Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   2024 ts trim (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154313)

Shub Deetle 12-20-2023 10:25 AM

2024 ts trim

Do you think the new BRZts will drive noticeably different than the Limited version? Or maybe just on the track when you’re pushing it?

“The key mechanical changes include Brembo brakes front and rear, different 18-inch wheels, and an "STI-tuned" suspension setup with Hitachi dampers. These brakes are the same larger rotors and upgraded pads found in the Toyota GR86's new Performance package for 2024.”

x808drifter 12-20-2023 10:52 AM

No.

Shub Deetle 12-20-2023 01:21 PM

Thank you for your unambiguous, succinct answer.

cmiovino 12-20-2023 03:38 PM

Not really.

For the street, you're not going to feel anything substantial. I have the performance pack Brembos (2017) on mine and they're not that much different than the stock brakes in terms of feel compared to the 1st or 2nd gens.

For suspension, the ride is likely going to be slightly firmer, but not much. The Sachs dampers on the PP actually feel more "crashy" than anything. Spring rates will be slightly upped with some pink STI springs. Likely 10% and maybe 10-20mm ride height difference.

It's basically a performance pack for the 2nd gen, not even a "true" tS version like the 1st gens had. The Brembos are cool, but aren't really needed at all for the street and even autocross. Track days... eh, maybe for the heat capacity.

Subaru's been doing this a lot with their performance cars. Slap on some bigger brake kit and slightly up some other things that are barely noticeable and call it a new trim level. Look at the WRX TR that just was announced.

OldBiker 12-20-2023 06:04 PM

The blue stripe on the tS seats will be slower than the red ones on the Limited :-) All kidding aside, I would definitely stick with the two lower trim levels... save the $$ for your own stuff (or a new engine... see below).... then again, I AM old.

PS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFQaQuWwvbU

wbradley 12-20-2023 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hitachi trumps Sachs.

Desertnate 12-21-2023 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmiovino (Post 3598910)
For the street, you're not going to feel anything substantial. I have the performance pack Brembos (2017) on mine and they're not that much different than the stock brakes in terms of feel compared to the 1st or 2nd gens.

That's disappointing to hear. If I had one complaint I have with the car, it's brake feel. I prefer a more firm linear brake feel with more bite early on and the BRZ feels mushy at first with feel the farther you get into it. Plenty of stopping power, just not a great feel.

Quote:

For suspension, the ride is likely going to be slightly firmer, but not much. The Sachs dampers on the PP actually feel more "crashy" than anything. Spring rates will be slightly upped with some pink STI springs. Likely 10% and maybe 10-20mm ride height difference.
According to Road and Track, it's the same springs we have in our cars now.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews...of-the-greats/

I noticed Car and Driver mentions the new struts up front and nothing about springs, which seems to confirm this simply because they don't mention it as a change.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-brz-ts-drive/

Quote:

It's basically a performance pack for the 2nd gen, not even a "true" tS version like the 1st gens had. The Brembos are cool, but aren't really needed at all for the street and even autocross. Track days... eh, maybe for the heat capacity.
This was my take too. I'm quite happy with the current suspension set up and don't see how the changes would make a big enough difference to put any "daylight" between the TS and a lower trim. Based on your comments regarding the brakes, it's not a big deal either. It seems you could make significantly better improvements with aftermarket parts.

Shub Deetle 12-21-2023 10:09 AM

So I guess it boils down to whether you like blue or red inserts on your seats. Tough call!

cmiovino 12-21-2023 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desertnate (Post 3598937)
According to Road and Track, it's the same springs we have in our cars now.

This is interesting. You think they could at least toss a fancy looking spring on the car that's a different color, ha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desertnate (Post 3598937)
Based on your comments regarding the brakes, it's not a big deal either. It seems you could make significantly better improvements with aftermarket parts.

To go further on the brakes, I never felt the pedal feel was a problem on the twins. Now my 2004 WRX and other Subarus - yes, for sure. It's soft and spongy feeling. Adding a master cylinder brace helped and of course different pads, but it's still a longshot from the OEM Brembos on my BRZ.

I've driven a few first gen twins at autocross setup in the STX and SSC (modified) classes. All had upgraded brake pads. I never felt the brakes feeling like my other Subarus did being soft and spongy.

I'm not 100% certain, but the 2nd gens I've driven I'm pretty sure all had upgraded pads at least. Again, those did not feel soft/spongy at all.

Point is, I think a lot of the feel comes down to the pad compound you choose. Even on the Brembos, the stock (Jurid) pads are more like an on/off switch vs the Ferodo DS2500 pads I have now that are way more progressive feeling.

I like the fancy look of the Brembos, but you could achieve the same feel for the street and lighter track days with pads and a master cylinder brace. Even if you really wanted to go hardcore, you get get aftermarket fixed calipers like the AP Racing sprint kit for less than the tS trim level is going to cost you.

x808drifter 12-22-2023 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shub Deetle (Post 3598894)
Thank you for your unambiguous, succinct answer.

Your welcome. :cheers:

Lantanafrs2 12-24-2023 01:56 PM

They're making it more reliable with an aftermarket stroker kit

vindiesel 12-25-2023 07:41 AM

4.88 or 5.1 final drive would have been a spicy option

OldBiker 12-25-2023 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 (Post 3599103)
They're making it more reliable with an aftermarket stroker kit

You mean HKS? But how does a longer stroke make the engine more reliable when it has lubrication problems (we think)... and so far there has not been a definitive diagnosis of the problem(s)?

Also not sure how that would play in the Republic of Kalifornia where they won't even let you tune the engine for better throttle response... sigh.

Lantanafrs2 12-25-2023 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldBiker (Post 3599131)
You mean HKS? But how does a longer stroke make the engine more reliable when it has lubrication problems (we think)... and so far there has not been a definitive diagnosis of the problem(s)?

Also not sure how that would play in the Republic of Kalifornia where they won't even let you tune the engine for better throttle response... sigh.

I was being sarcastic lol