Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Downforce options for the GR86 (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150829)

jflogerzi 08-14-2022 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk (Post 3541253)
Buy a wing, build a splitter. Most of the shelf splitter are non functional or barely functional. Why? Main concern with those pieces is ground clearance, easy of install, no drilling holes, and looking pretty. Function is nowhere near the top of those priorities. Its almost always the same with wings, its just a lot easier to have a wing that is functional and looks pretty and install easily. Splitters are very height sensity and need very high rigidity to avoid bending underload and starving the underbody of air. Check profesionnaly awesome's page, they have a whole section dedicated to that and explains the mains dos and donts regarding building a splitter and other downforce generating devices.

I would wait for verus's front splitter. It's the mounting that makes or breaks a splitter. I just installed there 2 piece splitter with race upgrade. The combination of how it's mounted to the bumper and supported by 2 splitter arms which are mounted to the crash beam makes it's super ridged. There is no flex and I can even stand on it

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

NoHaveMSG 08-14-2022 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflogerzi (Post 3541371)
I would wait for verus's front splitter. It's the mounting that makes or breaks a splitter. I just installed there 2 piece splitter with race upgrade. The combination of how it's mounted to the bumper and supported by 2 splitter arms which are mounted to the crash beam makes it's super ridged. There is no flex and I can even stand on it

The mounting on the two piece Verus unit isn’t that good. I built a bracket for mine that bolts to the lower rad support and it’s much stouter. I’ve still broken it twice and it always seems to get warped, it’s getting tossed for a homemade splitter this winter.

jflogerzi 08-14-2022 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3541375)
The mounting on the two piece Verus unit isn’t that good. I built a bracket for mine that bolts to the lower rad support and it’s much stouter. I’ve still broken it twice and it always seems to get warped, it’s getting tossed for a homemade splitter this winter.

Did you have the race upgrade?

NoHaveMSG 08-14-2022 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflogerzi (Post 3541409)
Did you have the race upgrade?

Yes. There is not enough support at the rear is the main issue I see so it hinges on the splitter rods. I also made a plate that mounts the halves together more solidly. In the end, with the amount of wing I have it isn't enough splitter anyway.

jflogerzi 08-14-2022 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3541411)
Yes. There is not enough support at the rear is the main issue I see so it hinges on the splitter rods. I also made a plate that mounts the halves together more solidly. In the end, with the amount of wing I have it isn't enough splitter anyway.

Well that sucks! Keep me posted. What part of the rear? Closer to the edge or more in the center?

NoHaveMSG 08-14-2022 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflogerzi (Post 3541438)
Well that sucks! Keep me posted. What part of the rear? Closer to the edge or more in the center?

It's pretty much the whole back edge needs better support. Mounting to the bumper cover isn't that solid and the rear mounts that go under towards the back just are not enough to handle an off into the grass or a light curb strike. I supported it with a bracket about 8" across in the middle and mounted the splitter to that support and that support to the lower rad mount.

jflogerzi 08-14-2022 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3541440)
It's pretty much the whole back edge needs better support. Mounting to the bumper cover isn't that solid and the rear mounts that go under towards the back just are not enough to handle an off into the grass or a light curb strike. I supported it with a bracket about 8" across in the middle and mounted the splitter to that support and that support to the lower rad mount.

Thank you for this info. Can you snap some photos?

NoHaveMSG 08-14-2022 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflogerzi (Post 3541441)
Thank you for this info. Can you snap some photos?

I will try to.

blsfrs 08-14-2022 06:10 PM

For my side splitters (2.0), I used 1/4" composite aluminum that I bought directly from Falken Design. There prices were good and their shipping was fast. Good source of material for the DIY crowd.

dragoontwo 08-14-2022 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflogerzi (Post 3541367)
Verus often does different versions DD depending on BRZ or FRS in the past if it warrants it. I really like my street defuser on 1st gen FRS. Mounting is really sturdy

I have a message in to them already. I don't know if they verified for BRZ, but I'm not too far south from them.

jflogerzi 08-14-2022 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3541455)
I will try to.

no rush to be honest. I am wondering if they will sell me the Mounting hardware from there adjustable splitter that ties into edge support and if it would work with the 2 piece.

NoHaveMSG 08-15-2022 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blsfrs (Post 3541456)
For my side splitters (2.0), I used 1/4" composite aluminum that I bought directly from Falken Design. There prices were good and their shipping was fast. Good source of material for the DIY crowd.

Good to know. I ordered a sheet of alumalite last year and after months of waiting I was refunded my order. I will have to try those guys. It was tough to get for a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflogerzi (Post 3541492)
no rush to be honest. I am wondering if they will sell me the Mounting hardware from there adjustable splitter that ties into edge support and if it would work with the 2 piece.

I would imagine it would fit. If you do notice that the rear part of the splitter is sagging get it off the car and fixed ASAP or it will start to warp it. I had to heat mine up and park the box truck on it over a weekend to get it somewhat flat again.

Icecreamtruk 08-15-2022 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflogerzi (Post 3541371)

I find that to be the easy part. It takes me about a week to build a splitter (between the design, cutting and sanding the core, layup layers + dry time and then surface finish), but I can mount it to the car in an afternoon and that includes the time taken to go to a hardware store to get supplies.

Also, I dont mount the splitter to the bumper. I mount it to the chassis, the bumper just happens to be above the splitter, resting on it. I assume anyone building a splitter would do the same.

dragoontwo 08-19-2022 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What's in the box?