able to carry passengers/cargo.

They are very different cars.

You're not going to pick up 40 horsepower with an exhaust on a 1.4L naturally aspirated engine.

edit: looks like its actually a turbo 1.4. Neat. Will probably be fun with a tune, just need to decide if you want handling/visceral feeling of RWD or the practicality of a small hatch and more torque.

Red-86 06-20-2020 08:50 AM

Test drive one first. Great little cars, have driven one myself. Very different feeling car to drive vs atwin, not only FWD vs RWD but the whole seating position, ergonomics and feel of the car is very different. You sit up a lot higher in the Swift, almost crossover like, so it doesn’t have the low, sportscar like feel.

mrg666 06-20-2020 12:00 PM

To me, it is an absurd comparison. Both are entry level in their very different classes. Suzuki is a sub-compact hatchback and twins are sports cars. If you think Suzuki is a car that can handle like a twin or don't care about handling at all, go with Suzuki. My wife also likes to compare her minivan with my FRS and, actually, she likes the minivan better. There is no point of arguing with someone who does not appreciate a real sports car. After all, four wheels outside, a steering wheel and seats inside, right? From that point of view, Suzuki and minivan are so much more comfortable and useful with more available space.

mrg666 06-20-2020 06:34 PM

There you go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhEC4lBPhw4

radroach 06-23-2020 08:05 AM

The Suzuki looks great and has some of the right touches where it counts for sportiness. But agreeing what somebody else said, the seats look too small. It will only fit somebody who has slender shoulders and waist. Watch this video at 4:40, the cabin is much more cramped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAKwLkOLjuY