Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   [QUESTION] 2017 Toyota 86 In Canadian snow? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121305)

milkydude12 08-16-2017 02:49 AM

[QUESTION] 2017 Toyota 86 In Canadian snow?

Hi, im new to the forum :D. I've already read the "New Member & have question? Read here first!" and well, I'm thinking of purchasing a Toyota 86 (manual). I'd like to know if anyone here has ever driven the Toyota 86 in Calgary/Edmonton/Fort Mcmurray.

If so, lets say you have good winter tires on, whats the chances of getting stuck in snow? Is it easy to get out of the snow? are there things I should do to make winter driving more relaxing? I plan to daily drive the 86. I know the Toyota 86 can be driven in snow, however the amount of snow is not really specified in the "New Member & have question? Read here first!" (Canadian winters are typically worse than American winters).

Tcoat 08-16-2017 07:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkydude12 (Post 2962928)
Hi, im new to the forum :D. I've already read the "New Member & have question? Read here first!" and well, I'm thinking of purchasing a Toyota 86 (manual). I'd like to know if anyone here has ever driven the Toyota 86 in Calgary/Edmonton/Fort Mcmurray.

If so, lets say you have good winter tires on, whats the chances of getting stuck in snow? Is it easy to get out of the snow? are there things I should do to make winter driving more relaxing? I plan to daily drive the 86. I know the Toyota 86 can be driven in snow, however the amount of snow is not really specified in the "New Member & have question? Read here first!" (Canadian winters are typically worse than American winters).

Lowered 1.5 inches.
In the snowbelt dead center of all the great lakes.
Daily driven for 3 winters.
Drive minimum of 1,300 kilometers a week.
Have never been stuck.
With good snow tires zero the thing is a tank in the snow.
I have had to stop to help push AWD cars out of my way several times.
Do it!

Yousend 08-16-2017 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2962954)
Lowered 1.5 inches.
In the snowbelt dead center of all the great lakes.
Daily driven for 3 winters.
Drive minimum of 1,300 kilometers a week.
Have never been stuck.
With good snow tires zero the thing is a tank in the snow.
I have had to stop to help push AWD cars out of my way several times.
Do it!

I got stuck twice in 3 winters. Once I parked on pure ice. Other time I was leaving a parking with 2-3' of snow and an Impreza got stuck in front of me. Had to push him, then when he left I got stuck. The car is pretty good otherwise.

I only had a scary moment with this car though during a lane change, but the variables were not in my favor. Rainy winter day, slush, black ice, very windy, etc... You name the bad conditions, it was there. The drive train is not the reason for this scary event, I wasn't even pressing the throttle during this lane change because I know better.

Shinigami301 08-16-2017 01:23 PM

Finally, I've reached an age when I can shake my head at all these people who never learned to drive what everyone in my generation learned to drive on in snow- RWD with heavy front ends and bias tires.

Trust me, you spend a few years driving a '72 Charger with almost bald recaps in snow and ice on a regular basis, and you'll have a different perspective on what the 86 can do with proper Nokians and all the nannies.

(Didn't hurt my skills that the last 4 miles to my house were dirt at the time, either)

Celica00 08-16-2017 01:34 PM

I spent 2 winters in the mountains of Utah and Sundance with the FRS and it all comes down the quality of the snow tires. DO NOT get cheap snow tires. Like @Tcoat mentioned, I've had to assist stuck AWD vehicles to get out of my way when heading for the slopes.

Tcoat 08-16-2017 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinigami301 (Post 2963173)
Finally, I've reached an age when I can shake my head at all these people who never learned to drive what everyone in my generation learned to drive on in snow- RWD with heavy front ends and bias tires.

Trust me, you spend a few years driving a '72 Charger with almost bald recaps in snow and ice on a regular basis, and you'll have a different perspective on what the 86 can do with proper Nokians and all the nannies.

(Didn't hurt my skills that the last 4 miles to my house were dirt at the time, either)

LOL AMEN to that!

Like my first winter driven car:

http://wwwcdn.oldcarsweekly.com/wp-c...a-SS-main2.jpg

The same as the car that was the hardest to drive in the winter (I think we had the same tires):

https://assets.hemmings.com/blog/wp-...7/IMG_4092.jpg

And let's not forget that for decades little old ladies used to drive around in the winter in RWD cars with not a single powered assist in the whole thing. Get back pre 1955 and a heater was a luxury.

http://theoldmotor.com/wp-content/up...-1940s-Car.jpg

NOHOME 08-16-2017 02:34 PM

Hard to believe for all you young wiper-snappers, but back in the Olden-days ALL cars were RWD, and people actually survived winter driving.

With snow tires, the FRS will drive through the same snowfall as any other daily commuter car sold by other companies be they FWD or RWD. The Posi rear end actually puts you in the top of this group since it is rare in a FWD vehicle.

I live around the corner from TCoat and hence the same driving conditions. Never been stuck.

NOHOME 08-16-2017 02:43 PM

Hey Tcoat...you missed the inaugural run of my new winter beater ;)

I love the look on peoples faces when they figure out this is a Miata! Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrLF1IWVXps"]WP 20170723 004 - YouTube[/ame]

imnotsureaboutbrz 08-16-2017 02:45 PM

I have zero issues driving in the snow, another tip, is go up on the bias on the tires. I have Blizzaks WS80 215/50/17 instead of 215/45's and that gained me some extra ground clearance.

Tcoat 08-16-2017 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz (Post 2963251)
I have zero issues driving in the snow, another tip, is go up on the bias on the tires. I have Blizzaks WS80 215/50/17 instead of 215/45's and that gained me some extra ground clearance.

16 inch wheels help as well. That little bit more sidewall makes a difference in the snow.

Tcoat 08-16-2017 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOHOME (Post 2963247)
Hey Tcoat...you missed the inaugural run of my new winter beater ;)

I love the look on peoples faces when they figure out this is a Miata! Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread.

WP 20170723 004 - YouTube

https://media.giphy.com/media/11TvyKJKXKszAs/giphy.gif

imnotsureaboutbrz 08-16-2017 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2963257)
16 inch wheels help as well. That little bit more sidewall makes a difference in the snow.

Yes! tires are cheaper too! But that wasn't an option for me, with the PP brakes...

Tcoat 08-16-2017 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz (Post 2963262)
Yes! tires are cheaper too! But that wasn't an option for me, with the PP brakes...

Ya that would be a problem. I got 16 inch sleelies so I don't even have to worry about ice freezing between the spokes of an alloy wheel.

ImAdopted 08-16-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkydude12 (Post 2962928)

from edmonton- just had snow tires and no problem the whole winter, yeah it can get crazy if you let it but just be smart while driving and extra aware of others more than anything