Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Yakima Roof Rack w/ Pics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15028)

Nubbs 08-26-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deslock (Post 401828)
From the photos, I'm guessing that the 48" bars are just a little too short. Did the end caps come installed on the bars, or are they hard to remove? If not, I might shorten the 58" bars to be flush with the towers (using a pipe cutter or hacksaw).

Having written that, it looks fine as is. I plan to add a rack in the Spring.

You could easily shorten the bars up after you have it fine tuned. I simply roughed mine out and threw it up there. You could most likely get away with 48" cross bars, the distance between the rear towers is just over 43" which leaves a little under 2.5" inside the rear tower. I'd personally just go with the 58" bars and cut them flush which is what I'll do before it goes back up. And clear vinyl where the feet go to prevent wear and tear. If mounted on a clean roof not removed regularly, wear will be minimal if any. Still a cheaper investment to just protect your paint from the start than fixing it later on.

dietz 08-26-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounce (Post 392399)
I'm gonna try put a kayak on top

Ditto. I thought my Jackson rockstar might fit inside, (it fits in a fiat 500, 2dr civic, Saturn sl1 and other small cars) but it doesn't. Maybe a medium or small would, but not the large. On the roof is probably better anyway.

Spd229 08-27-2012 09:29 AM

That's pretty awesome.

Making the car work for your needs is what it's about.

CliffG 09-11-2012 11:14 AM

@ NUBBS: any problems so far?
@ FOOBAR: no hitch; UHAUL says maybe Oct/Nov & say if you drive to Phoenix they'll fabricate a prototype FREE

Looker_007 09-24-2012 11:42 PM

Well I'm not waiting.

1 Attachment(s)
Got a scrap yard hitch off a 97 Toyota van, cut the frame mounting ends from it, drilled holes through it to bolt to 2 eyebolt/towhooks from scrapped WRXs.
It's at my powder coater now.

Looker_007 09-24-2012 11:47 PM

Just have to figure out where to connect the brake lights to the trailer wiring, the turn signals and running lights are done.

wheelhaus 09-26-2012 01:50 PM

Nice that is exactly what I'm hoping to do over the winter, but I have some friends who can weld so I may have to commission them to help with the assembly...

Spartan65 09-26-2012 01:59 PM

I can see it now towing my Go Kart to the track with my FRS
like this.
http://www.pbase.com/pb12/image/55719732/large.jpg

CliffG 09-26-2012 08:38 PM

Not For Purists

1 Attachment(s)
The Yakima roof rack (with ends of bars cut off) is functional & my bike is happy on it. The esthetics po-lees have not pulled me over yet.

ccoley 09-26-2012 09:48 PM

I bought a SeaSucker rack a month or so ago. It works flawlessly. I've driven from Toronto to Ottawa (4.5 hours) doing 130km/hr almost the entire way with no issues at all. Takes a few minutes to install and 30 seconds to remove.

I can't stand the look of these clunky racks on top of a sports car. I'd be afraid of scratching the paint.

Tylub 09-28-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccoley (Post 462487)
I bought a SeaSucker rack a month or so ago. It works flawlessly. I've driven from Toronto to Ottawa (4.5 hours) doing 130km/hr almost the entire way with no issues at all. Takes a few minutes to install and 30 seconds to remove.

I can't stand the look of these clunky racks on top of a sports car. I'd be afraid of scratching the paint.

Picture with and without bike please (:

kykiee 12-08-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CliffG (Post 462365)
The Yakima roof rack (with ends of bars cut off) is functional & my bike is happy on it. The esthetics po-lees have not pulled me over yet.

How's the roof rack treating you so far?

inimitable 12-13-2012 11:53 PM

Looks sweet.

Just wondering how much the total cost of the rack and whatever other components needed ran you OP?

...also, if you don't mind pointing me in the direction that you found all of that stuff?

Thanks in advance

White64Goat 12-14-2012 08:09 AM

I believe in the owners manual it says that this car is NOT to be used for towing. Must be a reason why they'd write that in there.......:iono:

That set-up above on Looker is a lawsuit waiting to happen when that mishmash comes apart. Tow hooks are not designed to be used as a tow hitch attachment point....

From page 222 of the BRZ owners manual:
SUBARU does not recommend towing a trailer with your vehicle. Your
vehicle is not designed for trailer towing.