Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   On lowering springs for and stock shocks, time for new shocks... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97605)

Basket Case 11-13-2015 01:34 PM

On lowering springs for and stock shocks, time for new shocks...

So I have been on Hotchkis lowering springs and my OEM shocks. They are starting to wear, which is expected. My car has 64,xxx miles on it now, and probably the last 25,000 with the lowering springs.

This is where my dilemma comes from. Should i go for new kong or bilstein shocks, or just get coilers? At this point, it looks like i can get a set of tein or other coilers for damn near the same price as just the new shocks.

I plan on tracking the car at some point, but I DD the car, so i don't plan on slamming it with coils.

opinions?

Phantobe 11-13-2015 01:42 PM

I'm wondering the same thing a set of Konis or B8s are around ~900. You can get flex Zs for around that price.

Basket Case 11-13-2015 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantobe (Post 2450563)
I'm wondering the same thing a set of Konis or B8s are around ~900. You can get flex Zs for around that price.

That is exactly what i was thinking...The pricing just seems to make it a better option, but i could be wrong?

Shark_Bait88 11-13-2015 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basket Case (Post 2450566)
That is exactly what i was thinking...The pricing just seems to make it a better option, but i could be wrong?

The valving on low-end coilovers is generally not great. A set of Koni adjustables or B8s, especially if you get custom valving done on either, will likely be a much better suspension setup than most cheap coilovers.

Depending on what your budget would be you can get into some okay options, like RCE Tarmac0s, around the $1,500 mark. But if you're spending less than that I'd just go for a good set of shocks, preferably custom valved for your spring rates.

bfrank1972 11-13-2015 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 (Post 2450614)
The valving on low-end coilovers is generally not great. A set of Koni adjustables or B8s, especially if you get custom valving done on either, will likely be a much better suspension setup than most cheap coilovers.

Depending on what your budget would be you can get into some okay options, like RCE Tarmac0s, around the $1,500 mark. But if you're spending less than that I'd just go for a good set of shocks, preferably custom valved for your spring rates.

I would normally agree with this - but supposedly the TEIN Flex Z's are getting pretty good reviews. I don't have them but I have the older Street Flex, I think the dampers are pretty much the same except the Flex Z's aren't rebuildable. I like them a lot - don't think you can lump these in with the 'low end' coilover group (albeit they're certainly not premium dampers). Plus you get front camber plates! And you get height adjustability.

Shark_Bait88 11-13-2015 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfrank1972 (Post 2450637)
I would normally agree with this - but supposedly the TEIN Flex Z's are getting pretty good reviews. I don't have them but I have the older Street Flex, I think the dampers are pretty much the same except the Flex Z's aren't rebuildable. I like them a lot - don't think you can lump these in with the 'low end' coilover group (albeit they're certainly not premium dampers). Plus you get front camber plates! And you get height adjustability.

Ahh. After reading CSG's review of the Flex Zs it doesn't seem like all that bad of an option actually.

Nickosport 11-13-2015 03:26 PM

I've been thinking about this myself. I have lowering spring on and will need to do something about the dampers in the next year. I'm leaning to the Flex Zs because they are getting such good reviews. Id like to have camber plates; ride height is not such a big issue for me since I DD the car and don't want to go super low anyway.

In reference to the street flex/rebuilding issue - You cant rebuild the Flex Zs, but the replacement damper cartridges are relatively inexpensive. So, even if the 1st set wears out, the fix will be easy with replacement cartridges.

Phantobe 11-13-2015 03:51 PM

Well since I just bought lowering springs, I'll most likely just go with some shocks with adjustable damping and springs. Custom valving is a +++, so you can better match the shock to the spring rate.

I don't care too much about height adjustability I'm gonna be lowered about 1.2" to 1.4" on the springs, so theres no point for me to go with coilovers as I'm not gonna go any lower than that.

Coastermikey 11-15-2015 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basket Case (Post 2450547)
So I have been on Hotchkis lowering springs and my OEM shocks. They are starting to wear, which is expected. My car has 64,xxx miles on it now, and probably the last 25,000 with the lowering springs.

This is where my dilemma comes from. Should i go for new kong or bilstein shocks, or just get coilers? At this point, it looks like i can get a set of tein or other coilers for damn near the same price as just the new shocks.

I plan on tracking the car at some point, but I DD the car, so i don't plan on slamming it with coils.

opinions?

I'm a little over 60k miles, swapped my worn struts and lowering springs with flex z's. No complaints here. I DD as well.

Basket Case 11-15-2015 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastermikey (Post 2452051)
I'm a little over 60k miles, swapped my worn struts and lowering springs with flex z's. No complaints here. I DD as well.

Does it feel better then before?

ajcarson11 11-15-2015 06:35 PM

Flex Z's are a great option... just impossible to find. Not likely to be back in stock until january it seems. CSG bought out the next production run that is due in december. So you'll have to go there for any shot at grabbing a set.

Coastermikey 11-16-2015 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basket Case (Post 2452434)
Does it feel better then before?

The ride is not as harsh but feels just as responsive as when the OEM struts were brand new with the lowering springs.