Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Updating Gracenote to show more cover art? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140263)

slow.86 05-09-2020 09:07 PM

Updating Gracenote to show more cover art?

Hi guys!

Infrequent poster here, I'm sure this question has been asked a million times before. I've got a 2017 86 packaged with Toyota's shitty head unit. Content with it for the most part, but my only gripe is the default "Dance", "World", "R&B" covers that they use for probably 95% of my music when connected through Bluetooth. I understand that plugging it in through USB seems to solve this problem, but I find it more convenient to use Bluetooth and charge through the 12V.

Anywho, is there anything I can do to make Gracenote more compatible with my music? Can I flash different software to the head unit altogether? Anything helps, thanks!

DarkPira7e 05-09-2020 09:13 PM

They likely prioritize audio quality rather than wasting bandwidth searching your ID3 tags for useless album art

slow.86 05-09-2020 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3329161)
They likely prioritize audio quality rather than wasting bandwidth searching your ID3 tags for useless album art

When I said "anything helps", this wasn't what I meant.

sunami88 05-10-2020 01:40 AM

I'm gonna be watching this thread closely... I absolutely hate the GraceNote database thingy in my MY16. Sometimes it'll show my custom album art (from the USB stick), but most of the time it won't. I personally converted ~95% of the tags/folder.jpg's myself to fit on an MP3 player ages ago, and so it's always mystified me when once in a blue moon it'll show my "custom" art. And the builtin ones for Dance etc seem like they're about 20x20 pixels and fugly as ****.

A small complaint overall, especially since I'm usually too busy driving to look at the thing, but it's still annoying when I do.

P.S.
Always thought it was funny that for the band Death (youtube.com/watch?v=zQMMQXlEd3E) it shows a picture of three white guys :P . Evidently there were two bands called Death.

P.P.S.
Can I not even post a link to a Youtube vid without taking over a whole page for something most people here don't care one tiny bit about? What the heck...

tehShirt 05-10-2020 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow.86 (Post 3329158)
Hi guys!

Infrequent poster here, I'm sure this question has been asked a million times before. I've got a 2017 86 packaged with Toyota's shitty head unit. Content with it for the most part, but my only gripe is the default "Dance", "World", "R&B" covers that they use for probably 95% of my music when connected through Bluetooth. I understand that plugging it in through USB seems to solve this problem, but I find it more convenient to use Bluetooth and charge through the 12V.

Anywho, is there anything I can do to make Gracenote more compatible with my music? Can I flash different software to the head unit altogether? Anything helps, thanks!

https://toyota-en-us.visteoninfotain...date-gracenote

I've used this to update my friend's Tundra. I'm not sure if it will work for your 86 but it might help.

Opie 05-11-2020 01:34 PM

Toyota probably has an update for it...Subaru does.

Nails 05-12-2020 11:19 AM

I asked Toyota about updating the Gracenote database in my 2016 FRS, which I believe is the same head unit you have. They told me they weren't able to update it unless the unit came with navigation, which it didn't. I tried using other Gracenote databases, but the system would not accept them. Gracenote annoyed me so much that I ended up replacing the head unit with a Pioneer AVH-ZL5150. Problem solved.