Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   My dealer only has an AT. But I want MT (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148564)

7r0j4n 01-24-2022 02:53 PM

My dealer only has an AT. But I want MT

Hi Guys!

I am considering buying a GR86. I waited for one month and my dealer finally got something for me. I like that car except that it is an auto transmission. I don't know what to do and please give me some advice.

I now have two options:
1. Buy this one.
pros: I don't have to wait anymore and the price is super reasonable.
cons: who would buy a racing car with auto transmission??? [Just kidding. No offence.]

2. Wait for who knows how long.
pros: I will get what I want.
cons: Only God knows how much longer. (Maybe two weeks, maybe two months)

WolfpackS2k 01-24-2022 03:00 PM

WAIT.

Even if its 2 months it is worth it. Hell, worth it to wait a year if you ask me.

StormTrooper 01-24-2022 03:12 PM

Don't settle for something you don't want. Search wider at more than one dealership. You don't owe them any loyalty

CincyJohn 01-24-2022 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7r0j4n (Post 3499347)
Hi Guys!

I am considering buying a GR86. I waited for one month and my dealer finally got something for me. I like that car except that it is an auto transmission. I don't know what to do and please give me some advice.

I now have two options:
1. Buy this one.
pros: I don't have to wait anymore and the price is super reasonable.
cons: who would buy a racing car with auto transmission??? [Just kidding. No offence.]

2. Wait for who knows how long.
pros: I will get what I want.
cons: Only God knows how much longer. (Maybe two weeks, maybe two months)

I realize you are asking for advice because you don't know what to do. But we can't provide you anything of real value. Only you can know whether you are willing to live with an automatic when you really want a manual.

For me, personally, I wouldn't even let it become a decision I would have to make. If it isn't a manual, I won't even consider it - period.

red_door 01-24-2022 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CincyJohn (Post 3499377)
I realize you are asking for advice because you don't know what to do. But we can't provide you anything of real value. Only you can know whether you are willing to live with an automatic when you really want a manual.

For me, personally, I wouldn't even let it become a decision I would have to make. If it isn't a manual, I won't even consider it - period.

Exactly. This shouldn't even be a question if you wanted an MT in the 1st place. You WILL regret buying the AT.

TommyW 01-24-2022 04:12 PM

Use another dealer

m.box.design 01-24-2022 04:33 PM

Just wait for the transmission and color you want. These will be rolled out in masse. You don't always have to be "FIRST"

AK2112 01-24-2022 05:32 PM

I could see taking a color you didn't want due to availability. Same goes for base vs premium.

But transmission? No way... don't settle.

Tcoat 01-24-2022 05:46 PM

https://64.media.tumblr.com/f8423773...7c8o1_500.gifv

Spektyr 01-24-2022 05:49 PM

Here's how I see it:

If you're torn over the decision it's because it's enough money to matter to you. If you have enough money that a $30-35k car is something you buy on a whim, you don't give it a second thought. You buy one today, and you buy another later.

Given that it's enough money that what you buy matters to you, buy what you want. Don't compromise. You don't want to walk into the garage for months/years to come and wonder "what if". You don't want to look at that car and see the thing you didn't get.

Personally, I'm getting an automatic. I'm not going to race it, and I want my wife to drive it. She can drive stick but pretends not to be able to because she doesn't like it. I want her to love the car and start asking me to make it faster. Then we talk transmission on the next one.

Plus, I'm going to use every excuse I can to drive this everywhere I go. I have a manual pickup and an automatic compact, and for daily driver duty the auto is just enough more pleasant that I'm not personally going to regret getting the automatic GR86.

At the same time, I 100% understand seeing this as a "manual or nothing" car for people.

Stick to your guns, don't compromise. Look farther from home. I found exactly what I wanted 90 miles away. Your local dealership might be willing to trade with another one to get what you'll buy from them today. If not, go get it yourself.

Sapphireho 01-24-2022 05:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like this one better.

driveside79 01-24-2022 06:26 PM

Don't do it!!! Wait for an MT. It'll be worth the wait, and if you instead jump on an AT, you'll regret it later.

fminicooper 01-24-2022 07:23 PM

Fishermen are not patient - they are expectant.

Expect something better than an AT.

BigTuna 01-24-2022 07:47 PM

Can you not order one with everything you want?