Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   FR-S / BRZ vs.... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   S2000 vs BRZ vs Miata vs Fiat 124 (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114675)

unhappymeal 01-18-2017 10:51 PM

S2000 vs BRZ vs Miata vs Fiat 124

A great comparison video was posted on Engineering Explained. The BRZ acquitted itself quite well in the comparison. It was interesting to see him rank the BRZ over the S2000 despite owning a S2000.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WNRlyeoETw"]Subaru BRZ vs Honda S2000 vs Mazda MX-5 vs Fiat 124 - YouTube[/ame]

Mr.ac 01-19-2017 01:50 AM

Yeah.... I can't take that dude seriously when he looks like he could use a sandwich or two. Or stop doing crank.

Andrew025 01-19-2017 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.ac (Post 2834734)
Yeah.... I can't take that dude seriously when he looks like he could use a sandwich or two. Or stop doing crank.

Because that's totally relevant.

Mr.ac 01-19-2017 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew025 (Post 2834767)
Because that's totally relevant.

Yep. Also why do we need another 20 something trying to tell us rwd manual cars are awesome? Again? But that's not relevant right? :bonk:

Yardjass 01-19-2017 06:53 AM

Quote:

I can't take him seriously because he actually thinks the S2000 isn't the best of all those cars.

Andrew025 01-19-2017 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.ac (Post 2834793)
Yep. Also why do we need another 20 something trying to tell us rwd manual cars are awesome? Again? But that's not relevant right? :bonk:

Not really, no.

We obviously don't.

8RZ 01-19-2017 07:54 AM

Pretty good video, nice find.

DarkSunrise 01-19-2017 09:16 AM

Good video. It's interesting that even in this tiny segment of lightweight RWD sports cars, each has a specific sub-market. BRZ if you want a coupe. ND Miata if you want a convertible. 124 if you want your Miata to be more upscale and relaxed. S2000 if you want it more raw and high-strung.

Each has carved out a little corner of an already thin market. Encouraging to see manufacturers like Toyota/Subaru, Mazda, and Fiat work to find ways to viably bring new models to a low-volume enthusiast segment.

unhappymeal 01-19-2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Your loss. He's a mechanical engineer who also happens to be an auto enthusiast and puts out some great videos. I find his reviews to be more balanced and informative than majority of the stuff coming out of the mainstream automotive press.

Watch a few of his other car reviews. You will find that despite being an enthusiast, he's able to balance his preferences with the understanding that not every car is for everyone. The result is refreshingly honest takes on the merits of some cars that I would rather shoot myself than drive.

brzaapi 01-19-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSunrise (Post 2834838)
Good video. It's interesting that even in this tiny segment of lightweight RWD sports cars, each has a specific sub-market. BRZ if you want a coupe. ND Miata if you want a convertible. 124 if you want your Miata to be more upscale and relaxed. S2000 if you want it more raw and high-strung.

Each has carved out a little corner of an already thin market. Encouraging to see manufacturers like Toyota/Subaru, Mazda, and Fiat work to find ways to viably bring new models to a low-volume enthusiast segment.

Excellent point. And goes to show that your actual purpose or use of the car, will dictate your preference. Which is why we can all argue good (and bad) points back and forth all day long. No wrong choice, just a more right choice for your goal.

Its why i own both a BRZ and S2k....:thumbsup:

....so i dont have too decide.

DarkSunrise 01-19-2017 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brzaapi (Post 2834882)
Excellent point. And goes to show that your actual purpose or use of the car, will dictate your preference. Which is why we can all argue good (and bad) points back and forth all day long. No wrong choice, just a more right choice for your goal.

Its why i own both a BRZ and S2k....:thumbsup:

....so i dont have too decide.

Exactly. People love to argue which is better, but it really comes down to intended use (and subjective elements like styling, interior, etc.) :cheers:

~el~jefe~ 01-24-2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unhappymeal (Post 2834846)
Your loss. He's a mechanical engineer who also happens to be an auto enthusiast and puts out some great videos. I find his reviews to be more balanced and informative than majority of the stuff coming out of the mainstream automotive press.

Watch a few of his other car reviews. You will find that despite being an enthusiast, he's able to balance his preferences with the understanding that not every car is for everyone. The result is refreshingly honest takes on the merits of some cars that I would rather shoot myself than drive.

he really knows what he is talking about. Seriously does. Without him, I would have never even bought a subaru, let alone a brz/frs.

Yardjass 01-25-2017 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~el~jefe~ (Post 2838281)
he really knows what he is talking about. Seriously does. Without him, I would have never even bought a subaru, let alone a brz/frs.

If anything, I'd complain that he dumbs things down too much and explains more than he should. He does too good of a job. Then again, I'm an engineer too, and probably not really his target audience.

ChimpMania 01-31-2017 05:19 PM

Quote:

i hate his face