Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Toyota to scrap Scion brand, but FR-S will become a Toyota! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100949)

chulooz 02-03-2016 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2533185)
I would love to know how many they actually MADE for each of those years though. Could be they only made half as many and sold them all in which case the sales were pretty good.

Sales never bounced back after '08 regardless of how many they built. This was a cheap appliance brand. When your profits flow from volume and that volume isnt there then you get a failing brand. Sales success is not based on a built to sold ratio. My guess is by '11 they knew they needed to give it the axe. Curious that they launched in Canada though, so maybe they realized it even later than '11. And since they are keeping the lineup they only need to change badging and paperwork.

c4lvinnn 02-03-2016 12:01 PM

Aw man. Now everyone who has Toyota badges on their toyobaruion won't confuse the general public anymore. :(

I had fun telling people that it was the new Supra all the time.

Weigaldo 02-03-2016 12:05 PM

This actually makes me like the FRS even more. Scion was already limited to North America and now the FRS is limited to the 5(?) production years... I doubt it will be the case, but it makes me think maybe 20 years down the road a stock FRS will be desirable to someone outside of NA like the 90's JDM cars are to us.

gymratter 02-03-2016 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86geek (Post 2533258)
Yup, I agree with that. They should have left the xB the way it was. I almost bought a xB in 2005 but I didn't care for the ride. Bummer to see Scion go but perhaps the FRS will finally be called 86 or GT86 in the USA. ;)

I like 86. IMO "GT" is used too much by pretty much every automaker.

Tcoat 02-03-2016 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AznBRZer (Post 2533254)

:D

I honestly do not recall ever saying any such thing. Unless I was just ragging on somebody as a joke. I could not care less what people badged their car.

Tcoat 02-03-2016 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weigaldo (Post 2533282)
This actually makes me like the FRS even more. Scion was already limited to North America and now the FRS is limited to the 5(?) production years... I doubt it will be the case, but it makes me think maybe 20 years down the road a stock FRS will be desirable to someone outside of NA like the 90's JDM cars are to us.

Nope. A badge is a badge. It isn't like the cars are different (yet)

shadoken 02-03-2016 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weigaldo (Post 2533282)

But the JDM cars actually STOPPED production , the FR-S is going to continue as a Toyota.

I really doubt people would pay a premium just for a scion badge , when they can easily just buy replacement badges and do it themselves.

c4lvinnn 02-03-2016 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2533314)
Nope. A badge is a badge. It isn't like the cars are different (yet)

Exactly.

The 90s JDM cars we like are the Skylines and RHD 180SXs that had the CA18DET and such.

We never got those cars, regardless of badging. This is completely different.

RichardsFRS 02-03-2016 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2532939)
Yeah some truth!!!!!!!!!

Yea dude but the truth hurts you and I and some others are buncha old farts driving kids cars:D

Blah get off my lawn!

Cessblood 02-03-2016 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rican_D (Post 2533047)
Sadly this was bound to happen. They lost the feel of what Scion was supposed to be a long time ago. The brand became just another car company. I had fun at all the Scion exposed events, Scion VIP, and that trip I won with them. Miss those days....

The Scion exposed and the scion VIP events were awesome.

johan 02-03-2016 12:20 PM

Yay, in August I can put a Toyota badge on my FR-S and not feel like I'm cheating.

Tcoat 02-03-2016 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chulooz (Post 2533270)
Sales never bounced back after '08 regardless of how many they built. This was a cheap appliance brand. When your profits flow from volume and that volume isnt there then you get a failing brand. Sales success is not based on a built to sold ratio. My guess is by '11 they knew they needed to give it the axe. Curious that they launched in Canada though, so maybe they realized it even later than '11. And since they are keeping the lineup they only need to change badging and paperwork.

Sales vs made is the only number that you can judge by. They plan to build so many based upon forecast. If they say they are going to sell 100 and build that many but only sell 2 they are in trouble. If they plan for 100 and sell 98 then they planned well. If they plan for 100 and have orders for 200 they missed the mark. Judging success by just counting how many were sold is not a real measure.
Now if they plan for 100 and only sell 2 year over year they are going to can it but we have no idea how many they planned to sell. They were never after Corolla volumes on this car.
Going by just by sales volumes there should be no Super Cars made and everybody should be driving a minivan or SUV.

TRD-X 02-03-2016 12:25 PM

I don't care what Toyota wants to call the 86 I have a "Banana RaceCar" RS 1.0....

I'm good.

funwheeldrive 02-03-2016 12:25 PM

This makes me think that the MY17 revision is going to be a lot more upscale, especially on the inside.