Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is it worth tuning a stock 86? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143350)

Robcokiwi 11-27-2020 09:28 PM

Is it worth tuning a stock 86?

Hi. Does anyone have any experience in getting a stock 86 tuned. I would like a bit more power and torque.Was thinking about getting headers and then would have to get a better exhaust but I like the car quiet. So what about just getting it tuned? If you have gone this route did it change things noticeably?

x808drifter 11-27-2020 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robcokiwi (Post 3388386)
Hi. Does anyone have any experience in getting a stock 86 tuned. I would like a bit more power and torque.Was thinking about getting headers and then would have to get a better exhaust but I like the car quiet. So what about just getting it tuned? If you have gone this route did it change things noticeably?

No, nobody has ever tuned the car.
Only option far more torque and power is an LS swap.

:slap:

Cephas 11-27-2020 09:56 PM

^ Be nice.

I bought an OFT and flashed the Stage 1 tune on my basically stock 86 (Perrin intake tube and drop-in HKS filter). I was surprised to feel (and hear, oddly enough) a decent little bump in power. Whether that's "worth it" is highly subjective, but I have this car to play with a little (while remaining a DD), so it was worth it to me as a first step to learning about the car. I'll get a header sometime soon, but in the meantime it's fun to learn how to read data logs and make little tweaks, if that's what you're into.

alphasaur 11-27-2020 09:58 PM

Quote:

You can just do header and stock exhaust with a tune. Ever so slightly louder than stock. Gives a fairly good bump over stock.

Purist 11-27-2020 10:14 PM

Catless headers and an OFT tune will transform a stock car, especially if you have access to E85.

The E85 + headers combo is not subjective. It is a double digit increase in both power and torque that you will feel without any doubt whatsoever.

Intakes, filters etc do very little.

Research OFTs very thoroughly. You can get an OFT and flash a tune yourself that will be every bit as good as a dyno tune for what you want.

Is it worth it? Absolutely, when you get bored of your car the way it is.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

HaXx 11-27-2020 10:20 PM

The tune is probably going to cost what it's going to cost regardless, so you might as well bring some parts to the table before you go in to "get your money's worth" even though ur actually spending more on parts.

Yes, a dynotune on a car off the lot would yield a little power and better driving feel, but you should absolutely get a header, even a oem one and punch the cat. The hks header is good value too. Header and tune is what u do, as I'm sure u know, dont mess around with air filters and intakes

Tcoat 11-27-2020 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephas (Post 3388393)
^ Be nice.

There is a whole sub forum dedicated to this topic. A few minutes of reading would answer this question.

Robco - I would make sure you work all the gremlins out of your car before you start changing things. It will make other issues much easier to trouble shoot if you get everything working properly first.

Yes a tune is worth it even if totally stock.

RToyo86 11-27-2020 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3388404)
There is a whole sub forum dedicated to this topic. A few minutes of reading would answer this question.

Robco - I would make sure you work all the gremlins out of your car before you start changing things. It will make other issues much easier to trouble shoot if you get everything working properly first.

Yes a tune is worth it even if totally stock.

this is one of the stickied threads in the engine section.
start here
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81493

humfrz 11-27-2020 11:58 PM

Quote:

Oh, my - :sigh:

The car came from the factory already tuned. If you like your car quiet and dependable, I'd suggest you just leave it alone.

;)

FR-S2GT86 11-28-2020 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3388423)
Oh, my - :sigh:

The car came from the factory already tuned. If you like your car quiet and dependable, I'd suggest you just leave it alone.

;)

Let Zach at Counter Space Garage do a 93 octane and E85 tune. So far I'm very happy with the results I got with no other modifications other than a higher-flow, ethanol-ready fuel pump. Butt Dyno says I've picked up about 18 HP and maybe 15 lb./ft. of torque.

I'll have to schedule another Dyno run here in the next few weeks to verify. But this is just the beginning. I've got more plans for this build.

humfrz 11-28-2020 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 (Post 3388447)
Let Zach at Counter Space Garage do a 93 octane and E85 tune. So far I'm very happy with the results I got with no other modifications other than a higher-flow, ethanol-ready fuel pump. Butt Dyno says I've picked up about 18 HP and maybe 15 lb./ft. of torque.

I'll have to schedule another Dyno run here in the next few weeks to verify. But this is just the beginning. I've got more plans for this build.

I'd have to see your butt dyno print out - :iono:

;)

FR-S2GT86 11-28-2020 02:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3388449)
I'd have to see your butt dyno print out - :iono:

;)

Attachment 195299

humfrz 11-28-2020 04:37 AM

:laughabove:

Purist 11-28-2020 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 (Post 3388447)

Stock fuel pump is ethanol ready and flow is adequate for E85 if na.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk