Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   combination, V3 20mm/25mm kit with Tein S Tech lowering springs. (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78815)

Jaden 12-07-2014 07:28 PM

combination, V3 20mm/25mm kit with Tein S Tech lowering springs.

4 Attachment(s)
Hey guys I just finished installing stock shocks with Tein S-Tech lowering springs and the V3 combo 20mm front 25mm rear adapters and I thought I'd go ahead and post pictures and give a review of my initial thoughts after taking it for a couple of test spins...(pun intended).

Firstly, Aesthetics....

So much better looking than stock it's laughable and for those that are budget conscious for whatever reason and don't want to fork out 1000 or more for coil overs, this is definitely much better looking than stock even with stock wheels.

The back has a little bit of camber but the front, even with a 1.5" drop seems to be alright. I have some whiteline front camber bolts but I don't think I'll even need them, if I start tracking at all I'll prob install them so I can adjust for conditions though.

Second, Ride feel....

For most conditions, it feels like stock, although just getting into it, you can noticeably feel that it is lower. There are a few areas where the stiffness of the springs is noticeable.

I will list them in order of least amount of change.

1. medium to large irregularities in the road are more noticeable and a little more bouncy than stock.

2. speed bumps are quite a bit more bouncy and I'm taking them slower now than I did in the past, but I usually fly over them.

3. cornering is much stiffer and it is much easier to get the rear end loose with stock wheels and the primacy's.

4. Launch. The most noticeable thing to me is that it seems to put down more torque to the wheels on launch, it is easy to get the tires to break loose from a dead stop even in an automatic, but it seems that it's putting down more torque to the wheels from everywhere.

I'll update the thread as I get some more play with them.

I'm going to take the wheels off and check the torque on the shock bolts here in a couple of days to make sure everything is staying together good.

Jaden

8R6 12-08-2014 12:47 PM

you mustve just discovered plastidip. lol

anyway, to the original subject - i think your perception of "more torque to the wheels" is actually the fact that your rear wheels/tires are now pushed out for a wider track from the spacers and the natural camber from the drop loses some tire contact patch. this is probably what's allowing you to get wheel spin... not additional torque getting transferred to the ground.

the "bouncy" feeling you're getting is most likely from the lighter steering experience you get from the extra inch of track again (from the spacers). this plus the combination of your shocks bottoming out cuz the shock travel is too short now on those springs with stock shocks.

and lastly, if you really are looking to improve the handling on this car, adding a little bit of camber in the front would actually help you. the rears camber in naturally when the car is lowered, but the front needs the camber bolts (or adjustable top hats if you can afford) to dial in negative camber. having your front camber at 0 or near 0, and your rears at about 2deg (approximately with that drop on the teins), would make your car handle wonky... which is probably why you can make the rear end come out easily. but making the rear end come out easily doesn't mean it "handles better" lol. it actually means you're losing control of the car easier and now have to regain control of it and bring it back in before you spin out and whack in to a curb or something.

but i do agree, the drop looks way better than stock height. but thats about the only thing i agree with in this. lol

Jaden 12-08-2014 01:31 PM

yeah...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRGT86 (Post 2048450)

anyway, to the original subject - i think your perception of "more torque to the wheels" is actually the fact that your rear wheels/tires are now pushed out for a wider track from the spacers and the natural camber from the drop loses some tire contact patch. this is probably what's allowing you to get wheel spin... not additional torque getting transferred to the ground.

the "bouncy" feeling you're getting is most likely from the lighter steering experience you get from the extra inch of track again (from the spacers). this plus the combination of your shocks bottoming out cuz the shock travel is too short now on those springs with stock shocks.

and lastly, if you really are looking to improve the handling on this car, adding a little bit of camber in the front would actually help you. the rears camber in naturally when the car is lowered, but the front needs the camber bolts (or adjustable top hats if you can afford) to dial in negative camber. having your front camber at 0 or near 0, and your rears at about 2deg (approximately with that drop on the teins), would make your car handle wonky... which is probably why you can make the rear end come out easily. but making the rear end come out easily doesn't mean it "handles better" lol. it actually means you're losing control of the car easier and now have to regain control of it and bring it back in before you spin out and whack in to a curb or something.

but i do agree, the drop looks way better than stock height. but thats about the only thing i agree with in this. lol

I came to the same conclusion as I thought about it more, but it wasn't just the wheel spin that made me think that...

I never said that it handles better, but it sure is a lot of fun...lol can't really do anything with it until I make some brackets for holding my band pass box, that I built, in place. For now I have to take it easy or it slides all over the place(the band pass box, not the car...Well, that too :) ). My initial tests were while I had the subs out of the trunk... I'll also eventually make some custom boxes that will be fitted and go into the back corners of the trunk.

Jaden

p.s. no I discovered plastidip right after I got the car. It's all coming off though and then I'm replacing it with a combination of vinyl in a specific pattern and white plastidip in a specific pattern and then I'm white plastidipping the wheels to match. I hated the two tone of the original wheels. So this will be what it is until I replace the wheels. Until a few days ago I had black vinyl stripes from front to back and the dip looked more fitting..

Koa 12-08-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRGT86 (Post 2048450)

7/10 response would read again. Points off for grievous use of "lol".. points added for succient explanation of changing camber in lowering situations and advice to put camber bolts on car.

Koa 12-08-2014 02:13 PM

P.S. +1 for V3 spacers. Beautiful, lightweight, great quality for an outstanding price. Here's my 20/25mm on similar springs (sportlines) and SPC cambers up front dialed in. LCAs next!

http://imgur.com/ZQEIhDB.jpg

stevemp5 12-08-2014 02:59 PM

Where i can buy this v3 spacer!?

Koa 12-08-2014 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevemp5 (Post 2048651)
Where i can buy this v3 spacer!?

http://www.corner3garage.com/V3-Spac...WRX_p_482.html

They are the sh!t.

Jaden 12-08-2014 04:24 PM

Yep corner 3 has a great deal...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koa (Post 2048751)

The entire set is $100 with the purchase of any other item. I got the whiteline front camber bolts and the V3 spacers for $166 shipped and taxed.

I bought my tein S techs WITH and already installed on, some stock shocks for $100. So I still have my stock shocks and springs if something happens to these.

So I got a MUCH better look for $266 and a few hours of work. When I get some adjustable LCAs and some other stuff, I'll probably be into it ~$5-700, and I'll have a better handling car as well.

Jaden

stevemp5 12-08-2014 04:49 PM

Thanks guys!! Nice deal with the combo spacer/camber bolt!! The spacer kit come with 4 spacer? Front and rear? I order them right now! :thumbsup:

phobos512 12-08-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevemp5 (Post 2048845)
Thanks guys!! Nice deal with the combo spacer/camber bolt!! The spacer kit come with 4 spacer? Front and rear? I order them right now! :thumbsup:

Yes, it's a full set for $100 when you have any other item in your cart.