Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   How's the Blind Spot Monitoring? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147716)

Dylans47 11-24-2021 10:05 PM

How's the Blind Spot Monitoring?

I'm trying to decided between the base and premium models and if the BSM is junk, it would probably swing me towards base. I know with some vehicles BSM can be very touchy and pretty much tell you you should never change lanes within a mile of another vehicle.

What's your experience with the new BRZ BSM?

kaesu 11-25-2021 12:01 AM

It isn't too touchy and works perfectly thus far for me so far. The tiny window in the back is even worse for me than in the previous gen :(

LanceLane174 11-25-2021 12:10 AM

I have 2 other Subarus so I can tell you that the Blindspot monitoring is awesome. So is the cross traffic and backup monitoring. Subaru has always been a leader in safety.

Dylans47 11-25-2021 01:41 AM

Great to hear. Thanks! For 2600 the premium is well worth it.

soundman98 11-25-2021 09:30 AM

lol, a fully electronic system costing hundreds of dollars, that a simple $10 solution fixes.

https://smile.amazon.com/Best-Blind-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

x808drifter 11-25-2021 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3484306)
lol, a fully electronic system costing hundreds of dollars, that a simple $10 solution fixes.

https://smile.amazon.com/Best-Blind-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Almost as good as using your mirrors and tuning your head.

soundman98 11-25-2021 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x808drifter (Post 3484308)

my sore neck says otherwise.

my mom encouraged this. changing lanes with a suburban and standard mirrors always made me look like i was having a seizure while checking all the blind spots. the brz ain't much better with the b+c pillar positioning. but i've at least got it down to 2 motions now instead of 6.

Jegan_V 11-25-2021 10:06 AM

I would not rely on any BSM system. You should still drive in the same way as if you didn't have them. Set up your mirrors to effectively eliminate blindspots, this is the best and free way, it makes a big difference and a younger me failed to do this correctly, fortunately without consequences.

Both the BSM and the LCA system should be a last resort. A day where you're not 100% because you're ill or something went massively wrong and you're in a bad state of mind. Too many bad drivers use it as a crutch for their bad driving. Some can still miss extremely obvious things to your eyes. Big rigs with a empty flat bed often throw these sensors off, it's a nasty enemy to Tesla's autopilot.

Best item in the suite however is the rear cross traffic alert. Although you can minimize the need for it by reversing in to park, not every place this is viable. It can do something you can't physically do, act as your defacto eyes at the edge of the bumper while reversing. Since you're sitting in the wrong place to have a clear view you can only guess. This is fantastic and it sucks it's not on the base car. You of course should not assume it's 100% perfect either so still proceed slowly and safely until you can actually see.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Blighty 11-25-2021 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jegan_V (Post 3484314)
I would not rely on any BSM system. You should still drive in the same way as if you didn't have them. Set up your mirrors to effectively eliminate blindspots, this is the best and free way, it makes a big difference and a younger me failed to do this correctly, fortunately without consequences.

Both the BSM and the LCA system should be a last resort. A day where you're not 100% because you're ill or something went massively wrong and you're in a bad state of mind. Too many bad drivers use it as a crutch for their bad driving. Some can still miss extremely obvious things to your eyes. Big rigs with a empty flat bed often throw these sensors off, it's a nasty enemy to Tesla's autopilot.

Best item in the suite however is the rear cross traffic alert. Although you can minimize the need for it by reversing in to park, not every place this is viable. It can do something you can't physically do, act as your defacto eyes at the edge of the bumper while reversing. Since you're sitting in the wrong place to have a clear view you can only guess. This is fantastic and it sucks it's not on the base car. You of course should not assume it's 100% perfect either so still proceed slowly and safely until you can actually see.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Wow, look like we have an expert on the topic of blind spot monitoring.

Can I read your published papers?

Hehe. Just kidding. I do wonder if they have stats on accidents with blind spot monitoring cars vs cars without it. The assumption is it would be better, not worse, but without data its hard to know.

Yoshoobaroo 11-25-2021 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylans47 (Post 3484224)
I'm trying to decided between the base and premium models and if the BSM is junk, it would probably swing me towards base. I know with some vehicles BSM can be very touchy and pretty much tell you you should never change lanes within a mile of another vehicle.

What's your experience with the new BRZ BSM?

I like it. The limited trim was easily worth it for the stuff you get imo.

Tcoat 11-25-2021 11:17 AM

The systems in the Subarus work very well. My wife had had them in two of her cars now. The BSM is one of the best I have seen.
No you should not totally rely on it the same as you shouldn't tailgate because you have antilock brakes or smash into a wall because you have airbags.
When used in conjunction with proper driving practices things like the BSM beat the hell out of little mirrors stuck to your mirrors. A quick glance for the light will tell you if a shoulder check is even worth it and actually keeps your eyes on the road longer.

As far as moronic drivers go at least these features give them a chance to catch their stupidity. If they are not going to look at a very obvious indicator they sure as hell are not going to do a proper shoulder check.

OsageJJ 11-25-2021 11:26 AM

Forbes had an article about five years ago that was a "tl;dr" version of a research paper titled "The Geometry of Automotive Rearview Mirrors -- Why Blind Zones Exist and Strategies to Overcome Them." I used the guidance in that article to set up my viewing angles in my side mirrors of my 2019 86, and it's worked like a charm for me. Here's the link to the article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jensen/...h=3096341a5b96

Kona61 11-25-2021 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x808drifter (Post 3484308)

Even in cars that have it, you still have to check lol. Be pretty dumb to crash relying on blind spot monitoring.

Frost 11-25-2021 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OsageJJ (Post 3484333)
Forbes had an article about five years ago that was a "tl;dr" version of a research paper titled "The Geometry of Automotive Rearview Mirrors -- Why Blind Zones Exist and Strategies to Overcome Them." I used the guidance in that article to set up my viewing angles in my side mirrors of my 2019 86, and it's worked like a charm for me. Here's the link to the article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jensen/...h=3096341a5b96

I teach that to all my students that show up for our HPDE and street survival schools.

I still check anyways.

Kev