Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   BRZ vs S2000 around a track (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15728)

shermanpk 08-26-2012 09:54 PM

BRZ vs S2000 around a track

Just wondering how the BRZ would go around a track compared to an S2000. I know the S2k annihilates the BRZ in a straight line. Also what about the sports cars of old like the MR2, Skyline (granted the Skyline is a GT and the BRZ is a sports car) or RX-7? Have any of the media done real world comparisons around a standard track and seen times for similar cars. I do love the BRZ but I don't know if it is quicker than a number of competitors cars however if you want a new car this is probably the best car on offer at the moment.

Edit: forgot about RX-7

Superhatch 08-26-2012 10:10 PM

.7s difference in a 1/4 mile isn't "annihilating"...it just quicker.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9_hZqvY5RM"]Drag race : Subaru BRZ VS Honda S2000 (Motorsport) - YouTube[/ame]

The GTR vs. the BRZ...Ok, annihilated.

I'd wager that if you put better tires on the BRZ it would do quite well on a track vs. the S2K. It's unlikely that any but the best drivers would be able to eek out significant margins between these two cars on a track. I'm a lifelong Honda fan, but decided on the BRZ mainly because of the hard top and input from the engineers as to why they designed this car (good PR ftw).

random hero 08-27-2012 01:33 AM

I bought an S2000 and promptly sold it... just didn't enjoy the car. Handling was strange, seemed slow for a 200+ hp car, and was F'n TINY!!!! Dropped it off at auto-transport, drove to Subaru dealer and bought a BRZ... haven't looked back for a split second, BRZ is better in all aspects if you ask me.

FT-86GOD 08-27-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shermanpk (Post 404338)
Just wondering how the BRZ would go around a track compared to an S2000. I know the S2k annihilates the BRZ in a straight line. Also what about the sports cars of old like the MR2, Skyline (granted the Skyline is a GT and the BRZ is a sports car) or RX-7? Have any of the media done real world comparisons around a standard track and seen times for similar cars. I do love the BRZ but I don't know if it is quicker than a number of competitors cars however if you want a new car this is probably the best car on offer at the moment.

Edit: forgot about RX-7

Did u even bother to use the :search: button?

Heaps of info and comparisons if u bother to look......

jadewbj 08-27-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superhatch (Post 404356)
.7s difference in a 1/4 mile isn't "annihilating"...it just quicker.

Drag race : Subaru BRZ VS Honda S2000 (Motorsport) - YouTube

The GTR vs. the BRZ...Ok, annihilated.

I'd wager that if you put better tires on the BRZ it would do quite well on a track vs. the S2K. It's unlikely that any but the best drivers would be able to eek out significant margins between these two cars on a track. I'm a lifelong Honda fan, but decided on the BRZ mainly because of the hard top and input from the engineers as to why they designed this car (good PR ftw).

Well for every .1 in difference in 1/4 mile times the winner is crosses the line about 1 car length ahead of the looser. So .7 is about 7 cars, which looks like a royal beating on the 1/4 mile.

Turbowned 08-27-2012 12:21 PM

I imagine that given the same driver, equal tires and track conditions, the S2000 would have an advantage, although slight. I doubt it would be enough of an advantage for your average track day participant to be able to eke out. From what I've heard, the S2000 is a challenge to master. I've always liked the S2000, and would consider a low-mileage AP2 as an alternative to the BRZ if the price were right.

tomt5078 08-27-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadewbj (Post 405181)
Well for every .1 in difference in 1/4 mile times the winner is crosses the line about 1 car length ahead of the looser. So .7 is about 7 cars, which looks like a royal beating on the 1/4 mile.

So if my car runs 13.1 at 100 and your cars does 13.3 at 108. I'll win by two cars....................NO WAY

scorcherjf 08-27-2012 12:40 PM

You could just calculate a rouge estimate yourself... 100 mph is about 146 feet per second, so 1/10th of a second is 14.6 feet which is a bit over a car length. So yea, 0.2 seconds is about 2 car lengths.
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomt5078 (Post 405310)
So if my car runs 13.1 at 100 and your cars does 13.3 at 108. I'll win by two cars....................NO WAY

And in regards to a track battle... I think the S2000 will post slightly faster lap times on most tracks. Very small technical tracks the BRZ might be quicker. The Laguna Seca times for the BRZ that motortrend just did was 1:51.3 while a 2006 S2000 do a 1:50.7 (on RE050 tires, though).

The RX-8 R3 posted a 1:50.4 with the same driver also on RE050 tires. The three cars should have good competition with each other however the RX-7 is probably in a different league unless you're talking about the NA FC RX-7. A turbo FD would destroy these cars on the track.

TSY 08-27-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbowned (Post 405285)
I imagine that given the same driver, equal tires and track conditions, the S2000 would have an advantage, although slight. I doubt it would be enough of an advantage for your average track day participant to be able to eke out. From what I've heard, the S2000 is a challenge to master. I've always liked the S2000, and would consider a low-mileage AP2 as an alternative to the BRZ if the price were right.

I almost did this. Almost bought a low mileage AP2 S2000 with a hardtop which would have been much less expensive. But it just wasn't as fun to drive and even though it's a stiff chasis for a convertible, I could tell there was some flex in it.

Put better tires on the BRZ and I think it would be a much closer battle. But who cares? Even on HPDEs I'm not trying to lap my car 0.2s faster than the next car, I'm just out having fun. The BRZ does this very very well, better than the S2000 (and a lot of other cars) IMHO.

skeeler 08-27-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by random hero (Post 404692)
I bought an S2000 and promptly sold it... just didn't enjoy the car. Handling was strange, seemed slow for a 200+ hp car, and was F'n TINY!!!! Dropped it off at auto-transport, drove to Subaru dealer and bought a BRZ... haven't looked back for a split second, BRZ is better in all aspects if you ask me.

Did you bother to test-drive the S2000?

jadewbj 08-27-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomt5078 (Post 405310)

It's not exact but it is close.

azngolfur 08-27-2012 02:32 PM

Drove my buddies S2000 CR as well as another buddies RX8 this past weekend.

Like OP said, both of those cars were a lot quicker... but for my DD my BRZ wins hands down.!!!

Billman 08-27-2012 03:03 PM

Bought a FD RX-7, engine blew 3 wks later. Wouldn't buy one unless you have tons of $$$ to throw at it. I now have a AP1 S2000 and I don't think the FRS/BRZ is going to hang in stock form. More HP to gain time in the straights & even though the Honda is a convertible it is almost as light and the suspension is stiffer & more track-designed IMO. Eventually I probably will trade it for a BRZ but 9k redline, the fact the car was hand-assembled, & mine has a clean Carfax is making me wait at least until the 2014s come out.

xwd 08-27-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azngolfur (Post 405572)
Drove my buddies S2000 CR as well as another buddies RX8 this past weekend.

Like OP said, both of those cars were a lot quicker... but for my DD my BRZ wins hands down.!!!

I've driven a few RX8s and I wouldn't really consider them to be quicker, at least not stock for stock.