Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Silicone intake hose suggestions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144179)

gpvecchi 02-11-2021 04:52 PM

Silicone intake hose suggestions

Red manifold engines have different airbox and hose: the airbox sits half centimeter to the right, and the hose has "Larger intake boot bend radius (optimized intake air channel); the bend radius has been increased to allow for smoother flow of intake air and reduce air flow resistance."

Now, can you suggest a specific silicone pipe with the same shape and dimension of the new type, that can possibly retain the resonator and removes the sound generator?
Thank you!

Joveen 02-11-2021 05:14 PM

Ebay and call it a day.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Silviacrazed 02-11-2021 05:55 PM

Perrin makes a 17+ intake hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grady 02-11-2021 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silviacrazed (Post 3406113)
Perrin makes a 17+ intake hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What he said.

Cephas 02-11-2021 07:11 PM

Yep. I installed the Perrin and it's quite nice. Take care you align it properly to maximize the clearance from the drive belt, but it really looks good.

Ohio Enthusiast 02-11-2021 08:09 PM

The Perrin intake deletes both the sound tube and the resonator. I know there are some silicone intakes that allow for both and come with plugs you can use. Don't remember which ones now, though...

gpvecchi 02-12-2021 12:54 AM

As I said, I'm looking for a hose with the same shape as stock one. Perrin is completely different...

DarkSunrise 02-12-2021 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpvecchi (Post 3406098)
Now, can you suggest a specific silicone pipe with the same shape and dimension of the new type, that can possibly retain the resonator and removes the sound generator?
Thank you!

The only inlet hose that retains the resonator chamber (as far as I'm aware) is Mishimoto. They claim it's a direct fit for the 2017+ models as well.

https://www.mishimoto.com/toyota-86-...hose-2017.html

churchx 02-12-2021 04:11 AM

From what i recall, such wish to retain resonator has valid reasoning. Wasn't there mishimoto testing, that showed, that removing resonator alongside sound tube reduced power?

Grady 02-12-2021 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpvecchi (Post 3406178)
As I said, I'm looking for a hose with the same shape as stock one. Perrin is completely different...

We are talking Perrin intake hose not cold air intake. I believe it is exactly what you asked for. Keeps airbox and resonator, deletes sound tube, same shape, not sure on diameter in the bend but it does not have the accordion portion so less turbulence in the bend.

Ohio Enthusiast 02-12-2021 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grady (Post 3406207)
We are talking Perrin intake hose not cold air intake. I believe it is exactly what you asked for. Keeps airbox and resonator, deletes sound tube, same shape, not sure on diameter in the bend but it does not have the accordion portion so less turbulence in the bend.

The stock intake hose has another small resonator connected at the bottom of the bend. The Perrin hose deletes it. The Mishimoto one linked above has an opening for it (you can see it in the pictures with a silver plug in it).

czellers 02-12-2021 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpvecchi (Post 3406098)
Red manifold engines have different airbox and hose: the airbox sits half centimeter to the right, and the hose has "Larger intake boot bend radius (optimized intake air channel); the bend radius has been increased to allow for smoother flow of intake air and reduce air flow resistance."

Thank you!

Check this one, although it doesnt specific year..

https://86speed.com/torque-solution-...ipe-frs-brz-86

Grady 02-12-2021 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast (Post 3406220)
The stock intake hose has another small resonator connected at the bottom of the bend. The Perrin hose deletes it. The Mishimoto one linked above has an opening for it (you can see it in the pictures with a silver plug in it).

Pulled mine off and trashed it right after I purchased the car, forgot about that little one on the bottom, thought he was talking about the one fwd of the filter.

Cephas 02-12-2021 12:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the visual difference. I found it to be a preferable improvement on all fronts, personally.