Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Is it my driving or is it the pads? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150278)

andyk5 07-03-2022 06:23 PM

Is it my driving or is it the pads?

GR86 800 miles , Buttonwillow raceway, Session 7 of the weekend, stock pads are toast. Threw in a set of powerstop track day pads PST-1539, 4 sessions later they are toast. Had an extra set of the same pads, threw those on and went to streets of willow and more than half the pads are gone.

I am not particularly fast, just middle of the pack driver.

So either I don’t know how to brake, or both stock and power stop pads are crap or this car has no brake ventilation.

Note: Brake temps were really hot, I had no probe with me but you could not get your face near the wheels without squinting your eyes due to heat coming off the rotors.

https://i.imgur.com/8RJqJFM.jpg

Jdmjunkie 07-03-2022 06:54 PM

Are you on the ABS every braking zone?

andyk5 07-03-2022 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdmjunkie (Post 3532829)
Are you on the ABS every braking zone?

Not every corner, at buttonwillow I am on the abs for turn 1, phill hill, sweeper and turn 13. So thats 4 out of 13 corners. The issue is phil hill, sweeper, turn 13 and turn 1 are back to back pretty much so I am thinking rotors can’t cool down.

EAGLE5 07-03-2022 08:16 PM

Stay off ABS. Do the pedal dance.

timurrrr 07-03-2022 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EAGLE5 (Post 3532846)
Do the pedal dance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyk5 (Post 3532822)
GR86

;)

Ultramaroon 07-03-2022 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timurrrr (Post 3532863)
;)

Does it not do it? There must be a different cheat code.

timurrrr 07-03-2022 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3532864)
Does it not do it? There must be a different cheat code.

Nobody was able to find pedal dance or other "cheat codes" yet.
(to the best of my knowledge, and I spend an unhealthy amount of time following what's going on with gen2 cars :))

Ultramaroon 07-03-2022 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timurrrr (Post 3532865)
Nobody was able to find pedal dance or other "cheat codes" yet.
(to the best of my knowledge, and I spend an unhealthy amount of time following what's going on with gen2 cars :))

It's a diagnostic mode for safe operation on rollers. The mode can be engaged in Techstream as well as using the cheat codes. It's all described in the service manual. I guess the new one is yet to be scraped.

timurrrr 07-03-2022 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3532867)
It's a diagnostic mode for safe operation on rollers. The mode can be engaged in Techstream as well as using the cheat codes. It's all described in the service manual. I guess the new one is yet to be scraped.

Yeah, I know what pedal dance is. Forgot to clarify in the previous message that nobody found that for gen2 cars.

Ultramaroon 07-03-2022 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timurrrr (Post 3532869)
Yeah, I know what pedal dance is. Forgot to clarify in the previous message that nobody found that for gen2 cars.

We have all kinds of professionals on the site. I bet no one has bothered to ask for that page of the new manual.

strat61caster 07-03-2022 10:57 PM

Get better pads
/thread

andyk5 07-03-2022 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EAGLE5 (Post 3532846)
Stay off ABS. Do the pedal dance.

Is triggering abs bad for the pads? Am I eating thru them because of that?

EndlessAzure 07-03-2022 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyk5 (Post 3532875)
Is triggering abs bad for the pads? Am I eating thru them because of that?

ABS and Traction Control aren't necessarily bad for the pads, but the way they work (rapid brake pulses) puts a lot of heat into the pads which can speed up overheating. When pads overheat, they wear away very quickly.

Using "pedal dance" or doing a long press of the traction button turns off traction control, which can help. On the flip side, you won't have traction control assisting you on the course

andyk5 07-04-2022 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EndlessAzure (Post 3532889)
ABS and Traction Control aren't necessarily bad for the pads, but the way they work (rapid brake pulses) puts a lot of heat into the pads which can speed up overheating. When pads overheat, they wear away very quickly.

Using "pedal dance" or doing a long press of the traction button turns off traction control, which can help. On the flip side, you won't have traction control assisting you on the course

Wait, rlly..it kind of makes sense though.

Ok so ABS bad because increases heat, heat bad because destroys pads. Pedal dance is not available for these cars so I guess heavy braking without engaging abs is would be my goal.

Why is traction control bad? that had nothing to do with brakes? I thought it just takes power away from the rear wheels. Do you mean stability control? I think stability control engages the brakes to keep the car …well stable.