Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Yakima Roof Rack w/ Pics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15028)

BigFatFlip 12-14-2012 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the inspiration OP. I like to go backpacking once in a while and usually take my canine friend along when I can. Unfortunately, if a buddy of mine wants to come along, my poor dog has to sit in the back cramped in between to huge back packs. Having a separate/additional cargo area would be so nice. Question for the ones who already have them (@Nubbs & @CliffG), what's the distance between the two cross-bars. Just ordered the Q towers but still trying to decide between a small cargo box (like the carguynation car from SEMA) or an open roof basket.

mangostick 01-02-2013 12:24 AM

I like the seasucker Idea.

When you dont need it you just pop em off. Personally I'd try this before clamping anything to the car. Not that the clamp on systems dont work, I just have the willies about marring paint and the rack being a pain to quickly remove/reinstall.

Hitch mount and this car shouldn't go together in the same sentence.

Xdragonxb0i 01-05-2013 02:01 AM

The bike is taller then the FRS lol

BigFatFlip 01-08-2013 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my rack and and cargo box installed. To those who are interested in installing the Yakima Q-towers, most of the info you need has been covered covered by OP (thanks @Nubbs). On thing I would add is to make sure you put some paint protection (I used the lamin-x roof rack protector) between the rack pads and your car to avoid getting those small scratches when dirt get in between the area.

To those interested in fitting a cargo box, the distance between the cross-bars is very short and neither Yakima or Thule made a cargo box that would fit that span. Fortunately, the guy at the rack place (Rack Solid) were able to find one that fit and was low profile enough to my liking (I went with the Inno Shadow 16). Worked great for some car camping new years day!

Supermassive 01-08-2013 09:26 PM

I just bought a great accessory to haul the things that won't fit in my FRS, including my bikes!!! Check it out:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...01817934_o.jpg

Flame away, but I'm just gonna say that the roof of the FRS/BRZ is super thin metal and not made to have ANY load placed on it. Just because you can doesn't mean you should...and in the words of the many internet garage gurus out there...Use the right tool for the job.

Deslock 01-08-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supermassive (Post 652602)
I'm just gonna say that the roof of the FRS/BRZ is super thin metal and not made to have ANY load placed on it. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Do you have a source for your assertion that the FT86's roof shouldn't hold a rack with a couple bikes or small cargo carrier?

Quote:

and in the words of the many internet garage gurus out there...Use the right tool for the job.

I couldn't agree with you more. Dunno what you paid for yours, but a new Titan has an MSRP of $32k-$40k, weighs ~5000-5500 lbs, and is rated for 12/17-13/18 MPG (depending on drivetrain).

For those of us that just want to carry a couple bicycles or an extra 50 lbs of gear, that's not the right tool for the job (too expensive and excessive).

Nice truck though.

BigFatFlip 01-09-2013 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Flame away, but I'm just gonna say that the roof of the FRS/BRZ is super thin metal and not made to have ANY load placed on it.

I had the same concern during my research (this is my first roof rack, never really needed it when I had my wrx). Yes the roof it self is not an ideal structure for carrying weight (just a thin piece of metal). From what I can tell, in most cars equipped with racks, the weight is actually placed on the hoop section of the safety cell (that big beefy beam that protects you on a roll over). Regardless, still not as ideal as a truck, since the designers really didn't have that function in mind.

Quote:

Just because you can doesn't mean you should...and in the words of the many internet garage gurus out there...Use the right tool for the job.

I too am in the same school of thought. Sadly, at times, we have to make due with what we have. :cry:

Kyubi 01-09-2013 10:12 PM

Thank god I have other cars.... Id be kicked out of the Cool Kid Club with a rack like that...

BigFatFlip 01-09-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyubi (Post 655066)
Thank god I have other cars.... Id be kicked out of the Cool Kid Club with a rack like that...

Lol, at least it comes off when I don't need it. I'm actually more concerned about the weight. Those towers are heavy!

Kyubi 01-09-2013 11:20 PM

Ok thank god it comes off. lol

fenixv8 01-22-2013 10:29 AM

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ps91b65e48.jpg

Hippophobia 01-23-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Flame away, but I'm just gonna say that the roof of the FRS/BRZ is super thin metal and not made to have ANY load placed on it. Just because you can doesn't mean you should...and in the words of the many internet garage gurus out there...Use the right tool for the job.

Huh? I think you need to think about things before you say them more often. The load does not go on the sheet metal of the roof. As stated, it does go on frame of the roof. That frame is part of a system designed to keep you safe if the car decides to (or you decide to make it, rather) go wheels up. Pretty sure it will handle 100 lbs of gear on a rack.

I like the rack. Awesome to see it can be used for this. I may have to pick one up for roadtrip/biking/kayaking.

dietz 01-23-2013 01:46 AM

Yeah I'm looking forward to using that set up for kayaking too. But those bars look a little close together. Shouldn't be a problem for the playboat, but I don't know about a big creeker. Does anyone know if an aerobar type rack could work on this?

that_guy 01-23-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixv8 (Post 681369)

Did I see you on the Bayfield St ramp in Barrie (assume heading to Horseshoe/Blue Mountain) on Jan 13th? I was in the black FR-S next to you - also with the Greddy SP ;)